MacBook Pro Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there

I have several issues with my Pro that I like to fix

1. for some reason Safari is so slow after longer use, about 15min surfing the web

2. I cannot download that latest OS on my Pro for some reason; in settings it says there something available to download, however, I run the update and Mojave the latest edition is shown only

3. Id like to remove some sites from my readings list in Safari, I was wondering whether someone knows how to adjust that reading list please

Needless to say, it is 2017 MacBook Pro Edition with the Touch Bar run non the Latest Mojave version OS

Help

Thanks for all your input!

I have an MBP, quite a bit older than yours. I use Safari for forums like this one and YouTube. Mine runs cooler watching Safari with YouTube instead of Opera. Something about all the coding that Opera uses when watching YouTube heats up the CPU.

For surfing the web, I use Opera. Google Chrome got to be too slow, so I don't use it anymore. I try to reset the browsers often to help maintain operating speed. In addition to resetting the browsers often, I use an app called Tweek and Tuneup which seems to help keep things cleaned out. If the speed gets real bad, I'll use Disk Utility First Aid.

It might not let you update the OS because of the CPU that you have. That's the way it is with mine. El Capitan is the latest version Apple will let me use.

2017 model should be able to be updated still to latest and greatest.

I don't know how to solve your issue but I usually just used Google to search if anybody else have the same or similar problem.
There are also trick with using keyboard key on how to go to safe mode and update the OS that way when you search.
Make sure you have a back up of your disk.

Unfortunately, I only run 2011 model of MBP. Yes, this one is not upgradable anymore.
It is difficult to pin point exactly what is wrong with your computer without access to it.

I have an early 2015 and have no issues.

1. When's the last time you restarted?

2. If you have downloaded the update, check behind your open programs for the setup box. Until you run it, it will always say you need to download it.

3. I can't remember now but it took some trying. You can't just drag them to the recycling bin.

Thank you guys for your prompt input!

I think all of my problems are related to Safari; I was wondering is there timing reset to some previous date, the one that exists in Windows OS for example, or simply how to uninstall Safari and install it again; I thing that would resolve majority of problems;

also I've checked on apple site, my type MBP is under recall for sticky keyboard; I planned to take it to Apple store in coming days but meanwhile I was wondering if I can help it from the comfort of my home

and that reading list something I cannot rearrange for some reason

the are some images of my issues

IMG_7641.jpeg

IMG_7642.jpeg

IMG_7643.jpeg

Last edited:
Compared to you guys.....

My 2008 MBP is like walking through a collapsing haunted house. I believe my OS is Mountain Lion. Power conversion to my battery is no good so I have to be plugged in 100% of the time. 20 minutes away from power is the most I can do.

Ha-ha....what would you buy to replace? How's that for getting to the point?

Since I'm not editing a film I can get by with something more basic. However, I do want to feel a quality thing beneath my pounding fingers.

I'm serious. Where do you go for coupons?

Im typing this on a 2010 air that is currently downloading OS updates, and no issues getting the latest OS on my 2013 Pro 15".

Something is not right.

Have you run disk first aid? Rebooted recently? How is your internet connection? Sometimes Ive seen the OS update be flaky if the internet connection isnt strong.

Try running a different browser and see what transpires.

You potentially have a website you visit often that leaks memory on Safari. We run into this often developing cloud applications on Safari.

Please note (web) developers use Chrome for primary development.

I thank y'all

I took longest route so I formatted the hard drive and I was able to reinstall MojaveOS version one; soon after CatalinaOS was there able to upload; after the system reset itself and CatalinaOS is installed I think my Mac will be good to go again

In coming days I'll visit a Apple store and check on the sticky board

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Kira
Compared to you guys.....

My 2008 MBP is like walking through a collapsing haunted house. I believe my OS is Mountain Lion. Power conversion to my battery is no good so I have to be plugged in 100% of the time. 20 minutes away from power is the most I can do.

Ha-ha....what would you buy to replace? How's that for getting to the point?

Since I'm not editing a film I can get by with something more basic. However, I do want to feel a quality thing beneath my pounding fingers.

I'm serious. Where do you go for coupons?

I ran this through translate and it said "Language Not Found."

Originally Posted by madRiver
Try running a different browser and see what transpires.

You potentially have a website you visit often that leaks memory on Safari. We run into this often developing cloud applications on Safari.

Please note (web) developers use Chrome for primary development.

This may be the case. My 2010 MBA only has 4GB of RAM and it gets eaten up fast with any bowser operating more than one tab. Safari is the most efficient, Firefox and chrome are equally as bad.

On my 2015(? I forget, it much newer and uses an i7 series processor) MBP, Ive swapped between chrome and Firefox but have stayed with ff for a while.

That said, last night I had to change to bing as my primary search engine, as ff was running really slow with TLS handshakes to google. Like crawling. Bing was instant.

I also did security patches on all our computers. Apple wasn't sending them out that fast, and downloads reset a few times. Speedtest.net was showing solid 9ms ping and 25/25 rock solid for our web connection...

FYI, but Catalina breaks Photoshop CS5 and some other apps that have worked fine in every previous OSX release. I did the upgrade on my MBP last week only to discover that. My Mac Pro is still on Mojave and may end up staying there.

It's been a while since I've used MacOS but I suspect you have a Safari add on or extension that is conflicting with the rest of the system. A reboot with extensions off will tell you.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
FYI, but Catalina breaks Photoshop CS5 and some other apps that have worked fine in every previous OSX release. I did the upgrade on my MBP last week only to discover that. My Mac Pro is still on Mojave and may end up staying there.

Yes not sure how one would know but 32bit applications (old) are no longer supported.

Yes not sure how one would know but 32bit applications (old) are no longer supported.

Which breaks a ton of older software unfortunately
frown.gif
Photoshop isn't cheap.

Here's the TL;dr from the CNET article:

1. Click the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.

2. Select About This Mac.

3. Click System Report.

4. Scroll down to the Software section and click Applications.

5. On the right, you'll see a list of apps and a column labeled 64-Bit (Intel). If any of those apps have a No in that column, it means they're not 64-bit apps, so you'll need to update them or find a replacement before you get the MacOS Catalina update.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/macos-catalina-is-killing-off-32-bit-apps-heres-what-that-means-for-you/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back