Mobil-1 ESP or Rotella MV T6 5w30 in gas-only vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
Anyone here using either Mobil-1 ESP 5W30 or Rotella Multi-Vehicle T6 5w30 in a gas-only / GDI / TGDI engine?
Please give us a review on either one. Please limit comments to gasoline-only engines.

I am running ESP in my 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T that gets very spirited driving on a daily basis. I also have run a couple oil analysis on it because it has the fuel dilution problem all small GDI turbos have. Good #'s so far and I still have 12 bottles in my stash. In the winter I dump at 3,000 and the summer 3,750. I am happy with it. I go back and forth on going to Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro, but then I go "my #'s are fine and I have the 100C and HTSH at 3.5 I want, so I keep saying to myself should I change, yes, no, yes, no."

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

Last I checked neither of these oils are SN Pus for DI engines. Not sure how the Bittoggers have embraced SN plus. Seems the main thing is the need for low Calcium which Rotella MV is, at 1250 ppm. Not sure about Mobil 1 ESP.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by Mainia
Mobil1 5w-30 ESP.

And you "dump" it at 3k?

3750 is Severe Duty in HyunKia manuals. Besides, TGDI's in Korean makes can produce some scary, black-as-night oil in 3K, noted with stop&go city driving and long, cold start idles.

I was interested in a switch for a few hours. Now I've decided to stick with SN Plus oils in my two HyunKias. I'll bow-out of this thread now..... thanks for the replies

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Anyone here using either Mobil-1 ESP 5W30 or Rotella Multi-Vehicle T6 5w30 in a gas-only / GDI / TGDI engine?
Please give us a review on either one. Please limit comments to gasoline-only engines.

The only way to give a review is to run the same oil for 200-300K(miles) and make a judgement then. However since almost no one does that (oil skippers) how can you get an accurate report?

Last edited:
Mobil1 5w-30 ESP.

And you "dump" it at 3k?

As Triple_Se7en stated, Hyundai's abuse of oil is correct. In Minnesota winters, short hwy on ramp 1/8th mile away from home that you need to get up to speed ASAP, and 17lbs boost at 1,450 rpm, I need to somewhat pre warm my car up every morning for 4 mins before going to work. Well over 5% fuel dilution which now is a "yawn" after seeing no wear through UOA. And thrashing the motor with being on boost more then most, it is the cost of doing business in a car that is in "Sport Mode" most of its life.

I never asked for a thorough, 200k report. See poster's Mainia's reply for an example.
Why do you attend this thread? Are you interested in removing yourself from Mobil-1 oils? Entertaining buying a light diesel vehicle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Triple_Se7en

Timely thread I can contribute to.

Here is a link to a recent UOA on T6 5w-30 MV off a 2019 Subaru FB20 engine.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...otella-5w-30-mv-5820-miles-o#Post5328387

Last edited:
tig1

I tend to run the same oil/filter combo a minimum of three times as a matter of course for data consistency. Juts the way I do it.

I will have another T6 5w-30 MV UOA in about 6 months since I went back with the same combo. We'll see what the numbers show.

Mobil1 5w-30 ESP.

And you "dump" it at 3k?

As Triple_Se7en stated, Hyundai's abuse of oil is correct. In Minnesota winters, short hwy on ramp 1/8th mile away from home that you need to get up to speed ASAP, and 17lbs boost at 1,450 rpm, I need to somewhat pre warm my car up every morning for 4 mins before going to work. Well over 5% fuel dilution which now is a "yawn" after seeing no wear through UOA. And thrashing the motor with being on boost more then most, it is the cost of doing business in a car that is in "Sport Mode" most of its life.

I would be looking for a cheaper oil like SuperTech, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying jbutch...

PP
QSUD
Rotella T6 MV
Mobil-1 ESP
Pennzoil Euro LX (current)

Has your Subie ever had the same oil two OCIs in a row? Just curious! Why the constant swapping-out? Just because it's fun to keep trying different oils?
If that's the reason, I get it. Many here do the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OS4A
tig1

I tend to run the same oil/filter combo a minimum of three times as a matter of course for data consistency. Juts the way I do it.

I will have another T6 5w-30 MV UOA in about 6 months since I went back with the same combo. We'll see what the numbers show.

Numbers show very little. It takes long term use to make a better assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back