Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4

I hope to see some tests on them soon.

I had the original Pilot AS3 on my MB. They performed very well.

I put the AS3+ on my MB when those wore out. They performed better and seem to be more durable as well (perhaps I'm not driving that big, heavy, powerful car as aggressively as I once did).

I liked the AS3+ so much, I put them on my son's 2001 Volvo V70 T5.

They're really a great tire, as long as you understand what they are: a performance tire that does well in wet and dry conditions and are less lousy in winter than other performance tires. They're not great in snow. They're less dangerous than other performance tires in snow. I've been caught in Vermont, during freezing rain, with performance tires on the MB...flat out dangerous. I grew up driving in snow, but that doesn't matter when the car doesn't have enough grip to manage a parking lot.

The AS3+ are an enormous safety improvement over performance tires if, like me, you get caught in some bad weather.

They're not as good as true all seasons, and a far cry from true winter tires, but at least the AS3+ won't kill you in bad weather.

My son, for example, who lives in Vermont, has a dedicated set of wheels with Nokian Hakkapelliittas for winter to go along with his AS3+. Perfect set up...great summer performance, and if it snows before he swaps out the winter wheels, he's not on dangerous tires.

TL;DR the AS3+ are great. Look forward to seeing how good these are.

[censored], just bought a set of Goodyear Exhilarate because I was not happy with the noise/harshness of the A/S3+. Wish I had waited another month to see what these are like.

Originally Posted by Astro14

I put the AS3+ on my MB when those wore out. They performed better and seem to be more durable as well (perhaps I'm not driving that big, heavy, powerful car as aggressively as I once did).

They're really a great tire, as long as you understand what they are: a performance tire that does well in wet and dry conditions and are less lousy in winter than other performance tires. They're not great in snow. They're less dangerous than other performance tires in snow. I've been caught in Vermont, during freezing rain, with performance tires on the MB...flat out dangerous. I grew up driving in snow, but that doesn't matter when the car doesn't have enough grip to manage a parking lot.

The AS3+ are an enormous safety improvement over performance tires if, like me, you get caught in some bad weather.

They're not as good as true all seasons, and a far cry from true winter tires, but at least the AS3+ won't kill you in bad weather.

My son, for example, who lives in Vermont, has a dedicated set of wheels with Nokian Hakkapelliittas for winter to go along with his AS3+. Perfect set up...great summer performance, and if it snows before he swaps out the winter wheels, he's not on dangerous tires.

Concur.

I also have A/S 3+ hopefully I'll win a $1,000 Michelin coupon drawing this month and take a look at the A/S PS4's

Having had a set of 4 Pilot Sport 4S summers on my car now for well over a year I can say they are amazing in Florida. Driving in the rain is a real pleasure now and dry roads are AWESOME.

And they're supposed to wear well!

I would expect nothing less of their all season version.

MIchelin for the win....
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14

Any all season tire for me is tire that does well in months when it is not time for tire such as Michelin Pilot P4S or similar, but not also for winter tire. I just put A/S3+ on Tiguan, but I have 16" separate set of wheels (I have separate set of wheels for winter for all cars) with Hakka R2 on them. So far A/S3+ seem really, really good in dry and wet. It behaves like true summer tire more than all season. I was thinking to put PS4 on BMW once I wear out Drive Guard's I got when I purchased BMW, but after driving A/S3+ for a month on Tiguan I am thinking to get them or this new AS tire as BMW is my DD, and you know Colorado swinging temperature in fall and spring. That means I can cut driving on snow tires by month in the fall and month in the spring, and wear them out less.

Just ordered a set of PS A/S-4's from Tire Rack for the Camaro (275/40/17), Can't complain at $755 delivered to my door! Little cheaper than the Continental Extreme Contacts I was eyeballing.

Wonder if the price will increase after the initial roll-out?

Got mine last Friday. Compared to PS4S these things are squirmy as heck. Still trying to get that mold release compound worn off. Also the shoulder is definitely more pronounced on the PS4S. Yes I know I am comparing an all season to the greatest summer tire ever. Hopefully the trade in mileage is worth it.

That means I can cut driving on snow tires by month in the fall and month in the spring, and wear them out less.

I've been saying that for years.. it was popular here to recommend summer tires for everything.. but then I would have to run winter tires 5-6 months instead of 3-4. Now dont get me wrong if we were talking about a VETTE or some other car that deserves top tier summer rubber.. I understand. but I was refering to daily driver vehicles.

Dont have a car to use these particular Michelin tires on, but interesting to see if these are an improvement.. and how much.

I've been saying that for years.. it was popular here to recommend summer tires for everything.. but then I would have to run winter tires 5-6 months instead of 3-4. Now dont get me wrong if we were talking about a VETTE or some other car that deserves top tier summer rubber.. I understand. but I was refering to daily driver vehicles.

Dont have a car to use these particular Michelin tires on, but interesting to see if these are an improvement.. and how much.
The Michelin A/S3 and 3+ are pretty much summer tires. The results the post in wet and dry is outstanding for A/S tire.

Update. Put about 22k on my set so far. Rotating pretty aggressively at 3500 mile intervals. So far they are wearing great. I can probably get another 15k out of them. Compared to the 4S they replaced they are wearing much better (those lasted 20k-ish).
They aren’t as responsive or grippy but what they give up is given back in great wet and cold weather performance. Had two trips up to Reno/Tahoe this winter with no issues. The one thing I did notice was these tires were more difficult to balance out than the 4s. I had to go back for a second balance.

I have PS4’s on both my 911 and Mercedes E350. Best tires I’ve ever had. These look like they would be good as well. I’ve worn out one set of the rears on my Mercedes in 15K miles. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Definitely.

Another vote from another Michelin guy. PSS on both my Mini (17") and my GTI (18"), PS4 on my Porsche (16"). Summer use only of course. Will get PS4S next (GTI).

I put them on my sho, they ran great until I sold the car. Much grippier than the BFG sport comp's they replaced.

Back