Mitsubishi J4 CVT Fluid-Valvoline CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CVT service is due in my wife's Outlander and the dealership advise me that the 2016 Outlander does not have a serviceable filter. The CVT service consist of a drain & fill. I'm not to thrilled to pay them $280 for something I can do for easily myself with $60 worth of fluid.

The Valvoline CVT Fluid states it's compatible with Mitsubishi J1/J4. My question is has anyone used this in their Mitsubishi CVT with any issues?

Thank you in advance!

Ive used plenty if Valvoline CVT fluid without issue. Use it mostly in Nissan as its not a red color.

If the Mitsubishi CVT fluid is red then use Castrol CVT fluid. If is anything else then Valvoline will work for that. Only reason i do that is if there is an issue during warranty period they can;t use the color to make your life hard. After the warranty is over then you can run what ever is onsale.

The Jatco CVT will have a serviceable filter. They're mounted behind the fluid cooler/heater assembly, or under a separate external housing on the case. I doubt a Mitsubishi dealer would know or even care to address them. There's also a typical mesh filter under the pan.

Main thing is refreshing the fluid. A filter change would be nice at higher mileage IMO.

Originally Posted by JTK
The Jatco CVT will have a serviceable filter. They're mounted behind the fluid cooler/heater assembly, or under a separate external housing on the case. I doubt a Mitsubishi dealer would know or even care to address them. There's also a typical mesh filter under the pan.

Main thing is refreshing the fluid. A filter change would be nice at higher mileage IMO.

What mileage would you recommend? 100k?

For the filters, I'd think 75-100K miles. For fluid refreshing? 25K and then every year or so.

There is also a fluid degradation value that is resettable in the ECU. What you are paying for at the dealership should include this step. The ECU knows how long the fluid has been in the trans, and adjusts the adaptives accordingly. New fluid will feel much smoother in the transmission with the degradation value reset. I have performed this procedure at the Kia/Mitsubishi dealer I worked for. Most techs don't know about it and just spill and fill the trans. Especially the kids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69Torino
There is also a fluid degradation value that is resettable in the ECU. What you are paying for at the dealership should include this step. The ECU knows how long the fluid has been in the trans, and adjusts the adaptives accordingly.

I know Jatco units do have a fluid life monitor of sorts in Nissans. It's mentioned in Nissan factory service manuals, but I assume it comes with all Jatcos. I was under the impression that any adaptive learning the CVT does is based on inputs only. Not on the value the counter gives. Nissan says to change fluid if the counter exceeds 210000 points or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back