Mobil 1 5W-20 SN VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is a VOA of M1 5W-20 SN (Non-EP). Nothing special that I see, BUT I would like to point out the TAN level. While some may assume a virgin motor oil would have a TAN of 0.0, one can clearly see this is not the case. Seeing this may help one understand that just because the TAN number "crosses" the TBN this is not necessarily a condemnation point since (in this case) the TAN started at nearly 3.0 and (at least I) believe it is the TAN overall increase that matters. Right, Wrong, Other?

Discuss and enjoy!

Code:

Date: 10/13

Oil Brand/Type: M1

Oil Viscosity: 5W-20

API Service: SN

Lab: BLKST

Aluminum: 0

Chromium 0

Iron: 1

Copper: 0

Lead: 0

Tin: 0

Molybdenum: 67

Nickel: 0

Manganese: 0

Silver: 0

Titanium: 0

Potassium: 6

Boron: 79

Silicon: 5

Sodium: 1

Calcium: 974

Magnesium: 739

Phosphorus: 634

Zinc: 755

Barium: 0

cSt Visc. @ 100°C 8.60

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 54.4

Flashpoint in °F 415

Fuel % 0.0

Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.0

TBN 9.0

TAN 2.9

For comparison, PQIA tested the 5w-30 grade (SN also), and reported somewhat higher additive numbers across the board:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/mobil1.htm

Alas, it may just be lab-to-lab variation.

As for TAN, it is never zero. Quite common to see it above 2 in modern oils. But according to some labs, the crossover point to TBN is still the condemnation point, whether right or wrong.

Yes nothing out of the ordinary here other than being a quality product.
I don't see the point of the product vs the superior M1 AFE 0W-20 that is intended for 5W-20 applications unless it is cheaper and you do need a heavier 20wt oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I don't see the point of the product vs the superior M1 AFE 0W-20 that is intended for 5W-20 applications unless it is cheaper and you do need a heavier 20wt oil.

Except that I thought 0W-20 was not superior over 5W-20 because 0W-20 does not meet the high temperature deposit requirements of ILSAC GF-5 or no?

Thanks for posting this! I am currently running the M1 5w-20 in my Crown Vic Police Interceptor and do not plan to use anything else.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
It's a gf-5 oil

No dispute there; but 5W-20 meets the high temperature deposit requirements of GF-5 and apparently 0W-20 does not.

The 0W-20 is GF-5, but not dexos1. M1 went through the trouble of getting 0W-30 approved, a grade that isn't particularly popular since OEM's generally don't spec it. So one would think they'd have gotten 0W-20 approved too if it would pass. I prefer 0W oils too, but the 5W-20 does seem to have some performance advantage here.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
It's a gf-5 oil

No dispute there; but 5W-20 meets the high temperature deposit requirements of GF-5 and apparently 0W-20 does not.

This makes no sense. How can XOM claim that M1 0w-20 meets ILSAC GF-5 if it doesn't meet GF-5 high temp deposit requirements?

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-20_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx

I took that from the GF-5 website - ILSAC GF-5 If my interpretation of that is wrong, fair enough. It states "New to GF-5 30 mg maximum Total Deposit Weight. Note: No TEOST 33C limit for SAE 0W-20"

The way I read it, the 0w-20 grade is exempt from this test. However, we don't know whether M1 0w-20 would pass it or fail it if it was subjected to it.

But since 0w-20 grades are exempt, that's probably because it would be very difficult if not impossible for them to pass it, so you may be right.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Except that I thought 0W-20 was not superior over 5W-20 because 0W-20 does not meet the high temperature deposit requirements of ILSAC GF-5 or no?

In general 0w20 does not have to meet the TEOST 33C requirements which 5w20 does have to meet, but Mobil states specifically that AFE 0w20 can be used in any 5w20 application, implying that AFE does pass the TEOST 33C test.

Originally Posted By: Mobil Website
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic oil is recommended by ExxonMobil for SAE 5W-20 and 0W-20 applications in all types of gasoline fueled passenger cars, SUV’s, vans and light trucks.

Additionally we can infer from the specs that AFE 0w20 meets that it can in fact be used in 5w20 applications. Particularly the fact that it meets the Ford 5w20 spec.
Originally Posted By: Mobil Website

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy is of the following quality level:
Ford WSS-M2C930-A
General Motors GM 6094M
API CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back