Mixed grease and Mobil 1

I thought 5w30 M1 was a little light and didn't stay on parts very long.
I used the 90/10 ratio of oil/grease to come up with an interesting concoction.

The amber color of m1 is totally gone, instead it looks mostly like liquid grease. More dense than M1 but nowhere near as dense as grease.

Notes: When heating grease to mix it with M1, do it outside if at all possible, the smell gave me a total headache. Wear a mask, it's bad.

I've mixed oil and grease for decades to come up with the viscosity I considered ideal for various applications, but never have I heated it, because you don't need to.

Fashion up a stirrer, whether it be something fancy or just a piece of wire bent in a few hoop shapes like a kitchen wisk, then just put that in a drill, or easier still a drill press.

You can go further. You can also, or instead, mix in gasoline to make a viscosity you can pump into areas where you need it to flow into crevaces, but want the gas to evaporate and leave behind a higher viscosity. This is particularly useful for relubing mechanisms with old hardened grease in place, where it is not reasonable (or necessary or worth the bother, etc) to remove and clean the entire mechanism when it just needs infused with some gas to loosen up the old grease, then new w/tiny amount of oil added. The alternative for those who don't want to bother is just flood the area with WD-40, move the mechanism around, then add the grease while the WD-40 still has the old grease softened. To clarify, a significant gas addition is something you do for an automobile you can store outside till the smell goes away, not indoor applications. Indoors, use the WD-40 instead.

Now here's a crazy question. If 5W30 was only a "little" light, why not just use a heavier oil like gear oil? There is a range of viscosities from oil at room temperature to grease at colder or room temp, or warmer, and you can get whatever you need, as a ready made product. However I don't like to stock that many goops as ready made products and take up the shelf space and tie up money unnecessarily for 5X lifetime supply of something, many times I only need a few drops per decade of something so no way I'm going to buy a tube just for that. Instead when I mix up up a batch of a certain viscosity, I just store the excess in a plastic pill bottle, or syringe, or syringe w/needle application, or an eyedrops bottle, or... I have a few, lol, but most important to me is they have practically no cost and very minimal storage space needed. I can store 10 goops in the space that one grease cartridge takes up.

As far as taking 5W30 9:1 with (NLGI 2?) grease, that is about the ratio I use to relube substantially worn, motor sleeve bearings. Less worn, I'd just use straight 5W30 or W20 or 0W20.

Shotgun? I don't think this is the right direction to go, that a lightweight oil is better and just apply it more often. What problem are you having with it (not) stay on parts very long?

Last edited:
Interesting to heat it. I’m surprised it wouldn’t just work in.

You must have gotten it pretty hot to get it to stink so bad!

I am curious if the oil to thickener ratio is what makes the difference in NLGI thickness grades.

If 5W30 was only a "little" light, why not just use a heavier oil like gear oil?

That's really the thought that crossed my mind. I didn't consider gear oil but I do need something heavier than 5w/30.

anyway this concoction I got is an interesting recipe. It's a little stickier than regular oil of any brand but nothing like grease. I have 12 ounces of that stuff now.

Interesting to heat it. I’m surprised it wouldn’t just work in.

That's how the guy in the youtube video did it. It wasn't mixing it unheated. Once grease became liquid *(and very stinky) it mixed in a nanosecond.
and stays mixed as far as I can tell.

What problem are you having with it (not) stay on parts very long?

There is no problem. I just had a bit of grease left over and the can felt stinky, wanted to put it to some use. Consolidating thing and I've heard of people doing it. Especially at the 50-50 ratio, which to me is too much.

Really I've tried lots of oils and combinations and my fav is Ballistol. I've used M1 over the last year with no discernible difference. It's not better, or worse.

I won't do this grease / oil mix again as the stuff stinks, that's the only thing.

^ As I already mentioned, there is no need to heat it at all so no more stink than the oil or grease would normally have at room temperature. I just set it on my drill press and let it go at low speed for a couple minutes, similar to mixing paint.

I can kind of see that hearing it might help, but that would also mean below a smoke point where lots of stink is released.

I’m thinking like 180F, something that is well within the accepted usage range, but enough to reduce viscosity and enhance mixing ease.

You have to heat it to make it liquid and reduce viscosity, I have no other tools to mix them.

It's certainly a weird concoction. Seems to dry out / run less than pure oil.
I've used Ballistol for 20 years. it's nice. Smells nice too. Mobil is doesn't smell as nice, or as strong. But doesn't seem to offer any advantages over Ballistol.

You have to heat it to make it liquid and reduce viscosity, I have no other tools to mix them.

You do NOT have to heat it at all for NLGI 2 (or thinner) grease. Well maybe if it's stored out in an unheated garage in the dead of winter and you can't bring it inside to warm up to room temperature first.

I have mixed up batches countless times. It just takes a drill and whatever you want to fashion into a wisk to put in the chuck, or even, put a real wisk in the chuck. If the wisk is undersized for the container then you will also need to rotate the container around a bit to get full coverage.

Heating did it make it far easier, basically turn it on and stir, if you discount the terrible stink.

It's just oil with a bit of grease mixed in, an interesting combo. It's neither oil nor grease. I don't know what it is at this point.

lol, It Is Not Easier To Heat It. That's doing it the hard way compared to just letting a drill do the stirring work.

I'd hate to see how you make mashed potatoes. 🔨:eek:

Back