Measuring ATF Temperature

Taking delivery of a 2020 Lexus ES 350 later this month. Been doing some reading on how to change ATF on the sealed transmission. Looks simple except I have to decide what technology to use to measure ATF temperature. Scangage II looks like the best option for me. An IR gun would probably be good enough but I don’t have anything else I could use it for whereas Scangage II would be fun to mess with. Thanks for your input.

PS. Not sure why I care since I will be too old and feeble to do this job when it is due, lol.

Use OBD2 scanner. The $20 bluetooth with free Car Scanner app will read ATF temp. I needed to update a custom something for my 2015 Camry on the Car Scanner app. Very easy to do. But I don't mess with the ATF temp when I drain and fill mine. Just do the job when the car is cold and measure what came out and put the same volume of ATF back in.

SGII is a good tool to play with anyway. I’ve had mine for years and it taught me how to be more efficient driving, along with monitoring other systems in the car.

Does the Lexus monitor temperature of transmission fluid though? If there is no sensor on the car and OBD2 scanner cannot report values.

On my Mazda (2015), setting ATF level by using my ScanGauge or by using my IR thermometer (temp gun) on the bottom of the tranny pan result in exactly the same level. Yes, I’ve done it both ways, and yes I’ve cross-checked the one method against the other.

YMMV

My $250 Autel scanner works fine for reading the A/T temp PID. By the time you are due, they should be covering 2020 models. :D

On my Mazda (2015), setting ATF level by using my ScanGauge or by using my IR thermometer (temp gun) on the bottom of the tranny pan result in exactly the same level. Yes, I’ve done it both ways, and yes I’ve cross-checked the one method against the other.

YMMV

Yep, several videos show the same result. If I already had an IR gun I would use it.

I did the transmission on my Landcruiser using OBDLink app with the Toyota specific package and the OBD bluetooth module. Worked great. I used Toyota WS fluid.

On a 2020 Toyota/Lexus you won't be needing to change the ATF for another decade. I'd start worrying about it in 2030, there's enough things to worry about in 2020.

On a 2020 Toyota/Lexus you won't be needing to change the ATF for another decade. I'd start worrying about it in 2030, there's enough things to worry about in 2020.

Thx for your response but a) not worried about it, just having fun learning new stuff and b) I don’t buy into the lifetime fluid BS...I will do the first d/f at 15k miles.

In my most humble opinion, get the Scan Gauge.

I used my IR thermometer in conjunction with the Scan Gauge and the IR ain't even close
to the Scan Gauge readings. The temp varies all over the bottom of the pan.

My hardest thing was getting my Lexus level with a pan underneath the transmission drain.
I drove up on some ramps and then I put a level on the top of the car and then jacked up the back to get it level.
(Sorta dangerous but hey, worst thing happens to me is I go to eternity in a very good place.)

I got a few old Toyota/Lexus and I go every 25k with only Toyota/Lexus ATF.
IF you really jack the front up while draining you may get a lot more fluid out. I did.

I made a temperature probe from a meat thermometer, and use a very long zip tie to get it into the transmission pan via the dipstick tube. I have serviced the transmission a few times using the chart, my temperature probe, and the Dorman dipstick tool for Chrysler products. I had a Jeep tech friend confirm the fill is correct, and it is spot on. The cost for my probe was about $15, and works perfectly with the Dorman tool to get the proper level. I'm pretty certain it will work with other vehicles that require a temperature reading just as well.

I made a temperature probe from a meat thermometer, and use a very long zip tie to get it into the transmission pan via the dipstick tube. I have serviced the transmission a few times using the chart, my temperature probe, and the Dorman dipstick tool for Chrysler products. I had a Jeep tech friend confirm the fill is correct, and it is spot on. The cost for my probe was about $15, and works perfectly with the Dorman tool to get the proper level. I'm pretty certain it will work with other vehicles that require a temperature reading just as well.

Very clever! Unfortunately no dip stick on this sealed tranny. However, I did think about possibly fishing my VOM thermocouple wire into the pan from the fill port but was concerned it might get snagged and I would be up the creek without a paddle.

Back