LSPI and Euro engines, any low-Ca high-Mg C3 oils?

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Not always. VW recommendation for '17 GTI is 87 octane.

If a German car fan bought one, he'd probably run premium out of habit.
wink.gif
If I bought one, I wouldn't be even checking the recommendations, and just assumed premium from the start.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I still believe that LSPI would be a non-issue if the use of premium fuel was mandated for these high compression, GDI, turbocharged engines, its stupid to even try and run this combo on junk, 87 octane fuel!
+1
.... and probably CAFE-intended computer settings/tunes etc.
So much for the API/SAE hooh hahs on oil reformulations.
Is that not marketing-biased ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: drtyler
Not always. VW recommendation for '17 GTI is 87 octane.

If a German car fan bought one, he'd probably run premium out of habit.
wink.gif
If I bought one, I wouldn't be even checking the recommendations, and just assumed premium from the start.

VW recommends 87 to be more competitive with Toyota and Honda. It is VW's new strategy: get soccer mom from suburbia to abandon Toyota RAV4 and moves to VW Tiguan. In few years when those people start having issues that are kind of confined to Euro vehicles they will abandon VW while traditional buyers of VW also left.
I just cannot understand why would anyone run 87 in turbo engine or 0W20 oils. But, as long as there is sheep there will be wool to collect.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Also yes, EU engines have more lean burn which produces more NOx which has higher limits in EU.

When a model is sold in both the EU and USA, is engine software different? Of course this question assumes the same model is the same model; there may be significant, physical, differences beyond software. Do we know?

I just cannot understand why would anyone run 87 in turbo engine or 0W20 oils. But, as long as there is sheep there will be wool to collect.

At least there are those of us who are a little more skeptical.

Originally Posted By: George Bynum
Also yes, EU engines have more lean burn which produces more NOx which has higher limits in EU.

When a model is sold in both the EU and USA, is engine software different? Of course this question assumes the same model is the same model; there may be significant, physical, differences beyond software. Do we know?

VW EA888 in Europe has direct and port injection while in the U.S. is only direct. Also, in the US it is stratified burn.

VW EA888 in Europe has direct and port injection while in the U.S. is only direct. Also, in the US it is stratified burn.

Only the 3rd gen EA888 (without the Budak cycle) was twin injection, similar to Toyota's D4-S system.

The US does not have stratified burn. It does not meet the NOx requirement. All forced induction GDI motors VW/Audi produces do not have the 2nd mode, aka Stratified burn, what the "S" in FSI used to mean, including Europe.

Originally Posted By: nap
Originally Posted By: zeng
C3's I come across are high Ca with minimal Mg.
LSPI as high Ca related in oil is American (marketing) way of sorting out a non-issue in (Euro) LSPI, IMHO.

I believe the Europeans don't have CAFE and thus don't have much incentives to push the engines regime into LSPI.

CAFE is just fuel economy average. That's what CAFE stands for, Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

Europe has their EU emissions requirement. They do have a Corporate Average Emissions requirement, which was why Aston Martin sold rebodied Toyota iQ's as the Aston Martin Cygnet.

1024px-Aston_Martin_Cygnet_%2882%29.JPG

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Only the 3rd gen EA888 (without the Budak cycle) was twin injection, similar to Toyota's D4-S system.

The US does not have stratified burn. It does not meet the NOx requirement. All forced induction GDI motors VW/Audi produces do not have the 2nd mode, aka Stratified burn, what the "S" in FSI used to mean, including Europe.

Wait, I thought Europe is lean and the US is stratified? Obviously I made mistake.

The fuel in Spain and I guess in European Union is
Standard 95 octane.
Premium 98 octane.

Diesel
Cetane index 51 standard, 55 premium, 10 ppm sulphur

Those low octane values remember me the the 80's Which really surprised me

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Amenhotep
Standard 95 octane.
Premium 98 octane.

Diesel

Europe uses a different metric (RON only) to determine octane rating, while the united states uses RON+MON average, resulting in an average 5 point increase for european octane ratings. The octanes you listed would be 93 and 90 in the U.S., which are typical here (although we do have 87 octane... which would be approximately 92 in europe).

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: Amenhotep
Standard 95 octane.
Premium 98 octane.

Diesel

Europe uses a different metric (RON only) to determine octane rating, while the united states uses RON+MON average, resulting in an average 5 point increase for european octane ratings. The octanes you listed would be 93 and 90 in the U.S., which are typical here (although we do have 87 octane... which would be approximately 92 in europe).

Thanks

todays DI allows the use of lower octane fuels, turbo or na. i buy nothing but manual trannied vehicles + shift as i see fit. no load on the flat i pull out in 2nd skipshifting 2-4-6 better mpgs, in needed you can hold a gear as long as YOU want, the beauty of a manual tranny!! surely would like to see both injection systems in VW aka VAG cars in USA, 200,000 trouble free 1.8T 2001 jetta + now a 2001 TT 225Q roadster 1.8T

very old but always something to learn + when i searched stratified i LEARNED!! seen it years ago but a lot more specific info relating to its function + variables by manufacturer!!

Back