Mech didn't reset TPMS

Had my Lucerne in for oil change and rotation but they didn't reset TPMS so rather than take the car back in and be without for a day I purchased a $10 relearn tool of Amazon.
Since this is first car with a TPMS do you usually have to ask them to do a relearn when they rotate?

I've never seen a shop that does tires regularly not atleast address your tire pressure monitoring system and do what's necessarily for it.

Some years back on my 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan, a shop I use told me they tried to reset or relearn the TMPS after a tire change but "couldn't talk to" some or all of the sensors. I forget which and to drive it and see what happens. A mile or two down the road, they reset themselves as is the nature of FCA's system.

What I'm getting at is they won't always know the ins/outs of all systems.

You could try this:

Buick Lucerne (2008 - 2010) TPMS Reset Procedure

1. Apply parking brake. Turn ignition to ON position (engine off)
2. Press and hold unlock and lock buttons on the keyless entry transmitter until horn sounds, and then LF turn signal will become illuminated.
3. Starting with LF tire, increase/decrease tire pressure until horn sounds.
4. After horn sounds proceed as in step 5 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF RR LR After completing LR tire horn will sound twice.
5. Turn ignition to OFF position to exit vehicle learn mode. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on the placard.

But personally, I'd either take it back and have them fix it or wait for the tool you ordered vs doing the above !

Every time i've had tires rotated on my Cadillac, they never reset the TPMS sensors. Even when I bought the car, they weren't set properly.

You could try this:

But personally, I'd either take it back and have them fix it or wait for the tool you ordered vs doing the above !

You can do this, but its a bit of a hassle. Sometimes you have to deflate the tire a lot for the car to beep. Then you need to re-inflate the tires.

OP, I just bought the same $10 tool on Amazon. It works amazing! It takes only 30 seconds to reset all the sensors. Much easier than doing it the "factory" way.

Make sure you point the tool to the sidewall above the valve stem, not the valve stem directly. I originally pointed it at the valve stem and thought the tool was broken.

If TPMS sensors came with 2008 car as original equipment, the chances are batteries in those TPMS sensors are dead by now thus they cannot be 're-learned'.

Had my Lucerne in for oil change and rotation but they didn't reset TPMS so rather than take the car back in and be without for a day I purchased a $10 relearn tool of Amazon.
Since this is first car with a TPMS do you usually have to ask them to do a relearn when they rotate?

Why does the TPMS have to be reset for a tire rotation?

Why does the TPMS have to be reset for a tire rotation?

On GM cars that show individual pressures, and the tires' position on the car, the system needs to be told where that tire is after every rotation.

If you rotate, and don't "relearn", the car has no idea which tire is which and shows the pressures and locations based on the last time the relearn was done.

My Chevy dealer is hit or miss with doing the relearn. I finally bought a relearn tool to have for those times when the dealer does a tire rotation and the pressures seem way off.

On GM cars that show individual pressures, and the tires' position on the car, the system needs to be told where that tire is after every rotation.

If you rotate, and don't "relearn", the car has no idea which tire is which and shows the pressures and locations based on the last time the relearn was done.

My Chevy dealer is hit or miss with doing the relearn. I finally bought a relearn tool to have for those times when the dealer does a tire rotation and the pressures seem way off.

What a pain in the butt! I can’t imagine having to deal with that every time a tire switches spots on the car. Get the tool to do yourself definitely.

I only figured it out because my right front tire has a very slow leak, about 2/3 lbs a month and I started noticing the right rear was losing air so that's why I ordered the tool (same one WryTwister linked to) and A_user is right it only takes a minute to relearn.

Good to know most places probably won't do it so I will get some use out of the tool.

dubber: dealership put new ones on when I bought it a couple years ago.

Thanks all for your time, much appreciated.

As a data point: at my shop, we do a relearn with every rotation as long as the car has a display for individual tires. If it's a simple warning light, we skip it. On those you really only need to relearn if you replace a sensor.

That being said, on cars with passive TPMS (such as older GM, some VAG cars, some Honda's, probably more) that use the ABS sensors to detect finite differences in tire circumference and therefore a difference in wheel speed, I will reset those. Sometimes, they're so sensitive that just the tread depth difference after a rotate can trip the light.

Maybe-but I can count the total number of times a light came on and saved a tire-probably have saved me over $1,000.00 in new tires. A good 20" tire for a Silverado isn't cheap.

My 2006 Silverado has never lost a tire. How did I ever manage that for 14 years. It has no TPMS. I even use it to tow a 14,000 Lbs fifth wheel.

But you do have TPMS...right?

Yes, they all have functional tpms. Vw uses wheel speed and other parameters to determine if a tire is low. When you swap tires or otherwise need the car to learn the new tires there is a button in the glove box or a menu option.

TPMS sensor batteries have died in my elantra. Unless i have no choice, theres no way i'm paying and extra $250 to replace them. I've never had it be of any benefit.

Now on my travel trailer, i'm investigating valve stem tps units, as you cant feel a tire go down on your trailer. But on my car, naaah.

Back