Mercedes Sprinter V6 Diesel Oil ??

Tabernac! Being married to my second Quebecois I should have sensed this.

any specific UOA's or data ?

Thanks.
It's somewhat difficult to be comparative with wear results between VE and CRD turbo diesels especially with VE cam driven IP TDI's with extensive modifications. But what I can say is when I tore down my BKW out of the Touareg to refresh it before attempting to break the 1000ftlb barrier, the internals were phenomenal with no scoring in the bearings or of the cams. I was a little disappointed since I felt it was a waste to rebuild it with absolutely no signs of abnormalities. At that point the motor had 160,000km and pushed just over 800ft lb. I change fluids and do rebuilds often enough that it doesn't make much sense in doing UOA's for my vehicles. Wish I could offer some physical quantitative data, but that is not in my personal experience.

It's somewhat difficult to be comparative with wear results between VE and CRD turbo diesels especially with VE cam driven IP TDI's with extensive modifications. But what I can say is when I tore down my BKW out of the Touareg to refresh it before attempting to break the 1000ftlb barrier, the internals were phenomenal with no scoring in the bearings or of the cams. I was a little disappointed since I felt it was a waste to rebuild it with absolutely no signs of abnormalities. At that point the motor had 160,000km and pushed just over 800ft lb. I change fluids and do rebuilds often enough that it doesn't make much sense in doing UOA's for my vehicles. Wish I could offer some physical quantitative data, but that is not in my personal experience.
I ran the INEO MC3 5W40 in the BKW for 90,000km of that time. Pretty much since Total had set up shop in Québec around 2013. And those were not a gentle 90K klicks.

Input from UK is interesting, but doesn't take into account fuel quality differences. Euro diesel fuels have a higher cetane rating, which helps diesels perform better.
On another cetane topic, Ford recommended a cetane boost additive for their 6.0L diesel, which was quite the s show.
I had hundreds of 6.0L in service, good luck managing an additive with that many all over the country.

Wow...I was thinking of doing a Van build because I am transition to more remote work. I was a big fan of the Diesel Sprinter in concept but seriously rethinking after this post... Maybe me and my boxes of Oil Udders will just get a Promaster haha. Interesting thread thanks all.

I am also looking at a 2006 with the 5 cylinder diesel........after reading several things about the DEF and V6, I am leaning towards it.

I had one in a 2001 E270cdi. Great, great engine, never had any issues up to 350.000km where I almost gave it away for free due to severest rust issues. This is as far as I know not a Mercedes Benz engine, but a italian VM Motori diesel engine. And from my experience, if the italian automobile sector can do 1 thing right - then it's diesel engines.

Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle should have no problems with long OCIs, the later Rimula LME Plus looks identical – with attractive claims added in its brochure.
I was thinking about the Rimula LME Plus 5w30 for myself too, but looking up the MSDS there's no mentioning of ZDDP. Usually ZDDP is always mentioned in the MSDS - so why not here? No ZDDP in the oil or another form of non hazardous ZDDP?

Shell hasn't answered my email yet.

I had one in a 2001 E270cdi. Great, great engine, never had any issues up to 350.000km where I almost gave it away for free due to severest rust issues. This is as far as I know not a Mercedes Benz engine, but a italian VM Motori diesel engine. And from my experience, if the italian automobile sector can do 1 thing right - then it's diesel engines.
Ask owners of the FCA 3.0L diesel how they like their diesels.

Designed by VM Motori.

Problems like the cam shafts rotating due to a non pinned design is a "what were the engineers thinking" . As for soot build up in the cylinders heads, could be a combo of bad enginerring, poor fuel economy and stricter emissions in NA vs Europe, and not fully accounted for. Another expensive issue is the downpipe cracking needing a new part, a $5000 repair. MB 3.0L has the same issue.

Ask owners of the FCA 3.0L diesel how they like their diesels.

Designed by VM Motori.

Problems like the cam shafts rotating due to a non pinned design is a "what were the engineers thinking" . As for soot build up in the cylinders heads, could be a combo of bad enginerring, poor fuel economy and stricter emissions in NA vs Europe, and not fully accounted for. Another expensive issue is the downpipe cracking needing a new part, a $5000 repair. MB 3.0L has the same issue.

Hi
Not forgetting crank bearing issues with catastrophic results.

Hi Alex.
Mercedes surely? Have i misunderstood?

I must be lucky in UK. My Jeep has the OM642 but as it has no DEF i have no such issues. I believe our EGR valves are simpler too. No water cooling.

Hi
A Hunting friend of mine had a 2014 G-Wagon with the Mercedes V6. He called it 'the money pit'. Constant problems with the emission equipment. He got rid!

Hi Alex.
Mercedes surely? Have i misunderstood?

I must be lucky in UK. My Jeep has the OM642 but as it has no DEF i have no such issues. I believe our EGR valves are simpler too. No water cooling.

maybe the information I got at the time was wrong? That's all I can remember since I had the car long time ago. I always had the impression it was a VM motori since I was told so. Nevertheless a great engine at that time. No DPF, no issues, only pretty smokey on heavy acceleration as Mercedes used to be those times.

V6 is generally to be avoided. Compare the prices on a 03-06 E320 CDI to the E320 BlueTec and it’s pretty apparent. Pretty much all MB diesels made before the mid-2000s sound absolutely horrible at idle, they made sure to let everybody in a 10 mile radius know you’re around.

The older diesel 116 and 126 S-Classes take the top prize for most embarrassing vehicle to drive, just a sad and miserable experience all around. MB only sold those to us penny pinching americans for some reason.

Last edited:
Back