Looking at the sun.( air filter test)

Direct sunlight is a good way to check for pinholes in any medium. Those holes are pretty bad and would have been letting dust through. Small area etc etc, but they still let dust through and probably most of it sand. More than one would think since the rest looks clogged.Might be good to check new filters in the sun especially from places where customers can play with them. Might be good to put in a restriction gauge in that use.

Living in the desert is dusty hence the air filter gets clogged faster. Get an off road air filter kit that has the air intake at the roof level..

Is your intake sucking air out of a dusty area? Or the wheel well has some broken plastic letting dusty air into the intake? I assume you're not tailgating people down gravel roads! Maybe go tractor style with a centrifugal filter housing sticking out of the fender!

Originally Posted by wemay
Sunlight test is useless and non-scientific. K&N allow sunlight through because the oil is transparent enough to allow it to happen.
Are you serious?

Are folks not understanding the basics of how a K&N works? Cotton gauze medium. Lets sunlight through. Spray it with an oil that acts as a filter to trap particles. Still see sunlight through b/c oil isn't opaque. ? If you were running a K&N with no oil, yes, that would suck. hahahahaha

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by rob1715
If it's really dirty only after 7k miles, isn't that good? Means collecting lots of dirt.

Ya but replacing a filter 2x a year
crazy2.gif

If that's what it takes, then yes.

" The sun was directly behind the filter. Unable to pass light. "

I also use this method . Especially for the '13 FIT . Worst engine air filter for getting soiled of all cars owned . Change engine filter every 12 > 18 months . Always replace in late spring when there's no road salt dust and dirt on roads .

Last edited:
Sunlight test is useless and non-scientific. K&N allow sunlight through because the oil is transparent enough to allow it to happen.

It's not the red dyed oil that does it.

It's due to the cotton gauze construction, where due to random layering of the gauze material, you occasionally get gaps in the layered material

It's not the red dyed oil that does it.

It's due to the cotton gauze construction, where due to random layering of the gauze material, you occasionally get gaps in the layered material

I throw filters out in San Antonio once a year. About 12-15k miles.

I guess stock up and throw them out for your vehicle every six months.

I have had good luck with house brand filters from amazon, they fit well.

Mine as well do the cabin filter 2x per year as well.

If your air is that dusty, you should replace the air filter as often as necessary, even if it seems excessive. You might get some extra use from a filter by tapping it upside down or vacuuming from the dirty side. Regardless, any additional cost for maintenance will be worth it because you won't have to rebuild/replace the engine.

Keep doing what you are doing and that is keep changing your air filter, its doing its job well.
I would never use a K&N they dont clog because they are not as efficient/dense and and let dirt through. Replacable filters are great, takes minutes to replace.
K&N on a race track maybe (where engines are not meant to last before rebuilding) but that's it.

Back