Malibu trans RIP

2010 Malibu 4 cylinder 6 speed auto crapped out at 85k miles. I’ve read that GM extended warranty to 10 years 120k miles on these transmissions. Car is 10 years 6 months old, what do you think my chances are at getting it covered? If no warranty car probably is not worth repairing, replacement cost for HM reman is 4K installed.

2010 Malibu 4 cylinder 6 speed auto crapped out at 85k miles. I’ve read that GM extended warranty to 10 years 120k miles on these transmissions. Car is 10 years 6 months old, what do you think my chances are at getting it covered? If no warranty car probably is not worth repairing, replacement cost for HM reman is 4K installed.

An independent shop will do that job for half that, those transmissions are a dime a dozen. A good low miler for a few hundred and $500 to install it. 1K will get you going just fine. That is if you get denied the good will warranty.

unless the car is above average otherwise, JUNK IT!!! if you can get a new Kia-Hyundai that fits your budget or a very old lo tech ride as todays cars are more complicated + costly!!!

Just one example, this is overpriced but not horrible. 47K on it. I get stuff like this from pick a part for $150.

If the car is in decent shape otherwise, pick up a used transmission and have it installed (assuming GM will not do any kind of goodwill adjustment.)
Even if you want to get rid of it, the car will bring much more money in an operational state. Given the current shortage of used cars, fix it and sell privately.
Otherwise, do the fix and drive it out to the end.

It’s worth a try to see if GovMo will cover it. If they don’t then it’s possible they might give you a break on the costs.

I would definitely open a case with GM corporate They should provide goodwill of at least half (should be free honestly)

It seems like the other day everyone here was saying every automatic xmsn lasted 400,000 miles minimum

I would definitely open a case with GM corporate They should provide goodwill of at least half (should be free honestly)

It seems like the other day everyone here was saying every automatic xmsn lasted 400,000 miles minimum

This particular one is !!!! and I'm not sure anyone said 400k. Mitsubishi Eclipses also had bad transes (DSM) you are painting with too broad a brush there.

Received quote today for 2600 for complete rebuild, waiting on service writer I know to return from vacation to check into goodwill from GM. I’m thinking if GM won’t do it used and sell is the plan. Not going to trust this happening again with used trans.

The early Malibu 6 speed transmissions were made in Korea and were junk.
The transmission was designed in-house by GM. I don't know why were it's made matters. I don't disagree that it's a junk transmission, but that's pretty par for the course from GM, regardless of where it's made.

Received quote today for 2600 for complete rebuild, waiting on service writer I know to return from vacation to check into goodwill from GM. I’m thinking if GM won’t do it used and sell is the plan. Not going to trust this happening again with used trans.

Funny thing is some well known "bad" units from all sorts of makes go the distance. I have seen the 4T65E with over 200K on the OE 4th gear output shaft and no codes, it happens.

That is cheap by today's standards.
Almost in the same boat as the OP, my vintage 1995 F-4EAT transmission probably needs to be replaced at only 262K miles.

GMs seem to be the ones I see coffee black trans fluid in. That said, I have experience with a later year GM 6-speed and it was.. punchy. I think I liked it.

Back