Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The virgin Rotella T CJ4 was from Wally world, I got it while mis-marked for $7 a gallon (bought 20). Again with the virgin material I think it does show some high visc readings, but when I do my UOA on oil it will be interesting to see what visc will be????

Jaymus while I was suprised at the high visc and lack of additives I would not just drop it out of th pan...If you have been using it for a while and like the results just leave it in, if there was something bad in it chances are it would have have a negative impact before now. MY UOA will tell mne if I continue to run it..

I'm very interested to see your results. I just can't believe it thickens the oil passed to a thick 20w-50 or thicker ( I think). I think it has its pros and cons, but I don't think I'll be using it in my good running cars anymore.

There are no pros unless you are using it to extend the life of an engine on its very last legs. Substituting one quart of this stuff for your regular motor oil just means your loosing that much in the way of additives and better quality base oil. If you want a good, really thick oil I believe Valvoline makes a SynPower 20W50.

Fear not, we all go through denial about our favorite additives.

Quote:

Substituting one quart of this stuff for your regular motor oil just means your loosing that much in the way of additives and better quality base oil.

I agree with that yes sir!!!!!

Yeah, but this site isn't about ideas. Sure, there are plenty of feel good (I can tell my engine is running smoother) posts. But fact is, the goal is increased knowledge. If this stuff is group I brightstock, it's certainly not beneficial to a group II/III/IV oil. If it's a thick polymer, same deal. Lucas's ads are heavy on testimonial and light on fact. They advertise this stuff as a cure all for everything. Here, as with anything else, the old adage applies that if it's too good to be true....

Quote:

There are no pros unless you are using it to extend the life of an engine on its very last legs.

What good would it do in this situation? Just the reduce consumption/boost compression theories because of thicker visc.? Is there more?
dunno.gif
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Quote:

There are no pros unless you are using it to extend the life of an engine on its very last legs.

What good would it do in this situation? Just the reduce consumption/boost compression theories because of thicker visc.? Is there more?
dunno.gif
popcorn.gif

Nope, no more. Short story is there is no need for the stuff. It's just an inefficient way to get a thicker oil

But Brian right now everyone has an opinion on this product, while I would agree that from the UOA it really does not have a lot to offer as far as additives my next UOA will show if there are any differant results from current Rotella T / Cummins owners.
Again, while everyone thinks its slop I have not had any bad results and neither have my friends. I liken this to the Amsoil / Mobil 1/ Castrol / Delo debates, you will have haters, lovers, detractors and idiots..and little will sway our opinions.
deadhorse.gif

Lucas makes good stuff, just like their upper cylinder lubricant. It gives a more complete combustion, also. Everyone knows you can feel the difference when you use that stuff.

Well, this oil stabilizer claims it increases the life of your engine. Sure, anyone can say that, but I almost believe it has to have some pros. I do know for a fact that without this stuff, my engine chatters (timing chain, etc. in my 4.6 OHC V8 Ford) in the mornings, and with this stuff in here, it never does it, even if it sits for 3 days. That's the only pro that I 'know' of. I don't think a 20w-50 would have the same effect that this gives. It supposively coats all your moving parts so you don't have to wait for oil to get to them.. it's already there.

I'm curious to see your UOA with it. How long til you send it in?

I have a blackstone labs conatainer here at my house... I have Castrol GTX 10w-30 and Lucas oil stabilizer in it (4:1). I may send mine in when I change it. Only one problem... my odometer doesn't work. I change my oil when I feel that it needs it, lol. I'm sure I never go over 4000 miles, though.

Besides the extra thickening of the oil, the main thing that turns me away from this product is that it has no additives. I mean, come on...

Last edited:
You all realize there are UOAs with this stuff posted.

As for increasing the life of your engine....

You should read Mola's posts on Lucas. He's a respected chemist and thinks it's just one great rip off. If it truly is group I brightstock petroleum, that quieter engine's not going to be as clean as it could be when all that group I breaks down and leaves deposits.

bright stock is a dark amber/green oil what color is the Lucas stuff?? If light colored likem honey then is NOT bright stock but a PIB or a Polymer.
bruce

Lucas is light colored. Certainly not dark. How does using a polymer, though, fit into their claims of it being 100% petroleum? Is that just creative use of petroleum as long as the polymer is a petrochemical?

You wouldn't accuse Lucas of being shifty? (sarcasm included in last statement)

Jaymus..I am within the next 30 days going to send in my sample, it will either be 6 motnhs or 7.5k miles....more likely 6 months and 4.5k miles.

Quote:

You all realize there are UOAs with this stuff posted.

I actually couldn't find any other UOA's with Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I wouldn't mind to see some UOA's with and without this stabilizer

Here's how I'm thinking of the oil stabilizer...

I see that it has no additives... I see that it just makes a 30 weight oil more around a 50 - 60 weight oil. I do not like either one of those, unless I was doing an endurance race, lol, but even then, I'd just choose a thicker oil.

I noticed it helped my cold start ups AS FAR AS MY EARS COULD TELL. That doesn't mean everything, though.

I am looking forward to your UOA, shup1. But, I probably won't use this stuff anymore, unless I see something really good on here about it. It seems like just a quarter of a quart would be enough for each oil change. It'd probably make a thin 30 weight a thick 30 weight, and also maybe still help cold start ups.

So, all it says it is on the bottle is 100% pertroleum.. but it is not green as mentioned, it is a light, honey brown. And it is as thick as honey, too.... I haven't been pouring honey in my engine, have I?
nono.gif

well most honey oil looking VIII are 97% or so Mineral oil and 3-4% OCP polymer which is diverived from petrolium so thay are accurate if it is a diluted polymer.
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back