Malibu trans RIP

To be honest with you, I can’t even get over the fact that the transmission went out at 85,000 miles. That alone would be enough incentive to walk away from the car/manufacturer for life.
The same thing happened to my parents with their 95 Ford Windstar years ago (head gasket followed immediately by transmission) and years later they are driving Fords again. Mainly because the dealer saved them on the head gasket repair.

But for every vehicle/manufacturer someone has a failure like this their is someone else that went 300k miles without issues with the same brand and won't buy anything else because of it.

To be honest with you, I can’t even get over the fact that the transmission went out at 85,000 miles. That alone would be enough incentive to walk away from the car/manufacturer for life.
My nieces older out of warranty RAV4 did it around 65,000 on the highway during rush hour

This car we bought new and was never abused, if there is no help from GM knowing this is obviously an issue with just 85k miles, I for one will NEVER buy another GM product. I understand all companies have problems but it's how they treat the end user that's important. I'll know this week and report back. Car is too good to junk at this point.

My nieces older out of warranty RAV4 did it around 65,000 on the highway during rush hour
Exactly. And we all know how reliable most Toyota's are. Any of them can fail that way. We just have to evaluate the number of failures from certain brands and models and pick vehicles based on that. Much easier when you're only buying ancient vehicles that had years to get a track record.

My parents lost the transmission in their 2001 TL and 2005 Maxima before they hit 90k and 80k. They were stuck paying for replacements...it happens. I wouldn't rule out a Honda or Nissan if they made a vehicle I was interested in. Throughout my lifetime and all the vehicles we've owned in the entire family, those were the only two to suffer a major catastrophic powertrain failure.

Exactly. And we all know how reliable most Toyota's are. Any of them can fail that way. We just have to evaluate the number of failures from certain brands and models and pick vehicles based on that.

Certain year RAV4s have exponentially more transmission failures than say a Corolla/Camry that has a similar engine.

Additionally Toyota’s in the 2009-2016 era tend (Like the Gen III Prius) to be much less reliable out of warranty than their older counterparts

Correction NO help from GM

Silverados are rolling garbage too.

They even look like cheap cheesy junk, straight off the showroom floor.. At least the ones from the 2000s or so forward do.

I do apologize if that offends anyone for some reason but when my BIL gave me a ride in one a few years ago, all I could say was.. Really, dude?

Last edited:
Update on transmission, had a well respected transmission shop rebuild it, as expected snap ring broke and made a mess. Thousand dollars in parts and 17 hours labor at 50 an hour, $1920 with tax. Shifts as new now. Still pissed it happened with just 85k miles.

Update on transmission, had a well respected transmission shop rebuild it, as expected snap ring broke and made a mess. Thousand dollars in parts and 17 hours labor at 50 an hour, $1920 with tax. Shifts as new now. Still pissed it happened with just 85k miles.
Frustrating but the vehicle is 10 years old. Glad you got it done reasonably.

This is a 6T70. It was a GM-Ford design. GM calls it a 6T70, 6T75 or 6T80 Depending on options.

The Ford one is 6F50 and 6F55.

They are used in literally millions of cars. They have been in production since 2006 and are actually a really good unit. The first few years did have some clutch problems but Ford and GM updated them in 2008. Malibu has used it since 2008.

The Edge, Fusion, Escape, Taurus, ATS, XTS, Equinox, Malibu, Traverse are just a few of the vehicles that use them. There is no serviceable filter unless you crack the case open. They have a dipstick/fill hole and drain plug. Service interval is 50,000 miles.
Pop the plug drain 6 qts add 6 qts. It is 9 qt transmission. It is easier than changing your oil.

The big difference between the two is tuning, some gear ratios, and GM uses 4 bolt torque converter.

GM 6T70
View attachment 29509
Ford 6F50
View attachment 29510

Op 2600 bucks for an installed transmission is pretty cheap.
My son found a good deal on a 2016 Cadillac SRX …
So, does that use the 6T70 with the 3.6L ?

My son found a good deal on a 2016 Cadillac SRX …
So, does that use the 6T70 with the 3.6L ?

Yes, that would be a 6T70.

As others have said, draining and refilling the transmission fluid is easier than changing the oil. If your son decides to buy the SRX it might be a good idea to make that one of the first things he does.

An independent shop will do that job for half that, those transmissions are a dime a dozen. A good low miler for a few hundred and $500 to install it. 1K will get you going just fine. That is if you get denied the good will warranty.
Not around here!!! At least double, and that is if you are lucky.

Back