Made by Kia for Hyundai - surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
All OE tires suck, not just Hyundai Hankooks.

Is your tire size 235/65-17?

Just bought a 2016 Kia Sorento SX V6 AWD 3 row.

Came OE with Michelin Premier LTX 235/55-19. Pretty happy about that.

As already noted, I'm guessing the plate says "made by Kia" because it was built in the Kia factory, not the Hyundai factory.

As also noted, while Hyundai owns a large part of Kia and the companies are connected, they're not as connected at some people think. It's not like comparing Chevy/Buick or Dodge/Chrysler. There's more separation between Hyundai/Kia than those other examples.

Originally Posted By: ernied
I it came with so I was going to buy some new ones this summer.when I looked on the plate on the drivers door I was shocked.it said made by Kia for Hyundai.has any one else ever heard of this?

so shocked you posted it in the sub-section concerning motor oil apparently
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
hyundai and kia are sister companies. aimed at different markets.

Idiots and bigger idiots with bigger egos
lol.gif

What are the different markets? I see they both start out at $15K or so. Are Kias for the youngest market, with Hyundai for those a bit older?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

What are the different markets? I see they both start out at $15K or so.

From what I've heard, in South Korea, KIA is thought of as a more upscale/luxury brand compared to Hyundai.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

From what I've heard, in South Korea, KIA is thought of as a more upscale/luxury brand compared to Hyundai.

Seems like the opposite here... Kia makes regular cars and Hyundai steals badges and design characteristics from other manufacturers and thinks they're a high performance luxury brand.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Seems like the opposite here... Kia makes regular cars and Hyundai steals badges and design characteristics from other manufacturers and thinks they're a high performance luxury brand.

Yeah that is right on point. When I see lowered Genesis or whatever the name is of that coupe riding on 19-20 inch wheels with tries that are probably $70 per piece and huge exhaust, I just have to look who is driver. Usually tires are squeaking, and you can hear Hyundai automatic how sluggishly shifts.
I remember Hyundai introducing 272 hp 2.0 turbo. I was like: oh someone is confident. Then some time later power goes to 250hp. But it is Hyundai hp, probably 150 at wheels
smile.gif

They are OK appliance cars, but other then that....

Kooks and Kuhmos are just like any other tires. Some models are excellent and others not so much.

Hyundai is to Kia what Buick is to Chevrolet.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
As already noted, I'm guessing the plate says "made by Kia" because it was built in the Kia factory, not the Hyundai factory.

As also noted, while Hyundai owns a large part of Kia and the companies are connected, they're not as connected at some people think. It's not like comparing Chevy/Buick or Dodge/Chrysler. There's more separation between Hyundai/Kia than those other examples.

This is literally true. In practice however Kia is controlled by Hyundai.

I would have never even dreamed of owning a KIA 10 years ago now there are two in the family and they have been stellar. We have had the Sedona 4 years now and about 47k and it's never seen the inside of the shop EVER. Nice.

The engine in our Sedona is a Hyundai made Lambda II 3.5 v6. Love it tremendous power and a fun growl to go with it.

KC i have a 2010 Santa Fe and a 2011 Both with the 3.5 v6 both are powerful and run great but they sometimes both sound like diesels during a cold starts.
Hyundai and Kia build great vehicles.

Yes they can be noisy on cold start for sure. To my ear the typical KIA start up racket is a little less with the Castrol Magnatec I have been using the last 3 OCI's, but still noisier than most makes regardless.

The Hyundai/Kia 3.5 v6 engines may make noise at cold startup and sometimes have an oil light that may stay on for a second or two on startup when hot but they run a long long time on my 2010 i have well over 120,00 miles although i dont drive it much a family member has it and loves it.. No problems at all.

Some Camrys in the US are made by Subaru in Indiana.

What's the big deal?

Now if I bought a 4Runner and and it was made by either Kia or Hyundai, I'd be concerned.

Kia and Hyundai should have similar production/assembly quality.

Hyundia and Kia are made in Korea here - VIN starting in K...next digit should tell which factory. Hyundai have been around a long time, we first got them here with a Ford Cortina floor chassis and Mitsubishi driveline, they seemed to drop Mitsi when both went right hand engine. At first Kia appeared much lower quality, but they seem about the same now. Some Kia driveline looks very much Mazda based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back