Massey Ferguson 65 revival.

So I finally got the parts, good weather and time to get back to this. Got the carb reassembled. Not happy with how the bushing turned out. It was supposed to be the right one but instead of being a 1/4” shaft like everything says it is 9/32 so I drilled it to fit and managed to mangle the bushing in the process but it is still useable. Not as tight as I would like but if it doesn’t work I will take it to a machine shop and have it bored properly. The seal isn’t pretty either but will try it. Still need to get an oring for the needle valve since it wasn’t in the kit.

789E2454-8566-4631-9F29-C0B53E582A72.jpeg
B6CBFD21-2888-4191-A3D3-B0338B891FD3.jpeg

So here is the clutch pedal. It pivots on a shaft behind your foot unlike the later versions that pivoted in front of your foot. The bushings were almost gone and the shaft is badly worn. There is also a lot of slop in the pin holes on the linkage that attach to the throw out shaft making it difficult to get the second stage PTO clutch to disengage. I am going to braze the pin holes on the linkages to see if that helps. Some day I will have a new pivot shaft made for it.

image.jpg

I need to make up a PVC tube so that I can evapo rust long skinny parts without having to have a ton of fluid.

Last edited:
Put the carb on and fired it up with just the default settings. Forgot to hit record before I started it. Part of the knocking noise it a chunk of dirt in the crank pulley V. It smoothed out once oil got up to the rockers. Haven’t adjusted the valves yet so that is part of the noise.

I am going to have to do something to the linkage from the governor. It hits the manifold clamp now at part throttle.

I needed some shed therapy so decided to take everything off the back of the tractor to have an evaporust festival. I think anything I can take off of this and clean will get rust removal and primed so when I decide to paint the tractor the process will be a lot quicker. Every pivot point on this thing is worn so might do some hole repair where I can.
IMG_20200805_190219635.jpg

Back