Mazda FF | 0w20? | 2098km(1303m) | Mazda3 2.0 MZR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

Factory fill from my son's Mazda3. This is the 2.0 MZR not the SkyActive.

I called Toromont regarding the viscosity, they had already tossed the sample. Unfortunate but not really that big of a deal I guess. On the good side from Toromont, it appears that they have added Boron, Calcium, Manganese and Vanadium to their reports.

Seeing the Moly here I wish I had looked around some more for Idemitsu SM, his dealer apparently doesn't carry it. If the viscosity is and error, I think this could be Idemitsu 0w20 when comparing to one of the posted VOAs. However, I didn't search it out and we filled it up with TGMO 0W20 and a Mobil 1 M1-102. Will probably do a 4000km OCI this time and then go to 6000 or the recomended 8000.

Comments and questions welcomed.

Code:

DATE: 06/12

OIL: Factory

0w20?

FILTER: Factory

TOTAL KM: 2098

KM ON OIL: 2098

TOP UP: 0

Fe: 24

Cr: 0

Mo: 914

Al: 7

Cu: 79

Pb: 0

Sn: 0

Ti: 0

Ni: 0

Ag: 0

Si: 28

Na: 14

K: 14

Zn: 763

Mg: 13

P: 762

Ba: 13

B: 5

Ca: 1621

Mn: 204

V: 0

SOOT: 0

SULF: 24

OXID: 19

NITR: 9

VIS CST: 12.18

TBN: 5.5

COOLANT: NEG

FUEL: NEG

WATER: NEG

If the factory fill in my 5's 2.5 engine has the same sauce in it, I may leave it in much longer. That's a nice dose of moly, zinc & phosphorous.

I wouldn't worry about the viscosity, iron or copper content. This engine has quite a while before it's well broken in.

scurvy,

I agree, looks like decent stuff. I'm not worried about the levels but do believe in getting out of there early, pretty much what I expected to see. We will likely make a project out of it and UOA each time until it starts to trend down at least.

bdcardinal,

That is what I thought, I'm pretty confident it was a typo or lab error. Apparently up here the bottle service fill is PC or Idemitsu.

Hi cp3.
Yes in Canada the Mazda 0W-20 is made by PC.

In Canada the Honda/Acura and Mitsubushi 0W-20 oils are made by Idemitsu and AFAIK are still the preferred SM GF-4, 197 VI and high moly oil. The oil is heavier than the TGMO 0W-20 and more expensive at $7.75/L from Honda.

Oops, I thought we could get it at the Mazda dealers up here too. I don't think its a huge deal. Just might have gone with the high moly for the first few changes.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes in Canada the Mazda 0W-20 is made by PC.

Did you mean CP, or ConocoPhillips?

I think the US Honda oil is also made by ConocoPhillips, yes?

Given Visc. @100C after 2098 km I would guess the first fill was W30 oil and sooner A3/B3. Interesting that 2.0 MZR generates a lot of Manganeze when new.

After buying a new Honda and Toyota and seeing an FF report like this with over 900 ppm Moly (!), I am becoming convinced that leaving that FF in for a full cycle is the way to go, despite the build up of particulates.

And I was always a 'first change at 1000' guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back