Low bridge

How could that happen? All railroad structures are built to height and width standards?

How could that happen? All railroad structures are built to height and width standards?
I wondered the same thing. Just like highway bridges and overpasses, isn't that clearance precisely known and cataloged? It must have been a dispatch mistake to allow those cars on that route.

This happened very near where I work. The reason for this one is obvious:

I like the accordion type roof as it folds on itself.

But I agree, don't see how this happened (well, I do, it was human error). Not like it is a new bridge and those cars have been in use for quite a long time.

Seems this was the second go round, the video starts with a car already having the roof ripped off, so they had backed the train up and had another run at it.

Wow!!!!!!! My model train (nut) buddies will love this! My dad was a driver for Roadway and at least once got a semi trailer wedged in an overpass in Chicago. I think deflating the tires remedied it. On a tour bus near Mackinac Bridge our driver ripped the roof mount air conditioner off on a low overpass. Knock on wood three times!

Considering tgat a train can take miles to stop I hope he did not.
not being one myself, but having known a couple engineers (the guys that drive the trains, not the guys who design stuff)....they were probably fired...
they should have known the heights of their cars, and that there was a "low bridge" on that section of line.
I'd imagine the dispatcher will be in trouble as well. they definitely should have known there was a low bridge, and the height of the cars..

The video really doesn't show the inception but most likely....

Something protruding from the bridge caught the top of one and played can opener

There was a loose top flapping on a car- it caught and created a chain reaction

Nice that somebody caught it on their camera phone.
The can-opener bridge has a cousin :)

Back