MB GLE 350 engine oil weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easiest thing to do is get some Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synpower 0-40 from Walmart. Both are certified and on the MB list. Easy to get at good prices.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Easiest thing to do is get some Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synpower 0-40 from Walmart. Both are certified and on the MB list. Easy to get at good prices.

Many prefer Castrol 0w40 just because it has the BMW LL-01 where Mobil 1 doesn't. But it shouldn't really matter, they both have 229.5 certification.

Originally Posted by Popsy
Also I thought Petronas was the current OEM for Mercedes (at least in Europe) ?

It used to be and it still is in Malaysia.

229.5 is for gas engine and should be used with a fleece filter for the service reminder system. 229.51/52 is for diesels and their exhaust treatment systems. You can run a 229.51/52 oil in a gasser but your service reminder will not be accurate. Also if you run longer oci's on the 229.51/52 in a gasser you will experience sludging. MB actually experienced this and stopped using .51/52 in gassers.
For years the 3.5 engines came with and used 5w-40 syn oil. They only recently went to 5w-30 for CAFE reasons.
Use whatever 229.5 oil you want but I would stay away from .51/52 oils in your car.

Not trying to argue with you, as I wasn't sure on why sludging being caused by use of 229.51 oils in MB gasoline engines calling for 229.5 when both the specs qualify under similar M 271 Sludge Test specifications ?

Would appreciate if you could provide links describing circumstances leading to stated sludging phenomenon.

There are MB gasoline engines allowing use of 229.5, 229.51 AND 229.52 (as opposed to OP's manuals ),in this regards would inaccuracy of service reminder arises and its mechanisms, other than differences in SaPS levels ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeng
229.5 is for gas engine and should be used with a fleece filter for the service reminder system. 229.51/52 is for diesels and their exhaust treatment systems. You can run a 229.51/52 oil in a gasser but your service reminder will not be accurate. Also if you run longer oci's on the 229.51/52 in a gasser you will experience sludging. MB actually experienced this and stopped using .51/52 in gassers.
For years the 3.5 engines came with and used 5w-40 syn oil. They only recently went to 5w-30 for CAFE reasons.
Use whatever 229.5 oil you want but I would stay away from .51/52 oils in your car.

Not trying to argue with you, as I wasn't sure on why sludging being caused by use of 229.51 oils in MB gasoline engines calling for 229.5 when both the specs qualify under similar M 271 Sludge Test specifications ?

Would appreciate if you could provide links describing circumstances leading to stated sludging phenomenon.

There are MB gasoline engines allowing use of 229.5, 229.51 AND 229.52 (as opposed to OP's manuals ),in this regards would inaccuracy of service reminder arises and its mechanisms, other than differences in SaPS levels ?

I don't have any technical links to provide. Basically a story from my Indy MB shop. The man's father spent a career with MB and was an investigator with them the last few yrs of his career, then started this shop 18 yrs ago. They follow MB's recommendations (except 10k oci) and use all MB parts. When the .51 low saps oils came out, dealers had a problem with putting the correct oil in the correct car. Since Mobil 1 said on the label that it could be used in gas engines, they started using the .51 oil in all cars. This Indy shop started seeing sludged engines coming in when the service reminder came on. They called Mobil oil who sent reps in to see them. They were very defensive of the oil. They told him they wanted him to come to HQ (in No. Va. at the time) and talk about it. Never happened. He felt that they were covering things up. After that visit, dealers were told to stop using .51 oil in the gassers. He knows that because the dealers told him. Some on here have said that it has something to do with the gasoline in N America. You can use .51 oil in gas engines. You just can't go 10k miles on it.

In my thought process only an idiot would use 229.xxxx to represent oil for gasoline and diesel engines.
We have so many digits in the freaking world why reference 229.xxx - say call it 2xxx for gasoline and some 5xxx for diesels.

As an anecdotal reference, my dad worked in electrical power plants and he told me one Siemens electrical equipment were by far the most complicated finicky engineering marvels. Unnecessary complication for nothing. So goes with 229.xxx nonsense.

I went ahead and ordered 0w40 M1 from Costco online and moved ahead.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
The owners manual has either 229.5 or 229.6 for gasoline engines and 229.51 for diesel engines.

OP, what's the recommended/typical OCI with/without service indicators in manuals ?

Originally Posted by zeng
Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
The owners manual has either 229.5 or 229.6 for gasoline engines and 229.51 for diesel engines.

OP, what's the recommended/typical OCI with/without service indicators in manuals ?

Unsure this is my first German vehicle and there has been a awful lot to learn. I believe it has an oil monitor and it should raise the flag for an oil change.
Though my preference would be 1 yr /10K OCI, rather I would run it for a full 10K without the year in consideration given it takes 7.4Q synthetic oil.

If MB hasn't changed their intervals with the newer cars it should still be 1 year/10k miles non-flexible service (they ditched FSS back in the mid-2000's). Makes it quite easy to remember. Assyst will constantly remind you if you exceed the 1 year though. If you scroll to Assyst under service settings in your MFD it will tell you either how many miles or days you have left to your next service, if it shows days it is currently projecting you won't hit the 10k before the year is up.

My '09 C300 was dealer serviced so received the "Genuine" Mercedes 5W40 whose bottle looked strangely like a Mobil bottle with MB stickers on it.

My '11 E350 ill prob use whatever is cheapest that has the MB229.5 cert. I hit the year mark with maybe 4500-5000 miles on the oil and like you said with a 7+ quart capacity I'm not too terribly concerned about the oil.

One cautionary tale I have stumbled on a few times (if you are planning your own oil changes) is to make sure you have the right oil filter if you buy somewhere other than the dealership. There are some stories floating around of people getting filters for an M272 which apparently will fit in the M276 housing but then starve the engine of oil. The one you want for your M276 has a 3-4 leg cage thing that extends below the filter which closes the anti-drainback valve, M272 filter does not have this so drain back valve is left wide open causing massive if not complete pressure loss.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
One cautionary tale I have stumbled on a few times (if you are planning your own oil changes) is to make sure you have the right oil filter if you buy somewhere other than the dealership. There are some stories floating around of people getting filters for an M272 which apparently will fit in the M276 housing but then starve the engine of oil. The one you want for your M276 has a 3-4 leg cage thing that extends below the filter which closes the anti-drainback valve, M272 filter does not have this so drain back valve is left wide open causing massive if not complete pressure loss.

I got from RMEuropean the Mahle OX814D (Made in Bulgaria, BTW worked with Bulgarians before they are very bright folks) which is a fleece material filter for $14 rather than $24 from the MB parts store. They look identical from height and look though the OEM one was crisscrossed media meaning more media than the OX814D.
If my Lexus tiny paper media can survive for 10K OCI, the OX has plenty of media for a 10K OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back