Mercedes, What's the Deal ??

Same as a Mercedes...

Are you just making stuff up to support your dislike?

As a guy who owns both Toyota’s, and Mercedes, including several examples of each in the past, and who has both Tech Stream and STAR on independent laptops, you’re parading falsehoods and opinion as fact.

To what end?

It's the BITOG way; non-owners spouting third-hand hearsay seasoned with a dash of sour grapes and bitter envy.

I DO like the G70(but I prefer the Stinger GT2); the problem is the dealer group-Oxmoor-I hate dealing with them. My BMW dealer provides great service at extremely reasonable prices so I'm reluctant to switch brands.

For example, Mercedes has a 10,000 mile/1year OCI. I’ve seen lots of them ruined by “smart” owners who say, “I ain’t gonna’ pay no $100 for an oil change!”...so they use non-specified oil, installed by a “hack”, sludge up the engine and then blame Mercedes.

Are you SURE there is an oil made today that will "sludge up" an engine? More likely, like my neighbor, pretends to do oil changes on his Mercedes, but just resets the service monitor. I've seen him do it a couple times already on his wife's GLA!

He sees the hood open on my E and asks what I'm doing. "Just checking the oil" I say. his reply, "On a Mercedes?" "No need for that."
I'll admit, I've never used any oil between changes, and even though it has the 2.0 Turbo, I don't notice any gasoline smell in the oil.
Short trip driving usually gets me about 34 MPG, and it runs as well as a V6.
I'm more impressed with this 2018 each time I get into it. It is just a pleasure to own and drive.

Now if I could only figure out how to make it park itself (it has that capability) I'd be done learning all the tech included in this one! :unsure:

Oils today are designed for longer in-service times than oils of even a decade ago.

Doesn't change the number of ruined engines out there...

Proper spec matters. I've gone the full 10,000 miles on the V-12 and it didn't need any make-up oil....that's honestly impressive....and good oil, along with good maintenance, are responsible.

Oils today are designed for longer in-service times than oils of even a decade ago.

Doesn't change the number of ruined engines out there...

Proper spec matters. I've gone the full 10,000 miles on the V-12 and it didn't need any make-up oil....that's honestly impressive....and good oil, along with good maintenance, are responsible.

That has been my experience as well with respect to BMWs. I use BMW TPT 5W-30 or 0W-30 in all of my cars save the Wrangler and I change the oil as called for by the SI or CBS system. My son's 328i has also been run on BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30 since new- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles. As you can see, at 108,500 miles it was horribly "sludged up"-
full-176-10642-img_1984.jpg

It does seem like the people who have German cars like them a lot if they're bought newish and maintained properly. A friend of mine has owned BMWs exclusively for almost 30 years.

People in other brands' higher models may be lacking comprehension, how important it becomes in a Mercedes to fight wrong conflation of models and motives. Conflation of receipts certainly works more hassle-free up and down the alphabets of Lexus and Toyota.

?

To conflate was an expression I had to look up when reading it. Und having looked it up I wanted to make recourse to. So I explained that upper and lower Mercedes (with their customers) seemed to be deeper in trouble making gemeinsame Kasse (kitty, right?) than Lexus and Toyota. Okay, that one line may have been a little weird in my weird german English. But that's why I'm with you: to improve my bit of language, you know.

To conflate was an expression I had to look up when reading it. Und having looked it up I wanted to make recourse to. So I explained that upper and lower Mercedes (with their customers) seemed to be deeper in trouble making gemeinsame Kasse (kitty, right?) than Lexus and Toyota. Okay, that one line may have been a little weird in my weird german English. But that's why I'm with you: to improve my bit of language, you know.

Blingo, thanks for contributing. And rest assured, 99.99% of BITOG users would fare far worse than you if they had to post in German.

In business schools, they teach about Acura, then Lexus coming into the American market.
Acura made tiny dent in Mercedes sales; Lexus made them change the way they did business.
Mercedes and BMW made Lincoln and Cadillac (try to) change how they did business.

In the 1980s lawyers and dentists started making substantially more money than previously and turned to the imports, as the domestics didn't have anything they wanted.

Seriously, who wanted a 5-liter V8 that makes 150 hp and can only be run through a slushbox?

Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti were born to elude the obnoxious middlemen distributors and dealers that Toyota etc were locked into before they built brand equity.

Are you SURE there is an oil made today that will "sludge up" an engine? More likely, like my neighbor, pretends to do oil changes on his Mercedes, but just resets the service monitor. I've seen him do it a couple times already on his wife's GLA!

He sees the hood open on my E and asks what I'm doing. "Just checking the oil" I say. his reply, "On a Mercedes?" "No need for that."
I'll admit, I've never used any oil between changes, and even though it has the 2.0 Turbo, I don't notice any gasoline smell in the oil.
Short trip driving usually gets me about 34 MPG, and it runs as well as a V6.
I'm more impressed with this 2018 each time I get into it. It is just a pleasure to own and drive.

Now if I could only figure out how to make it park itself (it has that capability) I'd be done learning all the tech included in this one! :unsure:
Yes there are. BMW N63 V8 engines run at 110c, with pair of turbos in bay. I would not put i ANYTHING that is not BMW LL 01 oil.
VW 1.8T engines who were notorious for sludge unless on VW502.00 (and that VW fault bcs. they recommended regular oils in US while in Europe stick to VW502.00) would sludge even on best ILSAC GF5 oils. I personally opened ruined 1.8T in A4 who only saw Mobil1 5W30 in it every 5k.
Same engine running on VW 502.00 I had, was spotless.

In business schools, they teach about Acura, then Lexus coming into the American market.
Acura made tiny dent in Mercedes sales; Lexus made them change the way they did business.

Honda wasn't aiming for the Germans with Acura, only a nice upgrade path for people who had grown out of their Accords and wanted something bigger and nicer, in the form of the Legend. It vowed to never build anything larger than a V6 and has kept it. Its most popular model, the Integra, was a derivative of the Civic.

Lexus was clearly aiming for the S-class with the LS, and Infiniti the 7-series with the Q45.

Mazda's effort was closer to Acura's but was killed before it was ever launched.

Some 30 years later, it's clear Toyota was the most successful.

The verdict is still out with Genesis, but when 3/4 of your lineup is sedans, in a crossover world, it might not be the best strategy. It has also wavered on its commitment to stand-alone dealerships. But, they should not be underestimated.

I agree with a lot of posts here; I would like to have a Benz but only an E-Class. That's an impressive car. I like my domestics though because that's what I'm used to and repairs are a lot cheaper. Also helps my union brethren.

The mid-sized executive cars like the E and 5-series are the sweet spots. Not as many compromises as the smaller, cheaper models,, but not as expensive and complex as the larger models.

Blingo, du musst dich nicht entschuldigen. Dein Englisch ist viel besser als mein Deutsch! Die meisten arroganten Amerikaner wie ich sprechen nur eine Sprache, während die meisten Europäer viele Sprachen sprechen. Wir sollten uns bei Ihnen entschuldigen!

Last edited:
Thank you, guys, appreciate the interventions, but don't you care about me. They're actually right – I'm all too bad! Must have been attacking when I apologized ;-)
My writing is bad. Others may suffer from weak reading when acting like they do. Or need an emergency door. That's how we are. Nothing of importance to an anti-german Bolshevic from Bavaria. No fraternization with any capital D!

Now revert to the Toyota motoring. Here's been some thread about a Dodge or a Mercedes.., so these defective Toyotas, Acuras and else need to be addressed. Imagine all the japanese cars that never even came to the US or EU! Versions loaded with AWD and three rotors and gimmicks. Evil empires of failure for reconnaissance that are still getting away with ...preselection? I shall no longer comment.

For example, Mercedes has a 10,000 mile/1year OCI. I’ve seen lots of them ruined by “smart” owners who say, “I ain’t gonna’ pay no $100 for an oil change!”...so they use non-specified oil, installed by a “hack”, sludge up the engine and then blame Mercedes.
That $100 oil change includes filters, and checks, that the hack won’t be doing.

I bet an oil change in a Mercedes is more than $100 today. An oil change in a Toyota with the 5.7L V8 is $100 or more, depending on the dealer.

I bet an oil change in a Mercedes is more than $100 today. An oil change in a Toyota with the 5.7L V8 is $100 or more, depending on the dealer.
No it is not.
Toyota on other hand will charge stuff bcs. Toyota.
They tried to sell me donut spare for $315, 17". When I told them that I got same Dunlop donut for BMW X5, just 18" for approx. $130 in BMW dealership, they went with that bs: well, Toyota....
So, IMO, they can keep scamming customers bcs. Toyota.
By the way, my local BMW dealership runs ofter oil change deals for $79 regardless of model.
Same does MB, Audi etc.

Honda wasn't aiming for the Germans with Acura, only a nice upgrade path for people who had grown out of their Accords and wanted something bigger and nicer, in the form of the Legend. It vowed to never build anything larger than a V6 and has kept it. Its most popular model, the Integra, was a derivative of the Civic.

Lexus was clearly aiming for the S-class with the LS, and Infiniti the 7-series with the Q45.

Mazda's effort was closer to Acura's but was killed before it was ever launched.

Some 30 years later, it's clear Toyota was the most successful.

The verdict is still out with Genesis, but when 3/4 of your lineup is sedans, in a crossover world, it might not be the best strategy. It has also wavered on its commitment to stand-alone dealerships. But, they should not be underestimated.

The mid-sized executive cars like the E and 5-series are the sweet spots. Not as many compromises as the smaller, cheaper models,, but not as expensive and complex as the larger models.
Acura is actually European Honda, or it was some decade ago.

Thank you, guys, appreciate the interventions, but don't you care about me. They're actually right – I'm all too bad! Must have been attacking when I apologized ;-)
My writing is bad. Others may suffer from weak reading when acting like they do. Or need an emergency door. That's how we are. Nothing of importance to an anti-german Bolshevic from Bavaria. No fraternization with any capital D!

Now revert to the Toyota motoring. Here's been some thread about a Dodge or a Mercedes.., so these defective Toyotas, Acuras and else need to be addressed. Imagine all the japanese cars that never even came to the US or EU! Versions loaded with AWD and three rotors and gimmicks. Evil empires of failure for reconnaissance that are still getting away with ...preselection? I shall no longer comment.
Dude, you are fine. However, I have a feeling you are using Google translator to possibly fix some stuff, and that might create more confusion.
If you do, I would drop it.

No it is not.
Toyota on other hand will charge stuff bcs. Toyota.
They tried to sell me donut spare for $315, 17". When I told them that I got same Dunlop donut for BMW X5, just 18" for approx. $130 in BMW dealership, they went with that bs: well, Toyota....
So, IMO, they can keep scamming customers bcs. Toyota.
By the way, my local BMW dealership runs ofter oil change deals for $79 regardless of model.
Same does MB, Audi etc.
Are you sure that is only Toyota and not all dealers? I'm pretty sure I've heard scam stories from all dealers.

I'm not sure as I've been avoiding dealers ever since I bought... a VW. Word on the street was to never go there. I did once, to get some top off oil, just in case; they were content to sell me the wrong stuff. When I asked they said it was just fine (PD TDI so it needed 505.01, this was in 2004 so while we might have different opinions today that wasn't the case back then). But should I trash all VW dealers on the basis of one event 16 years ago?

Yeah, I probably should, since all Toyota's sludge up and all of 'em rot their frames. And all of their dealers charge $315 for a spare tire.

Back