Lubegard in a GM transfer case?

I have a 2017 Chevrolet 3500HD with an electronic shift, chain driven transfer case. I was thinking about adding a couple ounces of Lubegard Platinum to my transfer case on the next fluid change. The transfer case calls for Dexron VI. Is there any reason to not add Lubegard Platinum to the transfer case?

Originally Posted by BlakeB
I have a 2017 Chevrolet 3500HD with an electronic shift, chain driven transfer case. I was thinking about adding a couple ounces of Lubegard Platinum to my transfer case on the next fluid change. The transfer case calls for Dexron VI. Is there any reason to not add Lubegard Platinum to the transfer case?

https://www.redlineoil.com/d6-atf
Try this instead.

Originally Posted by dogememe
why do you want to do this?

I am hoping to prevent a bit of chain/bearing wear. The magnet on these transfer cases is pretty loaded when you change the fluid. I know a few people that use 5w30 or 0w20 engine oil in these transfer cases and they say they don't get near as much metal on the magnet between changes using engine oil vs ATF. I'm still under powertrain warranty so I'm staying with Dex VI for now.
This was my drain plug magnet when I changed the factory fill at ~16k miles. I have about 7k miles on the current fill of Dex VI. I thought I might dump it again fairly soon and hopefully flush the majority of the remaining break-in wear out.

[Linked Image]

I don't by any means think that Dex VI is killing my transfer case. I was just curious if adding some Lubegard might offer some additional protection over ATF alone.

I have a 2000 astro awd, I know differrent transfer.
Factory from whar I under stand was dextronIII,
I got van from uncle with 200k, dumped transfer at first oil change.
Dark, burn, nasty. Filled with ST atf, ran 100miles, drained and filled,
Did a 50 and 250 flush with valvoline tcase (gm aproved auto-trak).
Still gots the low speed bind like feel, I believe it is the lock diffs, what would you guys say?
sorry I know off topic...
I am with Marco620, if atf is spec and a affordable aft opt is available every oci or two would be a nice option.
In the astro since the autotrak fluid didnt improve my low speed I am debating on going back to atf.
If I dump atf this friday I will be dumping it every oci.

-harvey

Originally Posted by JR
I have a 2000 astro awd, I know differrent transfer.
Factory from whar I under stand was dextronIII,
I got van from uncle with 200k, dumped transfer at first oil change.
Dark, burn, nasty. Filled with ST atf, ran 100miles, drained and filled,
Did a 50 and 250 flush with valvoline tcase (gm aproved auto-trak).
Still gots the low speed bind like feel, I believe it is the lock diffs, what would you guys say?
sorry I know off topic...
I am with Marco620, if atf is spec and a affordable aft opt is available every oci or two would be a nice option.
In the astro since the autotrak fluid didnt improve my low speed I am debating on going back to atf.
If I dump atf this friday I will be dumping it every oci.

-harvey

I once compared the spec sheets on the Valvoline Tcase fluid and Maxlife, I'm pretty sure the Tcase fluid is just Maxlife in a different bottle. Maxlife is also listed as AutoTrak II compatible.
I think I'd be tempted to put about 1/2 a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and fill it the rest of the way with ATF and see what happened.

The last Dexron 3 transfer case I serviced was an 04 2500HD Sierra with the floor shifter, it had AutoTrak II in it and I refilled it with a TES-295 clone(Chevron Delo Syn ATF HD). The AutoTrak II was getting pretty black, it had been in there for ~50k miles. An independent shop put the AutoTrak II in when the transfer case was replaced after the original transfer case developed a pinhole leak and destroyed itself due to the all too common pump rub issue.

I'd call them and ask. Red might be the one they recommend. Subscribed to find out what they suggest.

Originally Posted by BlakeB

I don't see the point in using a fluid conversion additive if you plan on using the recommended lubricant.

Just a question or two:

1) After all this time has anyone ever cataloged the collected shavings on a magnetic plug or pictured them as various spark plugs would be?

Those shavings are not the soft, black mud so often seen.

2) If part-to-part contact made that metal (I realize the magnetic fields and structure of the particles themselves made the pointy shapes we see in the picture) then maybe a "thicker" lube is required?

3) Also, wouldn't vehicle makers have/share knowledge (admit fault?) on drain plug catchings?

ATP AT-202

I found this, which i think is similar to Lubegard and claims to be for all automatic transmissions and 4x4 transfer cases. I have not called Lubegard yet, but I’ll update here if I do.

I emailed Lubegard and received this response. I will be adding Lubegard Platinum to my transfer case on the next fluid change.
E25557C2-12FD-448D-8D9A-E33142A6679E.jpeg

Originally Posted by dogememe
why do you want to do this?

I am hoping to prevent a bit of chain/bearing wear. The magnet on these transfer cases is pretty loaded when you change the fluid. I know a few people that use 5w30 or 0w20 engine oil in these transfer cases and they say they don't get near as much metal on the magnet between changes using engine oil vs ATF. I'm still under powertrain warranty so I'm staying with Dex VI for now.
This was my drain plug magnet when I changed the factory fill at ~16k miles. I have about 7k miles on the current fill of Dex VI. I thought I might dump it again fairly soon and hopefully flush the majority of the remaining break-in wear out.

[Linked Image]

I don't by any means think that Dex VI is killing my transfer case. I was just curious if adding some Lubegard might offer some additional protection over ATF alone.
This is pretty normal for the first transfer case change in the GM’s. Your next change will look nothing like this. I wouldn’t worry about it at all...unless of course your next fluid change looks like that, but it won’t.

Any updates on this ? … going to do my 1st Jeep driveline dump & fill soon … and Tahoe too …

Wait, those shreds look like Elvis! I believe what you have is a Magna Power Train transfer case and yes they shed enough metal to look spooky. Dex 6 is the correct lubricant. Can Lube Guard scientifically show it helps?

Any updates on this ? … going to do my 1st Jeep driveline dump & fill soon … and Tahoe too …
I haven’t changed it since I did the first service, I think I’ve been around 9,000 miles since I serviced it for the first time about a year ago. I am still planning to do a service and put 1 oz per quart of Lubegard Platinum along with Full Synthetic Dexron VI. I’m not sure how much longer I’ll run the current fill in my 2017, I’m thinking at least until my next oil change, which is around 4,000 miles out. I could also get bored and decide to change it one day before then, if I do I’ll post it.

My dads 2016 is almost due for an oil change and has close to 15k miles on the transfer case fluid, so I think I’ll drain it again when I do an oil change and see how it looks at ~60k miles with ~15k miles on the fluid. It was changed for the first time with around 46K miles, if I recall correctly. I will most likely put Lubegard in his transfer case as well. I’m curious to see how much metal is on the magnet on the 2016, it was pretty loaded when I changed it for the first time.
Wait, those shreds look like Elvis! I believe what you have is a Magna Power Train transfer case and yes they shed enough metal to look spooky. Dex 6 is the correct lubricant. Can Lube Guard scientifically show it helps?
I figure that it might help a small amount. Even if it doesn’t improve the wear rate of the transfer case, I don’t think it will hurt anything.

I haven’t changed it since I did the first service, I think I’ve been around 9,000 miles since I serviced it for the first time about a year ago. I am still planning to do a service and put 1 oz per quart of Lubegard Platinum along with Full Synthetic Dexron VI. I’m not sure how much longer I’ll run the current fill in my 2017, I’m thinking at least until my next oil change, which is around 4,000 miles out. I could also get bored and decide to change it one day before then, if I do I’ll post it.

My dads 2016 is almost due for an oil change and has close to 15k miles on the transfer case fluid, so I think I’ll drain it again when I do an oil change and see how it looks at ~60k miles with ~15k miles on the fluid. It was changed for the first time with around 46K miles, if I recall correctly. I will most likely put Lubegard in his transfer case as well. I’m curious to see how much metal is on the magnet on the 2016, it was pretty loaded when I changed it for the first time.

I figure that it might help a small amount. Even if it doesn’t improve the wear rate of the transfer case, I don’t think it will hurt anything.
Very curious to see your results - - - I use a lot of lubegard products in our cars.
Platinum is some good stuff.

I have used Lubegard Gear Protectant mixed in with both my JeepCommander transfer case, as well as my previous Tahoe Z71 transfer case for thousands of miles and many years with no issues and fluid looks good when changing

Back