Mavis Traction Control

Mavis is a tire and auto service chain everyone has probably heard of.

Hankook makes for them a tire called the Traction Control.

The "T" rated tire in my size (205-55-16) appears to have 14/32 of tread. It has a 100,000 mile "rating".

Is the tire too good to be true?

Does this marriage of Hankook and Mavis have any track record?

I know these questions are vague but any input on the tire or the store chain is welcome.

Hankook makes tires rated for 100k. I think the H727 was supposed to be good for 100k. I don't know how much tread the H727 came with. It's possible that the Traction Control is a rebadged H727. It is common for older tire designs to become house brand/private label tires.

If it really does have 14/32 it probably can last 100k. The standard is 10/32, with a small number of car tires coming with 11/32. Very rarely do you see car tires with more than 11/32, but some truck tires can have more than that. I've seen 14/32 on truck tires, AT/MT/HT type tires mostly.

Will you be using separate winter tires? If not, you may want a 3-peak all-season

I had a set of H727 and had to change them well before the tire tread warranty which I think was 90k. The first 1/3 of the tread was fine but by the time it got down to 5/32 or so, the tire didn't perform well in wet weather and was pretty dangerous in light snow. What I learned from others is the rubber has to be pretty hard to last that many miles and you compromise wet traction for longer tread life. Based on my experience with the H727, I would be looking to change the tires around 60k-70k.

Currently I have P4 Four Seasons on my Camry which has a long tread life warranty.. I've noticed the traction was not as good this winter compared to winter 2018/19. I'm planning to change out the tires this fall even though I have about 6/32 left. I've noticed some tire spin on startup at traffic lights and wet weather. I don't drive aggressively so it's not a problem but I don't want to go into the winter with these tires.

I just purchased two Mavis Traction Control tires for the CR-V in my signature also but in a different size. While I didn't measure the tread depth, just by eyeballin' it, it did seem to be more generous than most. I only have about 300 miles on them so far so who knows how they'll be in the wet or the snow. My experience with Mavis was pretty disappointing though. I showed up there because I picked up a nail in two different tires and I also had a vibration in the front end that I assumed to be an unbalanced tire. So, when I bought the two new tires I had them put on the front and allowed them to talk me into a front end alignment. Thinking the new tires and the alignment would cure any vibration, I was pretty disappointed when it didn't, it actually seemed worse. I slid under the car when I got home just to take a look. While I'm no mechanic, I was pretty sure that if an alignment was done on a car with 230,000 miles on it, I would see some scratching or "tool" marks on the tie rod lock nuts and then the tie rod itself but they looked un-touched. Now thinking something else was causing the vibration, I took the car to my mechanic and explained what had just been done at Mavis. When he looked, he said the same thing...no alignment was done. Long story short, after checking the front end and axles he checked the front tires and they were totally out of balance. If the weights were supposed to be at 12 o'clock they were at 6 o'clock making an out of balance tire twice as bad. Almost sounded intentional to me? I went back to Mavis to complain and they said if I paid for an alignment, I got an alignment and denied making a mistake on the balancing. I plan to take it further to the corporate office but knows where that will go. Not likely to go back to them unless it is an emergency and they're the only place open.

The tyre balancers I've used show the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, so if someone didn't know or had a brain [censored] he could stick the weights on the wrong side. However, threy should always rerun the balancer as sometimes the weights are a bit off and you need to correct something. I keep going until I get double 0's no matter what.

Bumping this old thread after I got a set of Mavis Traction Control installed Saturday, in 205/65R16, 94H.

If they are not identical to the H727 they are very close. I ran H727 from 2012 to 2014 and remember them well. They had the best winter traction of any all-season tire I ran up till then. (Granted it was just two winters.)

The Mavis Traction Control tread pattern looks identical, the tread depth of 12/32" is the same, the UTQG of 700AB is the same, the 100K treadlife warranty is the same. The only difference is more available sizes in H-speed rating, likely to accommodate midsize sedans like my Sonata, which often spec an H-rated tire.

I loved the H727 though I only had them just under 20K miles. That's one reason I jumped at the Traction Control, spending a few bucks more than my other choice, the Nokian One. We shall see. Since there are no good deals on tires any more, I figured to go with known quality. Or at least a close relative....

Back