Machine Polishers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griots
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Vikas
Unless the polisher costs over $500 bucks and has designer name, TheCritic does NOT touch it :)

You can't portray me as the snob. After all, you are the one with the P3D.
wink.gif

Unless the polisher costs over $500 bucks and has designer name, TheCritic does NOT touch it :)

LOL...obviously.

Originally Posted by The Critic

You can't portray me as the snob. After all, you are the one with the P3D.
wink.gif

That is actually P3D+ (with 20" performance wheels) BUT I will still tinker with it my Taiwanese HF tools instead of buying Snap On tools like you :) :)

Do you know something funny? I wanted to take a dig at you and was trying to remember the polisher that you would most likely purchase. So I googled "Best DA polisher" but the name did not show up on the 1st page. So I changed the search string to "Most expensive DA polisher" and bam, there was "Rupes"; that is what you most likely have !!!!

When it comes to TheCritic, best is not good enough; unless it is the most expensive best, TheCritic does NOT touch it.

Last edited:
I have a Flex.

Kind of overkill. These days you don't have to have a high elbow grease wax to get a good, long lasting shine. You need a machine for grinding, but then, if you are consistently maintaining with quality sealant, you shouldn't have much need for abrasives.

My use of abrasives consisted of a one-time use of an all in one product, in 7 years and I applied it by hand.

Realistically, my 7 year old vehicle looks like a well maintained 2-3 year old car. Not a showpiece, but I'm fairly certain it will mechanically give out before the cosmetics fade, which is the point.

I've got an older Griots garage one with the long cable (which is awesome, BTW), I don't use it to its full potential, but I have managed to not damage any paint with it, and at the same time, I've saved a ton of labor with it. I'm very judicious in using it for polishing, I want the paint to stay as thick as it can. I only really polish each car to the point that the finish is blemish free every few years. I also use it for applying wax, and cleaning the shower stall glass walls and door in the bathroom, and I've used it on tile as well. Different types of pads obviously.

So I got one of the now discontinued HF DA units with Chemical Guys 5.5" Quantum Hex-Logic pads (orange, white, black) and the Torq R5 DA backing plate. Replaced the grease in the HF unit with the real deal (and plenty of it) and it runs fine. Switch is sometimes "wonky" as it is on the wrong side (and can't be changed unlike a previous HF version of this DA) but I've learned to live with it.

Did a full paint correction this past weekend and loved the results (and didn't spend a fortune).

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Love my Porter-Cable 7424. Had it, and my Lake Country pads since 2006 and still going strong. Always great results.

Like the one here very much as well.

It gets a lot of criticism such as being called a wax spreader, but the HF or similar 10 inch random orbital polisher is a nice little machine to develop beginner level detailing skills. If you're not doing any paint correction, it does a great job spreading a thin layer of wax that isn't hard to remove. I've gotten mine out this summer and have had a good time using it.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
It gets a lot of criticism such as being called a wax spreader, but the HF or similar 10 inch random orbital polisher is a nice little machine to develop beginner level detailing skills. If you're not doing any paint correction, it does a great job spreading a thin layer of wax that isn't hard to remove. I've gotten mine out this summer and have had a good time using it.

Yeah...that's what we really like about the Porter-Cable 7424...it has 6 speeds and works well with polish, wax, glazes, sealants, and other detailing products.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

+1, Walmart has a 10 and a 6 inch polisher for around $20. I prefer the 6 inch one since it's smaller and more maneuverable. It's a big step up compared to doing everything by hand and as you mention removal is a breeze. Plus these things can be modified to do some legitimate polishing per an old thread on here.

Not in the same league as a PC or even the HF model. But I'd rather not polish off the clear coat on the car anyway since a new paint job will cost thousands. I can deal with some micro-scratches on a daily driver. Compared to an eyesore of a car that has a chalky white clear coat paint finish(esp with the darker colors or colours if in Canada).

I got to exercise the new Rupes LHR 15 Mark III when I polished the X5 in preparation for ceramic coating. In terms of efficiency of correcting it met or exceeded my expectations, it corrects very quickly. In terms of comfort using/holding it, it met or exceeded my expectations. In terms of vibration & quietness it did not, it's not bad, but based on a lot of over-the-top reviews I had higher (maybe unrealistic) expectations. Overall I'm satisfied and am looking forward to trying it on something that really gives it a workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back