Mixed Emotions! Little Angry but Blessed!!

Took a short 150 mile trip to the beach with the kids (Spring Lake Beach NJ) in the 2015 F150. No canopy tents allowed (COVID of course) so after 6 hours in the open we packed it in and headed home. Great beach day! Still light when we got home so being the nut like so many of us here, I checked the oil. I had to check it 3 times! There was only 1/4" oil showing on the bottom of the stick. This 5.0 burns less than a quart over 7500 miles. I was nauseous! Took a look underneath and the culprit was easily identified. See pic.

Angry because a failure like this on a 5 and a half year old truck that only had 50k easy miles is not ok in my book. Blessed as it looks like the failure happened close to home. I believe I lost 2-3 quarts of 8 quart sump. Could have really been an expensive disaster. The truck did not go to limp mode and of course no idiot lights appeared. There were no knocking noises and the engine was smooth throughout the drive to and from. Big guy in the sky was lookin out! Now to the repair!

Checked the fill tube because I'm a little out there.....I was happy to see there was still some oil up on the chains but that's not exactly meaningful. Made me feel a little better though.

Attachments

• F150 Hose Crack.jpg
    F150 Hose Crack.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 440
  • F150 Fill Tube 50k .jpg
    F150 Fill Tube 50k .jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
2-3 quarts lost, no big deal. Glad you caught it in time. I take it that it's an oil cooler line that gave up?

Took a short 150 mile trip to the beach with the kids (Spring Lake Beach NJ) in the 2015 F150. No canopy tents allowed (COVID of course) so after 6 hours in the open we packed it in and headed home. Great beach day! Still light when we got home so being the nut like so many of us here, I checked the oil. I had to check it 3 times! There was only 1/4" oil showing on the bottom of the stick. This 5.0 burns less than a quart over 7500 miles. I was nauseous! Took a look underneath and the culprit was easily identified. See pic.

Angry because a failure like this on a 5 and a half year old truck that only had 50k easy miles is not ok in my book. Blessed as it looks like the failure happened close to home. I believe I lost 2-3 quarts of 8 quart sump. Could have really been an expensive disaster. The truck did not go to limp mode and of course no idiot lights appeared. There were no knocking noises and the engine was smooth throughout the drive to and from. Big guy in the sky was lookin out! Now to the repair!

Checked the fill tube because I'm a little out there.....I was happy to see there was still some oil up on the chains but that's not exactly meaningful. Made me feel a little better though.

Look for any oil leak that may have gotten on that hose. EPDM rubber last a very long time but has almost no resistance to oil even small amounts will soften it.

That does look like a coolant line. In my research on these coyote engines they are known to consume oil, the amount your describing is well within spec however.

I believe its oil cooler line. It's not a coolant line. Large amount of oil sprayed underneath the chasis.

THats not an oil line, thats a coolant line to the oil cooler. The oil cooler is an oil to coolant cooler sandwiched between the oil filter and engine block

I'm in need of some learning. I have no loss of coolant but 2 to 3 quarts of oil loss. Oil is coated on the underside of the chassis. Is it possible that coolant line is cracked but not broken and somewhere else there is a leak of that magnitude? Sure made sense it was coming from that hose. There is oil sprayed all around it.

Interested to learn something new.

I'm in need of some learning. I have no loss of coolant but 2 to 3 quarts of oil loss. Oil is coated on the underside of the chassis. Is it possible that coolant line is cracked but not broken and somewhere else there is a leak of that magnitude? Sure made sense it was coming from that hose. There is oil sprayed all around it.

Interested to learn something new.

Could it be the filter?

Thats easy enough to find out. I can change the filter and we can eliminate that one.

That hose looks scary though!

Yes , changing the filter would be an easy / cheap thing to try . And , yes , I would replace the hose .

When you replace the hose there will be no doubt what was inside

I believe ya!! Just trying to learn as much as I can. Hope it is the filter as that would be an easy and cheap fix.

My kid had a double header today. Got home a little while ago and changed the filter. What BIGTOG'R doesn't have extra filters on hand?

Changed the filter, added 2 quarts oil and dipstick was at full. That was good to see, only 2 quarts lost. Started it up and no leaks. Wiped the area by the oil filter to make sure and started again. Had my fingers by the contact point of the filter to the housing and I have no leaks.

Took pics of the old oil filter. FRAM Ultra. It had 6500 miles from last oil change. And 4100 miles on this change. Baffled how this happens.....Let me know your thoughts. Could it have gotten loos eover time? I hand tighten and usually it takes a wrench with a little leverage to get it started off.

JeffKeryk was on!

Attachments

• Fram Ultra F150 1.jpg
    Fram Ultra F150 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Fram Ultra F150 2.jpg
    Fram Ultra F150 2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 148
My kid had a double header today. Got home a little while ago and changed the filter. What BIGTOG'R doesn't have extra filters on hand?

Changed the filter, added 2 quarts oil and dipstick was at full. That was good to see, only 2 quarts lost. Started it up and no leaks. Wiped the area by the oil filter to make sure and started again. Had my fingers by the contact point of the filter to the housing and I have no leaks.

Took pics of the old oil filter. FRAM Ultra. It had 6500 miles from last oil change. And 4100 miles on this change. Baffled how this happens.....Let me know your thoughts. Could it have gotten loos eover time? I hand tighten and usually it takes a wrench with a little leverage to get it started off.

JeffKeryk was on!

That usually only happens if the old filter gasket was left on the mounting surface, and the new oil filter was snugged down on top of it. Make sure the old oil filter gasket isn't still stuck on the mounting surface...

Did the gasket come off with the old filter? I know a guy who double gasketted his F150 and ruined his engine. It's happened to my son as well but he caught it. Oops. I don't think the previous post was up when I sent.

Last edited:
Back