Lubegard Platinum Dosage

I have a question about how much Lubegard Platinum i need to use, The instructions says use 1 ounce per quart of atf for the total capacity of the transmission. I have a 9 quart capacity system so do i use 9 ounces of lubgard platinum? I'm doing a drain and fill and that only use 5 quarts of transmission fluid so figured i need to use only 5 ounces of Platinum, Just trying to figure out the proper dose of Lubegard Platinum...Thanks.

Regardless of what you drain and add, if you need an ounce per quart and the transmission has 9 quarts........ Just dump the whole 10 oz bottle in. It won't hurt anything to have an extra ounce.

I wouldn't use Platinum, just use Red. MolaKule had some strong opinions against the makeup of the Platinum, and said Red was a better choice. I believe he said Platinum has a very heavy dose of friction modifiers, and that you couldn't really be sure what havoc it may wreak in your tranny until it was too late; Red is not friction-modified. I haven't had any issues with Red. Use 1 oz per total capacity.

MolaKule

Staff member
1) What problem are you trying to solve? 2) LubeGard Platinum has friction modifiers that could cause wet-clutch clutch slippage; 3) If you have evidence of or suspect varnishing, LubeGard Red would be the proper additive.

Originally Posted by charmer37
I have a question about how much Lubegard Platinum i need to use
For best results: 0.

I use the red on every transmission that I have, problems or not. The Platinum is supposed to be a conversion fluid that turns regular atf into highly friction modified fluid. If you suspect heavy varnishing you can overdose the red at 2oz per quart of fluid.

Would Luibegard Red help protect newer transmissions that use Mercon LV / Dexron VI? I know Lubegard claims Red is compatible. I just wanted to know if it was worthwhile to add. One application has 87k miles and I wanted some extra protection. The other 2 applications have under 20k miles.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Would Luibegard Red help protect newer transmissions that use Mercon LV / Dexron VI? I know Lubegard claims Red is compatible. I just wanted to know if it was worthwhile to add. One application has 87k miles and I wanted some extra protection. The other 2 applications have under 20k miles.
IMO it is worthwhile to add, has a huge following, and is used by a lot of transmission shops. Opinions vary on using any kind of an additive though. So do your homework and base your decision on that.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Lubegard Red AFAIK is the only transmission additive to have ever been "certified"/recommended by OEMs, so you can use it with confidence. They talk about it on the product webpage.
I decided to tool around their site and I saw their proof of their "OEM". It was a circa 1993 SAAB TSB ! lol LOL

Originally Posted by CARS magazine from 2009
When ILI developed its patented LXE® (Liquid Wax Ester) Technology and began packaging it in its currently world renowned LUBEGARD branded products it took the transmission rebuild industry by storm due to its ability to dramatically reduce comebacks. LUBEGARD particularly its ATF Protectant became the #1 used product by the transmission industry and automobile original equipment manufacturers (OEM's) took notice. Now over 20 years have passed and LUBEGARD ATF Protectant itself is now Used, Endorsed, Designated and Approved by eight OEM's! Based in Seattle, Washington, ILI is a leading manufacturer of unique chemistries and related products for the automotive, industrial, and various other chemical markets. Currently holding more than 100 U.S. and foreign patents.
I agree they could be more open about which OEMs have approved it, but it's much greater than just SAAB from 1993.