Make your predictions for 20 years from now...

On engines that will be well thought of/revered in the future. Past engines include of course SBC, slant 6, Ford flathead 8's, Gen 1 Cummins etc etc...
The GM 8/6/4 , Ford 352, Ford 6.4 diesel, Chrysler 2.4 among many others, crapp.
I vote for the Pentastar. It will be interesting to see what the legacy is 20 years from now.

banana2.gif
B20Z2 FTW!!!
banana2.gif

I really do think it will live that long. Non-riced-out stock examples have been known to outlive the vehicle and drivetrain they are connected to, with proper maintenance (valve adjustments and timing belts). But too many Honda boys turbo them and crack the cylinder walls... So we'll see how many actually survive for another 20 years.

+1 on the Pentastar. It is simply a great engine. GM 5.3's as well.

Also +1 on the Chrysler 2.4 being crap. Not a fan of the a tigershark 2.4 either.

-LSX series engines are money, always have been.
-Mazda's SkyActiv engines are amazing for their applications, and darn near bulletproof so far. I think they will develop an even stronger reputation.
-The 3.6l Pentastar is proven to be very solid and have pretty good power. I think it will maintain that reputation.
-Ford's 5.0 is getting to be pretty nasty, and I think how ubiquitous it is will insure it remains popular in later years.

I am sure there are others, but those are the ones that stand out in my mind, now. GM just hasn't been delivering for the last 10 years or so. Nothing they have come up with has impressed me, if we are solely talking about engines. The iffy reliability of their LT-series that go in the 'vette now, or whatever they call that series, has been horrible ever since the LS7 valve-dropping debacle of the late 2000's finally got admitted to. I think the LS3 and the LS9 or whatever it was that went in the ZR1 was the last "bulletproof" type engine they came out with. They are now trying to get into the "high tech" game, and like Ford did a decade or 3 ago, are having serious "oopsies" as they trial and error it. Maybe in 2025-2030 they will nail it?

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Also +1 on the Chrysler 2.4 being crap. Not a fan of the a tigershark 2.4 either.

Why? I have half considered a Stelvio with a massive warranty. I heard its 2.0 is based on the TS?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Why? I have half considered a Stelvio with a massive warranty. I heard its 2.0 is based on the TS?

They seem to like burning oil, wasn't impressed with the power of it in my brothers Dart. The 2.0, at least the ones in the Caliber's seemed pretty bullet proof... dull, but reliable.

And I'm still jaded that there was no SRT Dart.

Originally Posted by Ws6

They seem to like burning oil, wasn't impressed with the power of it in my brothers Dart. The 2.0, at least the ones in the Caliber's seemed pretty bullet proof... dull, but reliable.

And I'm still jaded that there was no SRT Dart.

Makes sense. I read they are tested to do 0-60 in the mid 5's, but then I got on YouTube and watched regular people doing 0-60's in them and it looks like @7 seconds, same as my turbo CX5, if you count roll-out and don't brake-torque it and all the other mess they do in magazine tests because they don't own the car. I have yet to encounter one on the street, though, so it's just YT "racing" which is pointless.

Originally Posted by sloinker
On engines that will be well thought of/revered in the future. Past engines include of course SBC, slant 6, Ford flathead 8's, Gen 1 Cummins etc etc...
The GM 8/6/4 , Ford 352, Ford 6.4 diesel, Chrysler 2.4 among many others, crapp.
I vote for the Pentastar. It will be interesting to see what the legacy is 20 years from now.

And 3.8l Buick and small block Ford .

I agree on the slant 6 and I think the 5.2 magnum 318, the Mazda 2.5 4 cyl, the 302 Ford , 3.8 GM 6 cyl and the VW 1600. All those will still be used in a vehicle somewhere.

Everything Tesla related...

20 yrs from now most Motörheads will be dead. The people you're thinking to replace them don't have any interest in cars, lease with no passion and have no idea how to open a hood.

Within two decades everything will be electrified, possibly not using batteries. There will be as much interest in the ICE as we have in steam engines today. Just an esoteric technology from a bygone era.

For the time being I am enjoying my pentastar though.

Originally Posted by DdDd

20 yrs from now most Motörheads will be dead. The people you're thinking to replace them don't have any interest in cars, lease with no passion and have no idea how to open a hood.

Within two decades everything will be electrified, possibly not using batteries. There will be as much interest in the ICE as we have in steam engines today. Just an esoteric technology from a bygone era.

I hate to say but I agree. Remember when LCDs/Plasma became popular? In the span of 5 years CRTs became completely extinct. You have a better chance of finding a dinosaur than a CRT sold retail today. One breakthru discovery in batteries will be death for the ICE. No matter how much computer tech you put on it it is still tech that existed in the 1800s :lol:.. A step up from the steam engine.

Last edited:
Man that's a good question on what's going to be hot rodded and sought after well into the future. Maybe something like the pentastar could be a possibility, but it still can't run in factory form without massive computer control and electronics.

I easily think there's still going to be ICE vehicles being sold that burn gasoline 20yrs from now.

50yrs from now maybe not so much. How long have we been working on the power/density thing for batteries for this application? 120yrs?

Obviously we've got options now, but it's not possible for everybody.

Originally Posted by DdDd

I wouldn't say most will be dead. I'm a millennial, and there are quite a few gear heads my age, they just are a different type. My dad's generation had nice old Chevys and stuff from their childhood they would restore and drive 3 times a year to car shows. People from my generation are about horsepower, tuning, building, etc. Mainly because most stuff isn't built to last like the old cars were. I have quite a few automotive enthusiast friends, and none of us go to car shows. We like going to driving events, working on our cars, driving them on cruises, etc. There were a lot of people back in the day that had no interest in cars, just like there are today.

I think a lot of the engines admired in the future will be for their tune-ability, like the BMW B58. Electric has it's own great advantages like instant torque, but it can't replace the sound and feel of an ICE. The car guys I know who own a Tesla usually also own an ICE vehicle for fun like a Mustang or Vette.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
2.4L Honda
3.8 GM V-6
Iron-block Land Cruiser motors
4.0 Toyota V6

I like that the 2.4 L Honda made the top of someones list, because that is what is in my 2016 CR-V. I know others have said it is about as bullet proof as an engine can get, and it is interesting that it made any list because now Honda is now trying to totally replace it with the turbo 1.5L

I think Mazda's clever use of pairing exhaust ports in pairs with one using the high pressure initial exhaust pulse to scavenge high volume from the later low pressure high volume part of the exhaust pulse from the other it is paired with, to produce sufficient gas to spin the turbo at low engine RPMs in order to produce good low end torque is very good. And cooling the EGR in order not to have to run the fuel mixture rich in order to improve MPGs even though the range of operation that it works at mostly is only seen in the customers wallet, and not in the EPA tests, is something I would like to see licensed to other engine manufactures but that will probably never happen.

Unfortunately, while Mazda makes a great engine, and a nice interior, and a fancy multi layer paint job, it's a shame their seats are not anywhere near as comfortable as Nissan's zero gravity seats. And also some one I know said that when their Mazda got up to 80,000 miles it became a money pit with all the suspension and other part repairs it needed each year to pass inspection. 80,000 miles is way to early for a vehicle to turn into a money pit.

Originally Posted by CT8
Looking at the past 20 years wouldn't dare predict the future 20 years.

No sir

In 20 years I'll be 80 or dead most likely !!

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by CT8
Looking at the past 20 years wouldn't dare predict the future 20 years.

No sir

In 20 years I'll be 80 or dead most likely !!

I am 67 years old now soooooo!

Back