Michelin XLT/AS vs Defender LTX MS?

I'm looking at XLT/AS and the Defender LTX MS for my '02 4Runner. 95% Highway.

I like the looks of the tread on the Defender but wanted your opinion of someone who has actual experience with them.

I've had no experience with XLT/AS, but I've used the Defender LTX MS on my Tundra. They are really good tires, and I find both the dry and wet traction to be very good.

I'm looking at XLT/AS and the Defender LTX MS for my '02 4Runner. 95% Highway.

I like the looks of the tread on the Defender but wanted your opinion of someone who has actual experience with them.

I had a set of Michelin LTX tires on a pickup, and I'll never buy Michelin again. Worst tires ever.

$800 wasted. Zero wet traction and zero snow/ice traction.
So are you saying you literately get no traction whatsoever on wet pavement with Michelin Defender LTX MS tires? That's an amazing statement. They are rated at 95% vs best in the category with over 11 million miles reported on Tire Rack.

I have a set on my Colorado and they are amazing. The sipes run the entire depth of the tread and for me the traction is the best I've experienced from any tire.

I did come across this on the web for what it's worth.

I called Michelin Customer Service (866-866-6605) and was told
Michelin XLT Defender M/S =Costco Michelin X LT A/S
They are the same tire, just different marketing since the A/S is a club only tire...

Even the Michelin site lists it as a "club" tire, what ever that means.

MICHELIN®
X® LT A/S

This tire is currently unavailable for sale online. Please visit your closest dealer to purchase this tire.

• Ultimate Treadlife
  • All-Season Safety
  • Eco-friendly
  • Club Exclusive
  • Mileage warranty: 70,000 miles. See warranty for details.
  • Standard Limited Warranty: 6 years

I decided to call Michelin and they said it was essentially the same tire. XLT/AS is just made for Sam’s, Costco, BJ’s etc.

I’ll stick with the Defender.

I was wondering if anyone has actual experience with both n

I just put 4 new XLT/AS on my Tundra at Costco.

Great tire. Ran up to Vermont, and back down through NYC. 2,000 mile trip. Smooth quiet ride, excellent traction in very heavy rain, and my MPG was noticeably improved.

Also, Costco did a good job installing them. Balanced them properly, then snugged bolts with a torque stick and did final torque by hand. I was honestly impressed and plan to buy from Costco again.

I had a set of Michelin LTX tires on a pickup, and I'll never buy Michelin again. Worst tires ever.

$800 wasted. Zero wet traction and zero snow/ice traction.

Sweet Jesus, do you have a notification set for LTX so that this can be shared every time a thread comes up? This gets posted in EVERY LTX thread. Every. Single. Thread.

BTW, curious what changed between this post by you in 2008:
mrsilv04 said:
I have a set of LTX M/S on my 2004 Silverado. Pricey, but definitely worth it. I'd buy them again without reservation. However, I'd be extremely cautious about any tire with Firestone stamped on the sidewall. Millions of tires recalled over the past 30 years, and yet another recall just a few weeks back. Remember the Explorer fiasco? Firestones.

This post by you in 2010:
mrsilv04 said:
The last set of Uniroyal tires that I had to suffer with performed like they were filled with pudding. No sidewall whatsoever. Consider the Michelin LTX2.

This post by you in 2013:
mrsilv04 said:
4 Michelin LTX's. Date code of 3207. Been on truck since 4807. No problems here.

To you in 2014 where the tires would have been seven years old:
mrsilv04 said:
Michelin LTX's completely went to heck as they aged (and actually contributed to an accident), but others will tell you that it is the best all-around tire on the planet, bar none. I don't know. My neighbor just dropped over a grand on a brand new set of LTX's, and he's not impressed at all with the traction, even when the tires are brand new. All I can say is that I'm not buying LTX's ever again, and I doubt that my neighbor will either.

Which has now morphed into this:
mrsilv04 said:
I read a bunch of tire reviews here on BITOG, as to how wonderful the Michelin LTX tire was.... month after month, year after year. After shelling out over $800 for a set... actual tire owner A found out they were, by far, the worst tire that I have ever owned. The only time in my life, that I've ever pulled off a set of tires at half tread, and sold them on Craigslist, because I couldn't take the overwhelming lack of wet/snow traction any longer. There's a difference right there. And then we have Random Commenter 722 (above) who comments about a tire because of "general consensus"... and apparently not because he's actually owned a set. By the way 722, I actually have a set of those "trashy" OE Goodyear tires on my truck, right now. There's a huge difference right there.

It's apparently been what, seven years since owning them, and you are now even more jaded than you were in 2014? Despite giving them glowing reviews from their 2007 install date through 2013.

In comparison, between my father and myself we've owned at least 5 sets of LTX's now ranging from the original LTX to the M/S2. LTX's will be what get put on my wife's truck when the OE Goodyear hockey pucks are done. Unlike your situation, our opinion didn't dramatically do a 180 after 7 years of ownership 🤷‍♂️

Addendum:
If the tires were installed in 2007 and by 2014, which is when I assume you took them off, 7 years had passed and they were only half worn and you were happy with them for 6 of those 7 years, do you not think it possible that the tires simply degraded due to a lack of use over such a substantial duration? Seems far more likely than them simply being garbage when your own words prior to whatever transpired in 2014 clearly don't support that being the case.

Last edited:
I got rid of my Bridgestone Dueler Sports on the Pilot and replaced with Defender LTX M/S (from Costco), I only saw the XLT AS at Sam's, BJ's also had the Defender. All driving conditions so far, heavy rain, dry, highway are much better with the Defender LTX M/S. For the wife to comment that she likes it better and a noticeable improvement says a lot.

I love Michelin threads on here. Such a love/hate bipolar response. Count me in the Love camp.

You make a very interesting point. There seems to be no “middle” ground. I guess when you are the “best” there will be haters who just hate in order to hate. LOL

I have the XLT A/S tires from Sam's Club. They are the identical tire to the Defender LTX M/S tire. It even has the same Michelin part number on their site though the number escapes me at the moment. Identical tires other than the writing on the sidewall. Fascinating market psychology. Both clubs also sell the identical Defender LTX M/S in their stores, but for more money.

I was wondering if anyone has actual experience with both n

Yes I have actual experience with both. They are the identical tires, except for the writing on the sidewall. I also own both, on different vehicles that I own.

Sweet Jesus, do you have a notification set for LTX so that this can be shared every time a thread comes up? This gets posted in EVERY LTX thread. Every. Single. Thread.

BTW, curious what changed between this post by you in 2008:

This post by you in 2010:

This post by you in 2013:

To you in 2014 where the tires would have been seven years old:

Which has now morphed into this:

It's apparently been what, seven years since owning them, and you are now even more jaded than you were in 2014? Despite giving them glowing reviews from their 2007 install date through 2013.

In comparison, between my father and myself we've owned at least 5 sets of LTX's now ranging from the original LTX to the M/S2. LTX's will be what get put on my wife's truck when the OE Goodyear hockey pucks are done. Unlike your situation, our opinion didn't dramatically do a 180 after 7 years of ownership 🤷‍♂️

Addendum:
If the tires were installed in 2007 and by 2014, which is when I assume you took them off, 7 years had passed and they were only half worn and you were happy with them for 6 of those 7 years, do you not think it possible that the tires simply degraded due to a lack of use over such a substantial duration? Seems far more likely than them simply being garbage when your own words prior to whatever transpired in 2014 clearly don't support that being the case.

Savage.

As mentioned previously, i believe they are the same tire.

I run the Defender LTX MS on my 2011 tacoma. Love them. Excellent wet and dry traction. They also do just fine for my mild off road and snow adventures in the sierras.

Back