Mixing Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've learned enough from here and YT so that I will feel good about adding leftover new oils to my Ford Fiesta in 2020 when I do my next OCI. I have about 1 quart of leftover PYB 5w30, and about 1 qt of NAPA 5w30 SB, and will add 2 qts of Super tech 5w30 FS. That's going to be my oil cocktail, with a new Fram PH3614 filter. I'm anticipating the coming of that great day, LOL. I was actually going to recycle the leftover oils until I saw how some of the engines fared better on cocktails like this than they did with one type of oil.

Hmm...this is my thoughts...it really won't matter either way, especially on a 3,000-5,000 mile run. So have fun. And like I always say...if it makes you feel good, do it.

Mix away, all oil are compatible with each other, you are not going to ruin an engine mixing, but not going to make it last longer either.

Just be aware that your viscosity will not be precise if mixing weights, but since your just mixing 5w-30 of different brands, not an issue.

I'm not a believer of deliberately mixing oil. Top off in a pinch ok. I wouldn't even mix oils for my 255k mile 26 year old F150. But that's probably why my vehicles got to where they are with trouble-free miles.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Where did you see that an engine "fared better" on a cocktail of oils? That's not possible via a UOA.

On a youtube video on my TV.

I'm just doing this next time to get rid of a few leftover oils I have sitting around, then I'll be using mostly all the same oils per OCI.

Don't think it makes much difference although the only oil burning on my Soul was when i threw a half quart of Harvest King 5w30 syn on top of some 5w20 Maxlife. Half quart in 6000 miles. Probably more about the 5w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
Where did you see that an engine "fared better" on a cocktail of oils? That's not possible via a UOA.

Yeah, hmm.

Making stuff up just to create a post on Bitog isn't nice.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Mix away, all oil are compatible with each other, you are not going to ruin an engine mixing, but not going to make it last longer either.

^^^ Pretty much 100% end of the thread, right here ^^^

Originally Posted by blupupher

Just be aware that your viscosity will not be precise if mixing weights, but since your just mixing 5w-30 of different brands, not an issue.

Compatible is simply that they mix, can be cooled to the combined freeze point, and then heated to 150C, and then cooled back to the freeze point with 7 reference oils, and they don't split like salad dressing or blow chunks of precipitate.

That's ALL that the compatibility test offers.

It doesn't offer that any two 5W30s when mixed will be a 5W30 (in partiular the 5W part), nor that a 0W20 and 0W40 will have a 0W at the start of it. In fact, all off the serious failures (and there have been a few), it was the "W" end of the spectrum that failed, in the Toyota factory fill case, with an incompatible service fill, the "W" grade became so bad that the engines couldn't pump the oil at any sort of reasonable temperature.

Extremely rare, and in a warm climate, seriously unlikely to cause any issue.

But if you are in 0W country, and you NEED 0W, the Myagi defence applies...best defence is no be there.

Originally Posted by Shannow

It doesn't offer that any two 5W30s when mixed will be a 5W30 (in partiular the 5W part), nor that a 0W20 and 0W40 will have a 0W at the start of it. In fact, all off the serious failures (and there have been a few), it was the "W" end of the spectrum that failed, in the Toyota factory fill case, with an incompatible service fill, the "W" grade became so bad that the engines couldn't pump the oil at any sort of reasonable temperature.

Would that be as a result of some kind of incompatibility in PPD's??.. inquiring minds want to know!...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
Yep, PPDs, Viscosity Modifiers, and other "waxy" additives.

Tx..ðŸ‘

Unless you live north of the arctic circle, its extremely doubtful you'll run into any issues, and even up there, the risk may be a small one. But running one oil is still less risky as pointed out by other posters.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I'm not a believer of deliberately mixing oil. Top off in a pinch ok. I wouldn't even mix oils for my 255k mile 26 year old F150. But that's probably why my vehicles got to where they are with trouble-free miles.

Probably not.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke

Yeah, hmm.

Making stuff up just to create a post on Bitog isn't nice.

I didn't make anything up and your comment was uncalled for.
I reported your reply and hopefully it will be deleted.
I don't appreciate being called a liar and will stop with that, pending action taken by an admin.

First, let's not get all wadded up here; perhaps we can take a step back and relax.

Second, I will take this opportunity to properly challenge the statement the OP made; that which claims a cocktail lube fares better than a typical single brand offering. If you're going to make that kind of a statement, please be prepared to back it up. If you saw it on YT, please post a link (as long as it's a family friendly example). I will note that YT vids are not exactly considered to be of high credibility here on BITOG, because any "expert" can post their opinions on YT, and pretty much be immune of any challenges. The same can happen here at BITOG, but at least we get to directly challenge the source for it's credentials and proof.

Simply put, if you make a claim, be prepared to back it up with evidence, and even be prepared to defend it against opposing views. There is no requirement here to agree; only to act with civility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back