Medicare and Tricare For Life

Welcome aboard the world of excellent health benefits. Do you live near a military facility that has a hospital or clinic? If so, golden! My co-pay is $40 a year for one odd prescription. Medicare picks up the bills and Tricare pays what Medicare doesn't. The AF used to have an excellent hospital in San Antonio but I don't know if it's open since BRAC.
Oh yes! San Antonio has the Army's biggest, and the A.F.'s biggest, and 4 other major civilian medical centers. That's why this area is military retirement heaven...

I'm a 100% P&T disabled veteran and also get SSDI. I do everything I can through medicare and deal with the VA as little as possible.

Just got off the phone with Tricare, she does have to call the SSN administration and start the process of applying for A & B. Once she has her medicare card, I call DEERS and make sure they have it in their system. That automatically takes care of getting her enrolled in Tricare for Life.

So that's it! Not too bad, thanks for the pointers! :)

If she is not drawing social security then yes, she'll need to contact Medicare to get the part A and B going for 11/01 effective. This is to make sure the Part B premiums are paid, most likely a quarterly invoice (paper bill) will be sent. The phone call to Tricare insuring everything is in place is a good idea. Once everything is underway she will be very happy with the coverage compared to most individuals under 65 years old.

Back