M1 5w30 ESP & Valvoline 5w40 MST

I have six quarts of Mobil 1 5w30 ESP that was to be used in my '15 VW Passat that I sold. That oil is Dexos-2 approved.
I also have six quarts of Valvoline 5w40 MST, Dexos-2, that I use in my '17 Colorado 2.8L Duramax.

I like using something heavier that 5w-30 in the Colorado so I was thinking of using 3 quarts of each of the above for the next two OC's on the Colorado. It takes six quarts for an OC.

Would you you recommend the mix or should I just use the M1 ESP for one oil change and use the Valvoline MST for the next?
I'm leaning to using the 50/50 mix.

+1 I would use the ESP now for the colder months and use the other next spring/summer. JMHO but I don't like franken brews, I rather have all the same chemistry in the sump. I know they claim its all mixable but there is no need of it in this case.

+1 I would use the ESP now for the colder months and use the other next spring/summer. JMHO but I don't like franken brews, I rather have all the same chemistry in the sump. I know they claim its all mixable but there is no need of it in this case.
+1....

Aaaaaand....let us know which one was quieter.....since ESP has MoDTC.....and as far as I remember Valvoline does not...

;)

ESP is VW 504/507 also...❤

I would use one brand for each oil change. ESP is just about 40 grade anyway
Looks like you are correct. (Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 vs Valvoline MST 5W-40)

HTHS: M1=3.6, MST=3.7
VI: M1=164, MST=167
POUR POINT:M1=-45, MST= -39

Looks like the M1 ESP 5w-30 could almost be labeled a 5-w40. I see no need to mix Valvoline MST 5w-40 with the M1 ESP 5w-30 in an attempt to gain a "thicker" oil. I wanted to use a 5w-40 while towing a rv with the 2.8 Duramax, but thanks the what I've learned here , the M1 is just about a 5w-40.

Do not mix. Both are good oils. I used both in my BMW diesel. Use ESP during colder months (it will have just bit less parasitic drag, but probably not noticable).

This be good for a turbo Gasoline Direct Injection engine?
In my humble opinion, the Mobil 1 ESP line is a top tier lubricant. Especially for both turbo Gasoline AND Diesel Direct Injection engines. You could call them "Euro" oils as they are spec'd for most European OEM's. They are also marketed as extended drain oils.

I use it it my Mazda and my VW Jetta. Have some Valvoline to use up but then going back to ESP in my Duramax 2.8. A little more difficult to locate, but if you're in no rush, deals can be found on line.

0W-20 | 0W-30 | 0W-40 | 5W-30 are the available weights.
Mobil 1 Product Guides downloaded .pdf

Back