Mobil 1 15W50, 6k mi OCI, 21.6k mi, C7 Corvette Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.
All mileage is in kilometers not miles.

Notes from oil slip: "25 hours of track time + street. Had a few cold starts at 5F. Was the oil too thick? Did it cause any problems? I've switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 for winter." The OLM was at about 30%

Previous fill was Mobil 1 15W50.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

@ 5F I would have thought a 15W50 would have been a possible problem, it appears not. That's a nice dose of ZDDP in that oil. I wonder if a 5W50 would have made a difference, or if it would have sheared? I'd be interested in seeing how the 5W30 does. I might have been tempted to use a 5W40 for the winter, or Mobil 1 ESP 0W40. Thanks for posting.

Nice report. Those C7 Z-06's are awesome. I would use the 5W30 or a 0W30 in the wintertime if you are not doing any racing. Nice to see you are not scared to drive the car due to the miles you are putting on it.

Yes M1 15W50 is a great performance oil, shear stable, solid zinc at ~1100 ppm, and after 6k miles a decent retained TBN of 4.7 with a modern (LSPI friendly) Ca & Mg detergent package. Plus it carries the Euro A3/B3 spec.

Well I was a little concerned in colder weather but this is a good report. Changing my oil to Mobil1 15w-50 per the manual for track use in a couple weeks. Looks like I can leave it in.

Wow, love that flashpoint. Interesting aluminum trend but probably noting to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back