Mobil 1 5W30 in Subaru Outback Turbo 3750 mi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, a quick question for Subaru owners. I just bought a 2008 Outback 2.5 XT Turbo which calls for 5W30. I'm running M1 5W30 which I hear it loves from other Subaru owners. But, Subaru recommends 3750 mile oci with the turbo models. Is it just a waste of money or can I extend these drains to 5k+?

The manual recommends 3750 oci on all turbo models with any 5W30. I can get the M1 5W30 for less than $5/qt, so it's no big deal. Just seeing if anyone goes 5K on the turbos?

Originally Posted By: Xstang
I could rant here, but I'll let these people do it for me:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134379&highlight=mobil+1

I like how they compare M1 5w30 to T6 5w40 and Shaeffers 5w40. Apples to oranges anyone? There's a M1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 that is a much better one to one comparison with T6.

I would not extend the interval on any 5w30 oil past 3750. I would however feel comfortable running a 5w40 synthetic for 5k. That's my opinion on the matter.

Want definitive proof?

Run two M1 OCIs out to 3.75k miles, then do a UOA.

Why ask when you can develop your own answer?

Originally Posted By: AWDfreak
Originally Posted By: Xstang
I could rant here, but I'll let these people do it for me:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134379&highlight=mobil+1

Even on IWSTI, I haven't heard too many great things about Mobil 1 on turbocharged Subarus.

It's just what I've seen/heard though.

As for the short OCI, it is a turbocharged Subaru engine, which supposedly can be heavy on motor oil.

Exactly. WRX owners on NASIOC have been complaining about using Mobil 1 in their turbocharged cars ever since it was first introduced here in 2002. Something about spun bearings, I believe.

Your manual says that 5W-30 is preferred and that thinner oils provide the best fuel economy. It also list thicker viscosity oils and says that they are required to properly lubricate the engine in high temps. There are severe condition recommendations for up to 50 grade oils.

Most Subaru turbo owner's prefer more robust oils like GC, RT6, and oils with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. Basically anything that isn't Energy Conserving. The 3,750 mile interval became a recommendation from SoA when sludge in the oil screens became a problem. I blew a turbo with just over 20k miles on it (although I'm not sure if sludge was the exact cause) and I always perform uoa's.

There have been a few good Energy Conserving uoa's popping up though. On nasioc (linked above), there were some recent good Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum uoa's. There's also a decent M1 0W-30 uoa posted here (after most of us told him he was crazy) that was run in a Cobb Stage 1 Forester XT. And there's even a good SuperTech 5W-30 posted here from a Cobb Stage II(?) WRX.

You're not going to find many Subaru turbo uoa's going much past 5k though, or even several consistent EC uoa's. I go about 6k and used to go to 7-8k. Subaru has changed the interval on 2011 turbo's to 7,500 miles, but I believe they made changes to the oils screens several years ago as well as did some oil line rerouting in the 2011's.

-Dennis

Personally, I would use T6 5w40 in it at the factory intervals while under warranty (if still applicable). After take it out to 5k or so with a UOA. My folks have a turbo Outback and use M1 5w30, but it requires a bit more top off than I would like. Haven't convinced them to try another oil in it though, as "Mobil 1 is the best".

Subaru turbo's can be hard on oil.

Thanks for all the info. I thought M1 5W30 was more sought after in Subaru turbos, I guess not the case. I may just get a few jugs of the Rotella and run that. I really don't care about fuel mileage in this car since it's rarely driven and only gets low 20s/gal anyhow. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Your manual says that 5W-30 is preferred and that thinner oils provide the best fuel economy. It also list thicker viscosity oils and says that they are required to properly lubricate the engine in high temps. There are severe condition recommendations for up to 50 grade oils.

Most Subaru turbo owner's prefer more robust oils like GC, RT6, and oils with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. Basically anything that isn't Energy Conserving. The 3,750 mile interval became a recommendation from SoA when sludge in the oil screens became a problem. I blew a turbo with just over 20k miles on it (although I'm not sure if sludge was the exact cause) and I always perform uoa's.

There have been a few good Energy Conserving uoa's popping up though. On nasioc (linked above), there were some recent good Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum uoa's. There's also a decent M1 0W-30 uoa posted here (after most of us told him he was crazy) that was run in a Cobb Stage 1 Forester XT. And there's even a good SuperTech 5W-30 posted here from a Cobb Stage II(?) WRX.

You're not going to find many Subaru turbo uoa's going much past 5k though, or even several consistent EC uoa's. I go about 6k and used to go to 7-8k. Subaru has changed the interval on 2011 turbo's to 7,500 miles, but I believe they made changes to the oils screens several years ago as well as did some oil line rerouting in the 2011's.

-Dennis

^ This... Dennis covered what you need to know.

Originally Posted By: Grossomotto
Thanks for all the info. I thought M1 5W30 was more sought after in Subaru turbos, I guess not the case. I may just get a few jugs of the Rotella and run that. I really don't care about fuel mileage in this car since it's rarely driven and only gets low 20s/gal anyhow. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Good Call! Trust me, you'll love it.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Personally, I would use T6 5w40 in it at the factory intervals while under warranty (if still applicable). After take it out to 5k or so with a UOA. My folks have a turbo Outback and use M1 5w30, but it requires a bit more top off than I would like. Haven't convinced them to try another oil in it though, as "Mobil 1 is the best".

+43547698

Stil wouldn't go more than 3K-3500K

Last edited:
I'm not crazy just misunderstood
lol.gif

I agree Dennis covered it all very well!

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes

If they really like Mobil 1 they should try M1 Turbo Diesel 5w40. I would personally also use T6 5w40 over M1 TD 5w40 but M1 TD 5w40 would definitely be a better option than M1 5w30.

I think M1 0w-40 would be the perfect oil for this car, a light 40 weight that can handle the punishment of a turbo motor.

M1 5w30 is overrated. There are a thousand other oils I'd rather run in that car, notably Shell Rotella T6.

M1 5-30 is an outstanding oil especially in high heat applications like turbos. It is one of the few oils that have the Honda HTO-06 turbo rating, as does PP 5-30. M1 5-30 also carries the GM Dexos rating. I have friends that use it with well over 300K with high OCIs(10-15K).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back