Mineral or synthetic in ATV with wet clutch?

What is the recommended OCI for these atv?
The book say normal service after break in is 100 hours, 1,000 miles or 1 year. Whichever comes first. Severe service with include dust and mud riding, plowing or commercial use, cut the intervals in half. We mud ride as well as trail ride and I’m going to put a plow on one of my side by sides. I will be using the 50 hour or 500 mile intervals.

The book say normal service after break in is 100 hours, 1,000 miles or 1 year. Whichever comes first. Severe service with include dust and mud riding, plowing or commercial use, cut the intervals in half. We mud ride as well as trail ride and I’m going to put a plow on one of my side by sides. I will be using the 50 hour or 500 mile intervals.

We have a huge family/friend trip to Jericho up in Berlin, NH every labor day. I head up for 2 weeks and we can ride 100-120 miles a day on certain days. If it's been a dry summer, the dust is so bad, it's ridiculous. I bring spare air filters and oil for mid-week changes after only a few hundred miles. Last year, we wore covid medical masks due to the dust and the machines are sucking in the same air. My mask was black after returning from a trip to Errol, NH.

I would personally use mineral oil for these shorter than recommended oci.

Used to run 0w40 Amsoil in the Raptor but this last change I ran 5w40 Rotella T6 because I had it on the shelf already. I don't feel any difference in the shifting.

I went ahead and did the first service with the mineral 10w40 I had. I wrote to the manufacturer asking which oil they recommended for my machine and they said to use the 10w40. I asked about mineral or synthetic and they only would reply that you can’t go wrong with mineral as long as it’s changed around 500 miles. The engine did have a lot of break in “glitter” when it was drained. The filter was clean without and metal pieces visible by eye. I’ll probably do another break in change in about 25 hours just because.

Rotella T4 15/40 carries the JASCO MA2 rating. Seems T6 does as well, based on data sheets posted in threads here, but the MA2 listing isn't on the T6 bottles.

I have a wet clutch Yamaha 250cc street legal motorcycle and a CanAm 90cc kids ATV with a dry CVT belt.

The motorcycle has always shifted better with conventional 10W40 oil. I use the cheap Valvoline motorcycle oil that's $4.XX a quart at Walmart. I tried synthetic and hated the shift quality.

The kids ATV is just an engine with no wet clutch system. The 2018 manual calls for 5W30 or 10W40. The 2021 manual of the same exact ATV, recommends 10W40 or 10W50 for hot climates. Because they upped the viscosity recommendation in the owner manual, I believe they found out that the 5W30 recommendation in the older manual was far from ideal. I live in Florida, so I guess that's a hot climate. I already had Mobil 1 15W50 in stock in the garage, so that's what I put in the ATV.

On your wet clutch side by side, I would be just fine using the conventional 10W40 oil you have, and using it in all your equipment.

Back