M54 valve cover

At 116K miles, my BMW needed another valve cover gasket job. The first one was done at 52K miles.

After replacing the gasket, while the shop was putting the valve cover back on, it cracked, so they gave me a new one. Here is the old one. This is what short tripping during winter months up north looks like.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ouch! I am assuming that based upon this (during the winter months), you will either shorten your OCI or take some longer drives?

Does a lot of moisture!
if I was doing annual oil changes, i would do it in the middle of winter after a long nice run.

Have you replace the PCV system???

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Ouch! I am assuming that based upon this (during the winter months), you will either shorten your OCI or take some longer drives?

I do try to take longer drives on weekends, but I won't go out of my way and just waste fuel for no reason - that's what I have the SRT for.
smile.gif

This BMW is my winter beater, and I don't drive much in general. I put on about 4K miles per year on it and change the oil once a year in early Spring.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
that is some sweet sweet mayonnaise!
lol.gif

Might go well with some kraut and bratwurst.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
that is some sweet sweet mayonnaise!
lol.gif

Might go well with some kraut and bratwurst.
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
They sure don't make valve covers like they used to.

Believe it or not, these are the "better" ones. Newer ones list for 550 and have an integral PCV.

Originally Posted by Audios

Believe it or not, these are the "better" ones. Newer ones list for 550 and have an integral PCV.

Plastic valve covers are $550??!?!?!?! wow..

Originally Posted by amblerman

its a bmw, endless money pits.

AND they get hard/brittle with age and heat.
Never had that problem with alum valve covers on the old ones.

Originally Posted by 50jeffrey
I have heard that the plastic parts on BMW's go belly up as they age.

Not just BMW, but any car with plastic engine/cooling components.
Just ask Scotty Kilmer
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by 50jeffrey
I have heard that the plastic parts on BMW's go belly up as they age.
Not just BMW, but any car with plastic engine/cooling components.
Just ask Scotty Kilmer
lol.gif

IDK the plastic intake manifold on my old BMW is the one plastic thing that hasn't failed yet. And my ECHO is doing well with its plastic intake and dipstick.

I think it must have to do with the type of plastic being used.

Naw,...More like $200-$300 for OEM and $450 for Genuine BMW. I just had the gasket/cover replaced on my 435i. My cover was replaced out of an abundance of caution due to the intergrated pcv design and I plan on keeping my vehicle for awhile since I won't "give it away" at some ridiculously low price on the used market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Naw,...More like $200-$300 for OEM and $450 for Genuine BMW. I just had the gasket/cover replaced on my 435i. My cover was replaced out of an abundance of caution due to the intergrated pcv design and I plan on keeping my vehicle for awhile since I won't "give it away" at some ridiculously low price on the used market.

I've had good luck with the ebay valve covers (whole kit is $150) on the M52 and M54 engines. For the N series engines like my N51 you want to use the OEM cover because the PCV valve is integrated into the cover after 2006. Even then, you can get OEM covers for $500 on FCP Euro which comes with a lifetime warranty. You can find other sellers for cheaper. Personally I lucked out and had mine replaced by the dealer under the SULEV warranty.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I've had good luck with the ebay valve covers (whole kit is $150) on the M52 and M54 engines. For the N series engines like my N51 you want to use the OEM cover because the PCV valve is integrated into the cover after 2006. Even then, you can get OEM covers for $500 on FCP Euro which comes with a lifetime warranty. You can find other sellers for cheaper. Personally I lucked out and had mine replaced by the dealer under the SULEV warranty.

I almost purchased one via AMAZON on an alleged Mahle cover, but I wasn't confident it was what they said it was and I still to buy TTY bolts, vent pipe and screws/seal for the valvetronic motor. In the end I went with the kit sold by FCP Euro.

Last edited:
Back