Mini 14, Very Expensive

Used to be the other way around .

I liked the Mini-14 , but accuracy was not up to that of a decent AR . So , I got rid of it .

Hard to buy an AR for $500...

But still, the Mini-14 is more expensive. It’s more expensive to make, frankly. Steel vs. aluminum. Complex shapes and machining. Gas piston vs. DI. Lower production numbers,so higher overhead. It adds up.

Similarly, the 3rd generation Smith & Wesson pistols were expensive to make, with all stainless steel (Some had aluminum frames) construction, and complex machining. They were durable, accurate, well made guns.

But a polymer frame was far cheaper to make, and the 3rd gens were hundreds of dollars more than a Glock, for example. So, S&W watched sales decline, stopped production, and rolled out the polymer frame M&P series to stay competitive.

Mini-14 sales have remained consistent. So, by the way, have sales of the M-1A by Springfield Armory. So, guns based on the M-1/M-14 design soldier on, despite their greater difficulty in manufacture.

Last edited:
Hard to buy an AR for $500...

But still, the Mini-14 is more expensive. It’s more expensive to make, frankly. Steel vs. aluminum. Complex shapes and machining. Gas piston vs. DI. Lower production numbers,so higher overhead. It adds up.

Mini-14 sales have remained consistent. So, by the way, have sales of the M-1A by Springfield Armory. So, guns based on the M-1/M-14 design soldier on, despite their greater difficulty in manufacture.

Beat me to the draw on that one, that's exactly the answer.

I have the prints for all 4 ( throwing the Garand into the mix too) and making a few mods of my own for better accuracy ( on the mini)- the AR can literally be made with a hand file and a drill- not so with the other three and there's a heat treat step in there too

I've always had a soft spot for the Mini-14 . It's not as cool as a tricked out AR but it's still a neat gun . I think it has it's place .

I had a dark walnut later model (accurate) Mini14. Great gun. Never one stoppage and as I say by 2010-2011 or so they had the accuracy issues worked out. I bought it new and did not consider it a rip off. My safe being over full and hardly, like never shooting it, I sold it when I was consolidating cash to buy the WRX. A little bummed about that now - but it held it's value. (seems like I've done OK in that department). I probably do like the AR platform better for common plinking, just because comfort, adaptability and ease of cleaning.

Wood, different action, less interchange of parts, etc.

Theyre nice but I never got the itch.

I've enjoyed shooting my Mini-30 (walnut) since I bought it new in 2006 for about $650. I like a lot of things about my ARs, but I enjoy the ergonomics of the Mini more than my ARs. The steel and walnut is also just aesthetically nicer.

Accuracy is fine for what it is - a 100-yard gun. No problem keeping a 20-round magazine of shots inside a paper plate, easily, at that distance with iron sights, from a bench rest.

I do wish they'd made it reliable with cheap steel milsurp ammo, which is what most people have in mind shooting when they buy a rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm. I hear it's the hard primers on the steel milsurp ammo that is the problem. That said, for me, it's been a random issue that only happens maybe 1 round out of every other magazine, if that. Not a problem for plinking/target shooting, which is what I do with my Mini-30.

Never had any kind of malfunction with new factory brass-cased ammo. And, to be fair, the owner's manual clearly states only to use brass-cased ammo. So, that's what I keep in it.

If you get one, do stick with factory magazines. I haven't found any aftermarket magazines that work worth a darn. Not so much of a problem now, as factory Ruger 20-round magazines are available (they weren't in 2006 when I bought the rifle).

I have a 58x series Mini-14. It's a good carbine. Like most Rugers, at least of older design, it's a bit analogous a plow. Supremely utilitarian, immensely durable, and rather more difficult to break than other guns. My brother and I often joke that you can drive a tractor over a Ruger M-77 (or a Mini), and then pick it up it'll still shoot just fine. Mine shoots similarly well to many cheap ARs I've shot in the same or slightly lower price range, but not nearly as well as competition ARs that cost a lot more. I often hear that older Minis didn't shoot well after the first couple shots. IDK.

I figure a decent AR should shoot 2 MOA off of sand bags , with USGI ammo & iron sights . At least for a younger person with good eye sight .

The Mini-14 I had was stretching it to do 4 MOA under the same conditions . I do not know . The new ones may do better . If so , why did it take Ruger so long to improve them ?

Keep in mind , I have owned several Rugers , I am not a Ruger hater .

The Mini-14 I had was stretching it to do 4 MOA under the same conditions . I do not know . The new ones may do better . If so , why did it take Ruger so long to improve them ?

I'm a big Ruger fan too but I also design weapons.

The reason the Mini has "accuracy issues" is well known and can be designed out ( for a price) ( By that I am excluding all shooter issues, ammunition and furniture related failure modes- just the action only)

Its not a "defect' by any proper application of the word. It is the same "problem" ( just scaled) that exists on the M-14 and M-1A- its just more "prevalent" on the mini because it has the least mass and different metallurgy that its two bigger cousins.

Then again, Ruger doesn't advertise this as a tack driver or match rifle outright- its a ranch rifle and as such is accurate for its intended design and use.

The short answer is the inherent "spring response" in the receiver which over time changes POI- this combined with a cantilever barrel load, recoil, that bolt design and loose fitting furniture create somewhat of a floating POI that varies from rifle to rifle.

The cure is to add more mass and rigidity to the receiver and barrel- but that's a re-design and costs more

I figure a decent AR should shoot 2 MOA off of sand bags , with USGI ammo & iron sights . At least for a younger person with good eye sight .

Well with a Mini 14 if the barn is you target go inside and close the doors and you'll hit your target 100% of the time!

The AR 15 is a commodity product. The market has been driven by price. Those who can make parts less expensive get more business. This drives down the price of the completed product. I built an AR15 pistol early this year and had $321 in the build. That's for a functioning 300 Blackout.

I've seen AR15 rifles in the past couple of weeks for $400.

The Ruger Mini 14 is made by one company. It's also a more complicated design.

Firearms at the moment seem to be 20-100% above the prices of a few months ago. Depends on the firearm, but prices are up substantially over the past few months.

Back