Mercedes coolant mixed

Messages
741
Location
Tn,USA
Thread starter
Last year I had a coolant drain at the independent mercede shop n I only used blue coolant Mercedes with distilled water. After that I told him don't we need to bleed the system. He said no because it a self bleeding so I said okay. 1 years later I had a coolant light came on so I didn't have a blue coolant and they didn't have one either. They told me to use zerex green coolant so now I have green with Mercedes blue coolant. I'm worried now do I need to change it to blue? Before I changed it I'm going to check for leak. There's no way that mercede is self bleeding because couple day ago while adding the green coolant I left the cap off and after 40 mins I saw 3 bubbles and that it. Fan never came on unless I missed it (because went back to the house because it was to cold outside). 2011 e350 v6 m272 122k mileages
 
Messages
8,806
Location
MA
Yeah, it's basically self bleeding. A few bubbles doesn't mean otherwise. I just use Zerex G-05 in it.
 
Messages
6,679
Location
California
Mercedes switched over to G-48 for the pre-2014 cars a few years ago and they do say it's OK for older cars. Zerex green is a old school silicated-phosphated IAT with some qualities of a OAT. I'd flush out and fill up with G-05 or G-48.
 
Messages
1,037
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by nthach
Mercedes switched over to G-48 for the pre-2014 cars a few years ago and they do say it's OK for older cars. Zerex green is a old school silicated-phosphated IAT with some qualities of a OAT. I'd flush out and fill up with G-05 or G-48.
Good advice! MB mistakes always morph into big $$$$ bills.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
44,273
Location
New Jersey
I've never had issues bleeding my Mercedes cars, but they do need to be filled slow. I wouldn't want green in there. G-05 was an appropriate tip up if G-48 wasn't available. Wouldn't touch anything else besides straight distilled in a pinch. G-48 is ubiquitous so you should be able to find it. I'd do a couple drains and refills and then worry about something else.
 
Messages
4,623
Location
Suburban Washington DC
Originally Posted by Rohan
I had a coolant light came on so I didn't have a blue coolant and they didn't have one either. They told me to use zerex green coolant so now I have green with Mercedes blue coolant. I'm worried now do I need to change it to blue?
Never mix coolants of different chemistries. Why didn't you just add straight water if you couldn't get the Mercedes coolant at the time?
 
Messages
741
Location
Tn,USA
Thread starter
Thank you everyone for reply. I'm heading to mecredes to buy 2 gallon of coolant and buy 1 gallon of distilled water(buying extra gallon for backup for future). For now I'm going to drain the coolant and add the coolant with distilled water until weather warm up. Because I don't want to drive with water because chances of cracking the motor. Weather down here dropping low. Is mercede really a self bleeding? I was thinking of bleeding like we do it normally or do I need to buy air purge tool kit? Leave the cap off n let it run until fan come with heated running. Do I set the heater blower to highest setting ? I know temperature need to be 90 degrees.
 
Last edited:
Messages
29
Location
Maryland
I don't have a W212, but I do have a W210 E Class and can tell you that the system in my car is self bleeding. My car doesn't have a cap on the radiator. Only way to fill coolant is through the reservoir. I would guess yours is the same way. If so, fill the car with coolant and get to operating temperature with reservoir cap closed. Do have the heater on high to make sure the coolant flows through the heater core. Check for leaks. Adjust coolant level as necessary. Drive on!
 
Messages
1,441
Location
CA
Since you mixed in green with G48 blue, you should do a thorough flush as they don't mix. Note that pink G40 is now the standard coolant for Mercedes. But it doesn't mix with G48 or G05. I would think the dealer will give you the blue G48 though. Or just get the Zerex g48 from somewhere else eg Napa, Pep Boys.
 
Messages
741
Location
Tn,USA
Thread starter
I just google on what type of reservoir you have and mine look like that. So can I leave the cap off then start the car? When u said heater on high is that mean fan need to on the highest setting? I know temperature need to be high anyway.
 
Messages
29
Location
Maryland
Originally Posted by Rohan
I just google on what type of reservoir you have and mine look like that. So can I leave the cap off then start the car? When u said heater on high is that mean fan need to on the highest setting? I know temperature need to be high anyway.
I think it's ok to have the cap off so long as you are starting the car cold. If it's hot and you open the cap, you run the risk of hot coolant spraying. I have automatic climate control so I set it to where the temperature setting reads "HI" instead of a number. When it's set like that, the heat and fan are at max. So yes I would have the fan on hi so that the car keeps sending hot coolant through the heater core.
 

JHZR2

Staff member
Messages
44,273
Location
New Jersey
Originally Posted by Rohan
Thank you everyone for reply. I'm heading to mecredes to buy 2 gallon of coolant and buy 1 gallon of distilled water(buying extra gallon for backup for future). For now I'm going to drain the coolant and add the coolant with distilled water until weather warm up. Because I don't want to drive with water because chances of cracking the motor. Weather down here dropping low. Is mercede really a self bleeding? I was thinking of bleeding like we do it normally or do I need to buy air purge tool kit? Leave the cap off n let it run until fan come with heated running. Do I set the heater blower to highest setting ? I know temperature need to be 90 degrees.
I'd drain and refill the radiator a few times. Especially if you only do this, bleeding will be easy. I find on MB you're best off to point the nose up slightly, then just add very slowly.
 
Messages
741
Location
Tn,USA
Thread starter
Sorry for late reply was busy over the weekend. I had a chance to drain the coolant first time and drove around the city for 5 min then came back home and shut it off after 40 min (idling) while filling up the air on tires. My question is I want to do 2nd drain but not today (tomorrow) the reason is that it to cold outside. Can I do it tomorrow? Cold temperature won't crack the motor by itself. Right?I'm not going to crank the motor at all when weather is cold.
 
Messages
741
Location
Tn,USA
Thread starter
I was also thinking of purchasing AMSOIL low toxic coolant (white bottle) with amsoil dominator coolant boost. Worth it?
 
Messages
6,679
Location
California
Originally Posted by Rohan
I was also thinking of purchasing AMSOIL low toxic coolant (white bottle) with amsoil dominator coolant boost. Worth it?
Nah, stick to G-48 or G-05. Mercedes cooling systems are actually decently designed but there's lot of glass-filled nylon parts I wouldn't risk mixing coolant types. You also have a silica gel pack in the surge tank that slowly leaches out silicate to protect the cooling system as well.
 
Top