M1 HM vs VML

I am going Valvoline HM synthetic on next oil change cause it was cheaper. I am not concerned although I have 17k on it but like hm oil especially Valvoline as it conditions the seals not swell them. On older formulas seals seem to harden over time so it could be a good thing. With the difference in 100C is minute but I would think lower number would flow better. Either one works as both are 30 grade.

The V@100C is a useless spec. The oil with the higher HTHS@150C is the heavier oil.
Maxlife is listed at 3.2 and Mobil 1 does not list it on the 5w-30 HM...only the 10/30 and up.

I haven't a clue what those numbers mean though. Educate me

If it's not leaking or burning, how does it "need it"?

There are a number of high additive thick oils - look at the motorcycle oils - out there without the extra seal swell additives if thick and robust is your goal.
First of all i never said it needed high mileage oil , i said its oil your engine needs oil !! second there is barely any difference in the valvoline maxlife and valvoline regular syn oil in being thick , so if there is a better add pack in the high mile oil why not use it,

Because the other additives will harm your seals in the long run.

And you don't have to buy a high mileage motor oil to get high ZDDP levels. Here is one manufacturer's range:

Mobil 1 ZDDP levels

For example, the 4T 10W-40 looks like a nice healthy formula.

I'm not convinced the esters in MaxLife will harm your seals.

After 15 years of MaxLife the seals in my Buddy's 4.6L Mustang are still tight. I think it's got about 240,000 mi on it now and had 90,000 mi on it when he started. Still no leaks (Unless you count the defective intake manifold that got replaced which was a coolant leak).

I'm not convinced the esters in MaxLife will harm your seals.
I don't know for a fact that only "esters" are used in MaxLife for seal conditioning.

If one of the purposes of a High Mileage motor oil is to swell seals, if you use it when the seals are working fine, what will you use if they begin to seep?

Because the other additives will harm your seals in the long run.

And you don't have to buy a high mileage motor oil to get high ZDDP levels. Here is one manufacturer's range:

Mobil 1 ZDDP levels

For example, the 4T 10W-40 looks like a nice healthy formula.
Proof? Oh it only an opinion. Valvoline states you can use high mileage in a new engine with a 300k warranty. The extra protection although is marketing for same price is why I wouldn't worry.

My experience with HM is Valvoline is the best and also the only one that claims to be fine to use in new engines. However like others are saying I only use and recommend HM oil if remediation is needed. See my sig - no HM oils but all 120k plus mileage on all combustion vehicles.

But if you feel you must, use Valvoline IMO.

I don't know for a fact that only "esters" are used in MaxLife for seal conditioning.

If one of the purposes of a High Mileage motor oil is to swell seals, if you use it when the seals are working fine, what will you use if they begin to seep?

Valvoline says it won't hurt a new car. I will take them at their word until I have reason to believe otherwise.

M1 recommends against their product in new cars. I will also take them at their word.

Valvoline says it won't hurt a new car. I will take them at their word until I have reason to believe otherwise.

M1 recommends against their product in new cars. I will also take them at their word.
Except in an email response yesterday to Wemay they said basically it depends on the vehicle. If it meets the specs required for said vehicle they recommend it. So I'm sticking with the use it in any vehicle, it's not going to harm the seals.

Except in an email response yesterday to Wemay they said basically it depends on the vehicle. If it meets the specs required for said vehicle they recommend it. So I'm sticking with the use it in any vehicle, it's not going to harm the seals.
You're going to trust some random customer service rep? I wouldn't.

It would be quite the kerfuffle if it were somehow unadvised or even harmful considering all are API SN and most are SN PLUS. How is the consumer to know that one oil with the proper API license is somehow detrimental whereas one with the same license is okay to use?

No, I trust my own judgement, and I think anyone worrying about high mileage oil causing leaks is a little bit insane. I've seen no evidence of that ever happening.

I know that wasn't directed at me but my point was while I'm not particularly worried either way I would be inclined to follow the manufacturers advice as to use. Especially when other HM Oils are available that are recommended to be used in new vehicles.

I know that wasn't directed at me but my point was while I'm not particularly worried either way I would be inclined to follow the manufacturers advice as to use. Especially when other HM Oils are available that are recommended to be used in new vehicles.
I understand that thinking, I'm not going to argue that, I'm just trying to stick with high mileage oils since all my engines are high mileage (newest is 15 years 200k, oldest is 44 years and unknown mileage (likely 300k +, 13 years and 105k since regasket and timing set), and a 37 year old 305. They all leak a little, the 44 year old Oldsmobile just started leaking from the oil pan gasket.

I buy what's on sale locally, which is most often m1 and I personally prefer their oils short of paying $$$ for amsoil or Redline. I would try the Maxlife just to see if it improves leaks/consumption any compared to m1ep HM, but I almost never see it on sale. I have some Valvoline vr1 on the shelf for when I finally do a camshaft upgrade on the Olds.

Back