Meat Grinder/Raw Dog Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I hope you're working with your vet to make sure you are building a food plan that provides all the nutrients that your dog needs.
An under $60 bag of Natural Balance LID or Nutro Ultra dog food feeds my pups for a month, and I don't have to worry about their health.

BC.
The LID line is heavy on potatoes and rice. Stuff dogs wouldn't naturally eat. Making dog food at home is superior to most of the store bought stuff. Even the high dollar stuff. If you want to put in the effort. I read every label in Petco one day looking for a good food at a sensible price. Wasn't successful. Kept buying the 4 Health stuff at Tractor Supply. It's nothing special but at least it isn't full of corn and soy.

Yep, my eyes are red from all the raw dog food reading I've been doing. It's understandable why some vet's don't want people doing it....the ingredients required to get optimum canine nutrition without under or over doing it isn't all that easy. Plus, a whole lot of disagreement in this field exists out there. I won't go as far as some people do and feed whole chickens....bones and all. I think that's asking for trouble. I will grind any bones for the calcium, other than the safe huge beef bones I get raw from the butcher. Those are won't splinter at all.
As for carbs....dogs can process some carbs like white rice, sweet potato, and pumpkin. It's more of a way of adding fiber than anything. I use some rice, but will keep it at a minimum. I had some of the very best, high end dry kibble food you can get. Including the grain-free stuff. One of my dogs STILL had loose stools and every now and then would barf it up. Since putting him on the raw diet, he's been doing very well. Firm stools (first time in his life), fantastic energy, and loves mealtime as much as I do.

Last edited:
Dog nutrition being hard to satisfy is simply nonsense marketing at work. Any somewhat sensible and researched homemade food is going to be great. Just look at what's in Dog Chow.
Quote:
Whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal (source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, soybean hulls**, corn germ meal, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, meat and bone meal (source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, egg and chicken flavor, animal digest, salt, calcium carbonate, mono and dicalcium phosphate, potassium citrate, Vitamin E supplement, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Yellow 6, ferrous sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Yellow 5, manganese sulfate, Red 40, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, Blue 2, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite. A-4123

A tough act to follow.

Feed the dog what you eat. [the healthy stuff] If you are worried there are dog vitamins

Originally Posted By: hatt
Dog nutrition being hard to satisfy is simply nonsense marketing at work. Any somewhat sensible and researched homemade food is going to be great. Just look at what's in Dog Chow.
Quote:
Whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal (source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, soybean hulls**, corn germ meal, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, meat and bone meal (source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, egg and chicken flavor, animal digest, salt, calcium carbonate, mono and dicalcium phosphate, potassium citrate, Vitamin E supplement, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Yellow 6, ferrous sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Yellow 5, manganese sulfate, Red 40, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, Blue 2, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite. A-4123

A tough act to follow.

Yes...it's pure junk for sure. But just feeding meat without organs or bone (as some people do) is not very good for a dog. And too much organ meat is also bad. It honestly does take some research beyond just feeding homemade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back