"Medallion ATF" for Toyota WS

Hello All,

The Camry is fast-approaching 60k and I wanted to change out the tranny fluid (just because; it's specced as a lifetime fluid). The Camry has a sealed transmission with no dipstick.
It shifts well; it sometimes has one strange shift when cold, but nothing other than that. Anyway, I wanted to be proactive on maintenance.
Essentially every shop I called wanted to flush it, in addition to adding all manner of strange chemicals (conditioner, "cleaner", etc.)
They were looking to charge $250-300 to do so, including the dealers (none of whom wanted to or recommended doing this piece of maintenance).
I did find a smaller shop that was willing to do the work and only bid $60 for the first change, and about $100 if I wanted to do two.
(The guy said that doing it twice wouldn't be necessary but would depend on the condition of the fluid.) He uses "Medallion ATF" in bulk from a local distributor:
https://medallion-plus.com/user/products/pds/to-14-01-29-18.pdf
It lists Toyota WS as one of its "approvals" but I can't find much out about it.
Any concern letting him do so with that fluid? Or should I bring WS or some other ATF in bottles? He said that it'd cost $45 or $85 for the two changes if I brought fluid.
(If I bring fluid, should I bring Maxlife or some alternative, or stick with WS?)

Originally Posted by TmanP
Hello All,

The Camry is fast-approaching 60k and I wanted to change out the tranny fluid (just because; it's specced as a lifetime fluid)...
(The guy said that doing it twice wouldn't be necessary but would depend on the condition of the fluid.) He uses "Medallion ATF" in bulk from a local distributor:
https://medallion-plus.com/user/products/pds/to-14-01-29-18.pdf
It lists Toyota WS as one of its "approvals" but I can't find much out about it.
Any concern letting him do so with that fluid? Or should I bring WS or some other ATF in bottles? He said that it'd cost $45 or $85 for the two changes if I brought fluid.
(If I bring fluid, should I bring Maxlife or some alternative, or stick with WS?)

Let's make a distinction between "approvals" and advertised, "List of Suitable For Use Applications."

They are not the same. An approval would be listed with the OEM's licensing number. List of Suitable For Use Applications is the additive manf. list of applications they believe applies.

The ATF is blended by PetroChoice of King of Prussia, Pa.

Other than that, I have no information as to quality of the product.

Sure, that's why I used the quotation marks around "approvals" - just guidelines, I suppose. I can't see any list anywhere of what Toyota does happen to approve for the cars, except genuine WS fluid.
Is this a non-starter?

Many folks on this fine forum use maxlife atf in place of ws with great results. WS is a lv fluid and many dexron vi containers say ws compatible. You could always buy the genuine ws and have the mechanic of your choice install it. I know I would put any fluid a customer brought in, it is their car. Just charge the labor. Hope this helps.

If you want to keep your car for a long time, bring him some Toyota WS. It's not expensive. It's a lot cheaper than a transmission repair down the road.

Read MolaKule's post very carefully. And then read it again. His message is almost subliminal operating below the threshold of consciousness.

I'm going through this decision now for my 2016 Lexus ES 350 V6. Make sure the mechanic is familiar with the Toyota drain plug vs plastic overflow tube below the drain plug. The reason most mechanics don't want to touch it is because you have to get the fluid level perfectly. The right temperature range is critical for ensuring this. Check out this video that does a good job of going through the process. Personally, I would not trust a mechanics unless he/she could describe the step they will take to perform a drain and fill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAxjhSphZBg&t=7s

I purchased the scan tool to check the AT fluid level as all my rides are Toyotas. It's easy when you find the appropriate temps to check the levels. I have a temp sheet if you need that info.

First, this is an aisin trans and likely has a screen but no filter. Theres little sense in dropping the pan for this.

Ive gone through this with three of these and find the measure-and-refill method is pretty foolproof. Following the youtube videos, the drible-via-overflow-straw method left my first attempt underfilled and it would gurgle under Hard acceleration. I got it right the second time, buttoning it up when “big” spillout began to transition towards “dribble.”

You can experiment some. Drain and measure. Refill and check level via “proper method.” As long as you track what went out and in, its hard to mess up. Im not sure the procedure is exactly as picky as they claim, but i will say that i had to do it a couple of times to get a feel for it, and while im comfortable with my own cars, id be nervous to explain it to someone else with confidence that they’d get the same “feel” as i did.

Aisin transmissions using LV fluid have a media filter.

I would have no problem using that full synthetic LV HFM "Medallion-Plus" ATF. And, there is nothing wrong with using any of the WS fluids(dealer, Ravenol, Idemitsu, Eneos, Aisin)... if you have some fear of the Medallion fluid.

You do not need any cleaners or conditioners. Demand that the shop NOT use them.

I would do the drain/refill. And, consider repeating it a few months later. 2 back-to-back drain/refills is fine if there is at least a mile drive in between drain/refills. The ATF filter is easily good for 100k miles. So, I would wait another 40k miles to change your ATF filter.

Verify that the shop uses a scan tool to check ATF temp for proper running level check.

Aisin transmissions using LV fluid have a media filter.

I would have no problem using that full synthetic LV HFM "Medallion-Plus" ATF. And, there is nothing wrong with using any of the WS fluids(dealer, Ravenol, Idemitsu, Eneos, Aisin)... if you have some fear of the Medallion fluid.

You do not need any cleaners or conditioners. Demand that the shop NOT use them.

I would do the drain/refill. And, consider repeating it a few months later. 2 back-to-back drain/refills is fine if there is at least a mile drive in between drain/refills. The ATF filter is easily good for 100k miles. So, I would wait another 40k miles to change your ATF filter.

Verify that the shop uses a scan tool to check ATF temp for proper running level check.
Last time I checked the 750 series Aisin has a metal MESH screen filter. All of these also use WS.

Back