Lots of metal in 2016 Charger 3.6L engine oil filter

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I did the oil change in my BIL's Charger SXT. It was the factory fill at 9,500 miles.

There was no metal in the filter. If I was in your position I would be concerned.

Yeah, something doesn't sound right.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Mobil oil is aweful thin....maybe use a thicker oil

Are you saying their grade designations are incorrect or faulty?

Re: the 3.6l, seems to have a good reputation, but I have seen a cylinder head changed out on a 2018 V6 Durango at 20K miles.
Older 3.6L have an extended warranty on one of the cylinder heads.
I work at a Dodge store.

I've not seen metal in either of my pentastar's. Gritty black carbon gunk yes, but no metal. I also switched to Castrol 0w40 in them this last change.

Originally Posted by wwillson
I changed the oil in our 2016 Charger with the 3.6L Pentastar yesterday. This run was 9,000 miles and 10 months with M1 0w-30 AFE.

This filter run for 9,000 miles and 48,000 miles on the car, had the most metal I've ever seen in a filter, like 10 time more than I've ever seen ...

And now what ... ?

So you cut open the filter, and see more metal than expected. What is the next step? Take it to a dealer ? Change oil brand / viscosity ? Pro-actively tear down the engine and inspect ?

That is a tough spot to be in ...

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Did the engine consume any oil over the 10 months?

No, none

Interestingly, today is overcast and gray. I took the filter paper outside to see how much metal flake I could see and found that while I could see some, the flakes are far less visible without bright sunlight. I would say maybe 10% are visible on a gray day vs a bright sunny day. The sun makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
It may be a lifter issue. Some of them have it where the roller bearings fail, the roller on the rocker gets stuck and is slowly being ground down by the cam.
But that usually is accompanied by loud lifter ticking noises.

This scares me, it does have a slight tick. Ugh. I will pay close attention.

I just drove about five miles and listened to it idle when I got home. No ticking at all, except the fuel injectors, which is good. It's on cold start that I hear the ticking. Time will tell.

Mine is still low mileage but I can say I don't see anything in the filter. I did a run on Synthetic and experienced noiser on cold starts and when shifting. I went back to Daily Protection 5w20 and she is so quiet I hit the key to start it after idling while waiting for the furniture to come out warehouse and get loaded in van.

2018 Grand Caravan

Finally got around to taking this video in the bright sun. I purposely filmed with the shadow of the camera visible so you can see that without the bright sun, you can't see the metal flakes.

It may be a lifter issue. Some of them have it where the roller bearings fail, the roller on the rocker gets stuck and is slowly being ground down by the cam.

this happened to my neighbors 3.6 with 120k

Originally Posted by wwillson

This scares me, it does have a slight tick. Ugh. I will pay close attention.

FWIW - We have 7 2015&2016 Caravans in the fleet with the 3.6L. So far 2 have had new camshafts under warranty at less than 40,000 miles, it starts as a ticking then gets very loud. The work orders from the dealer stated "found loose rockers caused camshaft failure"

I don't see too many shiny metal flakes in the oil filter, but I'm pretty sure it's more than normal. You may have noticed the problem very early on, so the lifters don't tick all the time and don't produce too much wear metals yet.

I think the next step is documenting this with your dealer. Show them the oil filter media, try to capture the metal flakes on some pictures too.
Next oil change let your dealer do it with specific instructions to examine the drained oil for metal flakes.

To put your mind at ease (or freak you out depending on results), do a UOA on your next oil change and see what the wear metal count is. If it’s up, pull the valve covers and check for excess cam wear. If not, rest easy. I’ve done this with used cars I bought and with cars with TSBs that a problem will result in excess wear metals. It costs about $30 but my peace of mind is worth it. Also, try to stick to 5000 mile oil changes. I don’t know a single pro mechanic that would consider 10000 mi a correct interval.

To put your mind at ease (or freak you out depending on results), do a UOA on your next oil change and see what the wear metal count is. If it’s up, pull the valve covers and check for excess cam wear. If not, rest easy. I’ve done this with used cars I bought and with cars with TSBs that a problem will result in excess wear metals. It costs about $30 but my peace of mind is worth it. Also, try to stick to 5000 mile oil changes. I don’t know a single pro mechanic that would consider 10000 mi a correct interval.
This is a 4 year old thread. No real point in giving @wwillson your advice four years later.

The Charger has had several UOAs since then. It’s doing fine.

Back