Looking for Purolator Tech oil filter pics.

Is anyone currently running a TECH filter on anything they have or seen them available?

I was running filter searches on amazon/ebay etc. and I found they sell them in cases of 12 for not a bad price and I would be interested to try them out.

Either looking for pics here or I might buy a few and run 2 and cut open a new one to see what the media is like and then cut the used ones open later.

I have seen some purolators cut open lately and seems they might be improving or at least tightening the pleats together etc.

I'm gonna try to get away from the Motorcrafts 820s because they have been problematic for awhile.

I have some pro-selects etc right now but I'd like to get away from the combo valve.

I know there is a napa filter sale coming up soon so I will look into that as well.

Just nice to have options. I'm always looking for different filter options.

The Tech is just a classic that is sold to jobbers, and the Tech line may be consolidated.

There is no reason to use a Tech over a red can.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
I'm gonna try to get away from the Motorcrafts 820s because they have been problematic for awhile.

Motorcrafts are made by Purolator. Both have had some issues. The Purolator Tech might be OK, but most likely the same basic media as the base Purolator filter.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Black_Thunder

Motorcrafts are made by Purolator. Both have had some issues. The Purolator Tech might be OK, but most likely the same basic media as the base Purolator filter.

yes I'm aware of this thats why I wanted to see what the inside of the TECH's looked like.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Sorry I cannot help you kind sir

But you already did a C&P.
I've done one as well.

In all fairness, that was almost 3 years ago, and probably 200 filters ago for him.

Right! At least 200..
crazy2.gif

Here's what I know. As Tech name implies, Puro jobber tier filter line. The one FordBronco posted was only few months ago, I'd have reason to expect they are much different now. According to Puro either a tad below or similar to retail Red classic line. There was also a Puro made ProTec filter posted by 53' here around same time as last Tech filter. Again, expect it similar to or same as topic.

That said, in my observation if you're looking for an endorsement of purchase of topic filter, generally speaking unlikely to find it this subforum.

Older thread, but I just picked up a case of 12 of these in TL14612 flavor off the fleaBay for just under $34 shipped for my Nissans.

I had been running OEM nissan, supertech or Napa filters on my 2019 Pathfinder, 2015 Versa (and the previous 2016 Quest). Wally never has the supertechs in stock these days and $8-10 for what you get w/ OEM or Napa is annoying given my standard 3-4K mile oil change intervals on my nissans. The media can is ridiculously small in the Napa/carquest variety as well. I actually like the OEM/dealer Nissan filters construction wise, but they're not that great for what they want for them these days.

I'll post up a cut-open pic of a TL14612 after an OCI. Might be awhile though!

Just got my box-o-purolator tech filters today. They look and feel pretty darn good for the price and I guess it goes to show you, just because one particular part # filter is made in China, doesn't mean all of them are. These are US made. I can tell just by looking down the center tube the media can is almost twice as tall as what's in a Napa gold.

lv7wp36l.jpg

ZAwQwYbl.jpg

4IHkSLUl.jpg

How much was the case ?

I believe someone cut open one of these filters and it looked quite good actually.

Reactions: JTK
Ive been using them on my wifes Mazda SkyActive engine for years now. Purchased a case for some ridiculous low price.
As far as "substance" they are a nice heavy filter. Funny but I never cut one open. Maybe I will someday, I bought a case of twelve and being my wife works from home the car gets little mileage, 2 times a year oil changes.
My concern is these filters are now getting older and still have 5 left ..

Anyway, I would buy them again. I think I paid something like less then $2 each by the case a couple years back... I forgot but its not just about the price, I like the heavy OEM "feel" of the filter. How ironic, JTK has the same model oil filter.
IMG_4179.jpeg

Last edited:
Paid $34 and change shipped for 12.
Curious what the date code is on these? Perhaps you could post a pic, or just list a code or two. As speculated likely very close to Puro Red. Not long ago I used a cousin to TL, the P1 PL14612 on a Rogue for ~5k miles, looked fine. On Nissans I normally use the 14610/7317, imagine TL being a jobber filter, consolidated to the shorty 14612. Never seen a Nissan where longer filter wouldn't fit.

As for mention of China, never seen 'Purolator labeled spin on' filter with that coo. Seen some with similar looking baseplate and it's been speculated, but cut open show a coil compression spring. Afaik, Puro never used coil compression spring.

Curious what the date code is on these? Perhaps you could post a pic, or just list a code or two. As speculated likely very close to Puro Red. Not long ago I used a cousin to TL, the P1 PL14612 on a Rogue for ~5k miles, looked fine. On Nissans I normally use the 14610/7317, imagine TL being a jobber filter, consolidated to the shorty 14612. Never seen a Nissan where longer filter wouldn't fit.

As for mention of China, never seen 'Purolator labeled spin on' filter with that coo. Seen some with similar looking baseplate and it's been speculated, but cut open show a coil compression spring. Afaik, Puro never used coil compression spring.
I saw one actually. Was a 10241 filter came off a 2019 Fusion 4cyl. Baseplate had holes instead of rectangular holes. Made in China. I crushed it in the filter crusher and it was a Puro “tech” filter

Back