Million Mile Chevy 3500

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://youtu.be/v8SNMebcb5Q

Apologies if this has been posted. I thought this was kinda cool. This man is self-employed, towing RVs across the continent for a living. He's got just over 1 million miles on his 2006 and just over 500k miles and counting on his newer GMC rig. Of course, the question we all want to ask is "What lubes did you use?" But I don't think he ever mentions it - he does, however, mention his OCI is 10,000 miles. Based on member DNewton3's experience with the Duramax engine, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using dealership bulk.

At about 11:20 into the video, he starts to talk about his maintenance schedule. His biggest takeaway - "Read the owner's manual".

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
https://youtu.be/v8SNMebcb5Q

Apologies if this has been posted. I thought this was kinda cool. This man is self-employed, towing RVs across the continent for a living. He's got just over 1 million miles on his 2006 and just over 500k miles and counting on his newer GMC rig. Of course, the question we all want to ask is "What lubes did you use?" But I don't think he ever mentions it - he does, however, mention his OCI is 10,000 miles. Based on member DNewton3's experience with the Duramax engine, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using dealership bulk.

At about 11:20 into the video, he starts to talk about his maintenance schedule. His biggest takeaway - "Read the owner's manual".

If you use a good quality synthetic oil of the proper grade and follow the owners manual and recommend service intervals, in most cases you will do well. "What Lube did he use? I am glad he did not mention it.

Dealership bulk I have found to be much more contaminated then straight-off the line, into the bottle samples.

Most vehicle owners do not take the time to even check their fluids at fuel ups, and wait for the light to come on the dash or message to pop up.

It's time for Chevy to trade him a hugely discounted new one for that million-miler. Or, just give him the keys to a new one.
smile.gif

My 2006 Alaskan Chevy K1500 5.3L is doing just fine at 187K miles. She gets all synthetics, except for the occasional Chevron Supreme OCI during summers anymore.

My cheap commuter AWD Equinox is getting Kirkland Signature FS 5W-30 oil the next two OCI's. Should be fine.

Last edited:
Watched the video through and loved it. As a fellow engineer, I get this wholeheartedly get this owner. Good guy. Conservative driver.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Watched the video through and loved it. As a fellow engineer, I wholeheartedly get this owner. He's a good guy and conservative driver that likes challenges.
He's earned his stripes and has many stories to tell. I like his great white north stories (I have the same). I'd hire him to move trailers as much as possible. We're two peas in a pod.

Edited.

Great video. Shows if you do regular scheduled maintenance you'll get lots of miles out of your vehicle.

I liked the story of stranded driver during blizzard.

He takes the time to keep up the appearance of the vehicle. He has a consistent schedule.

Impressive to me is that his maintenance inputs are so minimal—-consistent but minimal.

In 1997, not long after I got hired at Q Lube (remember those?), we had a customer with a 1988 Chevrolet W/T 2500 roll over 1M miles on the all original drivetrain. He had a construction business and drove over 400 miles per day on average...hauling materials to job sites and meeting with clients for estimates, collecting payment, etc. Got his oil changed twice a month at our shop.

Never used anything other than our bulk Quaker State 10W30 and Quaker State oil filters which were made by Champ Laboratories. That shop had done every single oil change from when the truck was new. Local Chevrolet got GM corporate on board and have the man a brand new 1998 Chevrolet 2500 W/T. They featured the deal in a local loyalty themed commercial for the dealership.

Down the road, closer to Atlanta, another Q Lube customer went 1M miles in a Isuzu Trooper. Again...nothing but bulk 10W30 and Quaker State filters.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Watched the video through and loved it. As a fellow engineer, I get this wholeheartedly get this owner. Good guy. Conservative driver.

Ditto … I'd buy him an 18 ounce Porterhouse to hear some more ! Great man and vehicles !

Likely a stock LBZ. It's a 2007 OBS (akin to the 2006). That the drivetrain is pretty much still intact (save for the fuel injectors/pump) does not surprise me at all. The Dmax/Alli is a good combo and lasts a long time with just routine maintenance. The wear rates are so low on both the engine and trans that they'll outlast most any person. Heck, even he finally got bored of his truck and got a 2015 ...

What shocks me more is that it's not rusted to death like mine was. Salt and poor quality metals ravaged my truck; brake lines rusted out, tranny line, PS lines, door skins, rear diff, etc. If it had not been for those continuing issues I'd still have mine. But I got smart and traded it off before the cosmetic rust got bad; still had decent value.

I worked on the the trans at Allison supervising the lab group that built and tested all the prototypes.
The other day a Duramax pickup pulled up next to me and I noticed the rockers were all rusted out and then I thought well it's almost 20 years old. Time passes fast.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
In 1997, not long after I got hired at Q Lube (remember those?), we had a customer with a 1988 Chevrolet W/T 2500 roll over 1M miles on the all original drivetrain. He had a construction business and drove over 400 miles per day on average...hauling materials to job sites and meeting with clients for estimates, collecting payment, etc. Got his oil changed twice a month at our shop.

Never used anything other than our bulk Quaker State 10W30 and Quaker State oil filters which were made by Champ Laboratories. That shop had done every single oil change from when the truck was new. Local Chevrolet got GM corporate on board and have the man a brand new 1998 Chevrolet 2500 W/T. They featured the deal in a local loyalty themed commercial for the dealership.

Down the road, closer to Atlanta, another Q Lube customer went 1M miles in a Isuzu Trooper. Again...nothing but bulk 10W30 and Quaker State filters.

Thanks for sharing. Long ago 10w30 was usually the better oil. It held up better too.My buddy worked a independent oil shop and told me that QS 10w30 was the most sold. I followed that until I went 10w30 M1 Tri Synthetic back in 1999.

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
His biggest takeaway - "Read the owner's manual".

Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
spankme2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back