Mazda Cooking Up Novel Compact Inline-Six Engine, New Eight-Speed Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a 1980 RX7, 1981 GLC (1st front drive year) and 1988 Merc Tracer wagon(323 clone). All were manual 5 spd and great cars for me over many years and miles. I'd be glad to own another if like my past Mazdas.

An inline 6 would be very nice to have and for some reason they seem to last a long time. At least my inline slant 6 did as well as my Ford inline 300 six cylinder engine. They are usually very easy to work on.
35.gif

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Mazda has been killing it lately. I hope they keep it up for some Toyota/Honda competition which is great for the consumer.

You've got that right. I'd buy a small Mazda SUV over any Honda right now.
As a young man, I purchased a sporty new Mazda Protege with a DOHC engine in the 90's. It was a fantastic compact that impressed me to no end.
In fact, I'll likely buy 1 or 2 new Mazda SUV's later this year.

Toyota [censored] and moaned about the logistical nightmare to create their own I6 for the new Supra so they went BMW... Mazda: hold my beer.

I'm sure Toyota COULD design a new I6, it's just they wouldn't use it in anything but the Supra so there wasn't much reason to design a whole new engine for a low volume application.

Mazda has been killing it lately. I hope they keep it up for some Toyota/Honda competition which is great for the consumer.

Except for sales numbers hold the CX-5. Also on profits. Hope it's sustainable as they have decent product for certain customers.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I really like the direction that Mazda has been going in. I really like that fact that they are still using true automatic transmissions, none of the CVT junk.

Mazda is goin in the right direction compared to most other manufacturers these days.

cheers3.gif

Been very happy with my CX5 GT-R. I'd pick it over a GLC300/RDX/X3, and did, but if they put a SA-X with 3.0L or so displacement in one, I think they will begin stealing AMG and ///M customers, as well, and I'll be able to have my Japanese "AMG" "///M" car, which is what I wished I could have had but it didn't exist in 2019 when I bought. I refuse to do the German car thing.

I too am pleased with the 2.5L turbo in my 2019 GT-R CX 5. But like most gearheads, I would always like more power. If Mazda can produce a normally aspirated 6 cylinder with about 300 horsepower and a lot of torque, it would be a real winner.
Do they really need an 8 speed transmission ? With a lot or torque I don't think it would be necessary, but I guess with really good computer programming it would eliminate the constant "hunting" for the correct gear that a lot of automatic transmissions with more than 4 gears seem to exhibit. Don't have it get into 8th gear until at least 70 MPH.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I too am pleased with the 2.5L turbo in my 2019 GT-R CX 5. But like most gearheads, I would always like more power. If Mazda can produce a normally aspirated 6 cylinder with about 300 horsepower and a lot of torque, it would be a real winner.
Do they really need an 8 speed transmission ? With a lot or torque I don't think it would be necessary, but I guess with really good computer programming it would eliminate the constant "hunting" for the correct gear that a lot of automatic transmissions with more than 4 gears seem to exhibit. Don't have it get into 8th gear until at least 70 MPH.

I think the 8 speed would only be a good move. More ratios are always better, an Mazda has proved themselves very competent at in-house transmission design AND programming. I predict this SA-X I6 will make a lot more than 300bhp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back