Mobil 0w-16, 9,700 miles, 2019 Toyota Camry, 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder Dynamic Force

This is a nice report for a great engine. Used a Fram Ultra filter, an 8 month interval with 60% highway, 40%city and short trips. For all the too thin naysayers and 5k with synthetic oil changers, this report hopefully will open some eyes. Toyota factory recommended oil change interval of 10k, 1 year seems to work great for my application. Not trying to start a war here but maybe with some more results like these, the 10k interval will become more accepted. Thanks
Here are two UOA on my wife's 2017 Subaru Crosstrek. She drives maybe 75% highway.
I felt I was absolutely wasting serviceable oil doing 6K mile changes, so I extended that ~ 50%
The older UOA is with Valvoline Advanced 0W20.
Traded car at almost 100K and the engine was running better, smoother than new and used no oil.
She has a long highway commute daily so an easy fit for and extended OCI. - Ken

17crosstrek_UOA_112919_8199mi.jpg

Here are two UOA on my wife's 2017 Subaru Crosstrek. She drives maybe 75% highway.
I felt I was absolutely wasting serviceable oil doing 6K mile changes, so I extended that ~ 50%
The older UOA is with Valvoline Advanced 0W20.
Traded car at almost 100K and the engine was running better, smoother than new and used no oil.
She has a long highway commute daily so an easy fit for and extended OCI. - Ken

View attachment 107766

hwy miles are kind on motor oil. This particular engine probably runs clean.

For EPA fuel economy, they test 45% hwy - 55% city. They think that is the more common split for average driver. So lets calculate the "highway equivalent". Lets use 2x as well as 1.5x for how much 'harder' a city mile is than a hwy.

10,000 oci combined = 4500 hwy + 5500 city
hwy equiv (assuming 2x) = 4500 + 2 x 5500 city = 15,500
hwy equiv (assuming 1.5x) = 4500 + 1.5 x 5500 city = 12,750

6,000 oci (subuaru rec oci) = 2700 hwy + 3300 city
hwy equiv (assuming 2x) = 2700 + 2 x 3300 city = 9,300
hwy equiv (assuming 1.5x) = 2700 + 1.5 x 3300 city = 7,650

your subaru, assuming 9K mil oci with 75% hwy:
hwy equiv (assuming 2x) = 6750+ 2 x 2250 city.............= 11,250
hwy equiv (assuming 1.5x) = 6750 + 1.5 x 2250 city........= 10,125

Now lets see oil % usage:
. ........................................................vs 10K OCI......vs.....6k OCI
Your subaru 2.0x city: ...............73%............................121%
Your subaru 1.5x city:................79%.............................132%

This is a nice report for a great engine. Used a Fram Ultra filter, an 8 month interval with 60% highway, 40%city and short trips. For all the too thin naysayers and 5k with synthetic oil changers, this report hopefully will open some eyes. Toyota factory recommended oil change interval of 10k, 1 year seems to work great for my application. Not trying to start a war here but maybe with some more results like these, the 10k interval will become more accepted. Thanks
Every Toyota engine I change oil on has relatively clean looking oil and filters, even when people wait for the "maintenance required" light, they're just good engines that run clean and have very fine tolerances. Try that crap on a Hyundai GDI engine and you will be one of those people who's engine locks up on the freeway at 100k.

Where I work we do lots of fleet Kia/Hyundai vehicles who get 7500k+ oil changes with 5w20 and they all end up with knock codes and stuck in limp mode once they get over 100k.

I don't have the will power to go 10K between changes on any motor oil, thin or thick.
I think with a proper quality oil and robust grade, you can do Seasonal oil changes.

Driven Typical miles to Infrequently - Seasonal Spring and Fall oil changes are only required

Driving over Typical miles? 3X oil changes: early Spring/ mid Summer/ late Fall should do it.

So my Ford will get 2900 mile OCi the wife would get 7500 mile OCI in this modest proposal.

Kuddos for having the stones to go that far with a direct injected engine. Maybe Toyota and Ford have the GDI issues licked when they added the port injectors to keep the intake valves from cruding up. I wonder if adding the port injection to the direct results in less fuel blow by past the rings to the crankcase? I have been pushing the limits for port injection engines by going 15K-22K miles. Keep it up.

Back