Lucas Hot Rod and Classic 10W40

Looks like it is better suited for break in oil.

IMG_20200812_105445.jpg

Last edited:
Way too much ZDDP. That's well into corrosive territory. There's no application on Earth that needs more than ~1400 ppm. Even NHRA Stock and Super Stock eliminator, with extreme lobe intensity on flat tappet lifters, hold together just fine on 1200 ppm.

Lucas is 99% marketing. They appeal to the "more is better" crowd.

It actually wouldn't be too great as a break-in oil either. Too much moly and calcium.

Last edited:
What evidence of corrosive damage is there to show this oil (or others) is in corrosive territory with respect to the ZDDP level? Redline uses similar ZDDP quantities in their motorcycle specific oils and there isn’t a history of corrosive effects that I am aware of with any UOA I have read on this forum with engines going 5,000 miles between oil changes. This isn’t a break in oil, not applicable with respect to moly or calcium content.
Corrosively damaging to an engine, haven’t seen it, but would be interested to see where that has occurred.

At least Lucas doesn't claim any API licenses for the oil and they do say "Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Car Motor Oil SAE 10W-40 is for muscle, showroom, classic and trophy cars without catalytic converters. It can be used in racing applications. Not recommended for passenger car use." That should cut down on anyone using it as a general motor oil, at least if they read and heed the statements Lucas themselves give.

What evidence of corrosive damage is there to show this oil (or others) is in corrosive territory with respect to the ZDDP level? Redline uses similar ZDDP quantities in their motorcycle specific oils and there isn’t a history of corrosive effects that I am aware of with any UOA I have read on this forum with engines going 5,000 miles between oil changes. This isn’t a break in oil, not applicable with respect to moly or calcium content.
Corrosively damaging to an engine, haven’t seen it, but would be interested to see where that has occurred.

I'm trying to find the study, as it's been a while since I looked at it, but it was a Hugh Spikes (et all) study showing micropitting and spalling with ZDDP concentrations above a certain amount in an MTM. In speaking with Lake (when he was with Driven), the same was observed in his testing of formulations with higher concentrations.

I think we need @MolaKule to come in here and give us his thoughts on this oil. I'm curious about the type of ZDDP used here. The phosphorus is higher than the zinc which is a little abnormal. They are either using a different type of ZDDP than is typical (different alkyls/chaining or different molecular structure) that has a different ratio of phosphorus to zinc or the extra phosphorus is coming from somewhere else such as possibly a molybdenum dithiophosphate.

857 PPM of moly. Could be a form of moly contributing to the phosphorus, I’m just not an expert with respect to how that would work.

As noted by RDY4WAR, you don’t typically see higher phosphorus levels compared to zinc.

Back