asasa11

Looking at the sun.( air filter test)

Messages
21,106
Location
Apple Valley, California
Thread starter
I installed this fram air filter on 9-14-19. Roughly 8 months later it is this plugged! I do not know the exact milage but around 7k. The sun was directly behind the filter. Unable to pass light.

IMG_20200629_173710.jpg
 
Messages
1,630
Location
Cincinnati, USA
Seems more like a matter of media type and pleat density. Then again, if I took a filter out with 7K on it, I'd go ahead and put a new one in.
 
Messages
3,075
Location
Parts Unknown
Originally Posted by Chris142
I installed this fram air filter on 9-14-19. Roughly 8 months later it is this plugged! I do not know the exact milage but around 7k. The sun was directly behind the filter. Unable to pass light.
If you look at the 8th full pleat from the right, you see an area, that appears to have 4 pin holes in it. Is that a damaged filter? the sunlight test is for K&N cotton gauze filters, showing how well it can let dirt through
 
Messages
21,106
Location
Apple Valley, California
Thread starter
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Chris142
I installed this fram air filter on 9-14-19. Roughly 8 months later it is this plugged! I do not know the exact milage but around 7k. The sun was directly behind the filter. Unable to pass light.
If you look at the 8th full pleat from the right, you see an area, that appears to have 4 pin holes in it. Is that a damaged filter?
Looks like something went through it.
 
Messages
1,325
Location
texas
Did the car run different before and after changing it. I've seen filters look really bad but negligible performance or gas mileage difference. Next time put a K&N in there. The never plug and last for years. most likely longer than your engine will :P
 
Messages
21,106
Location
Apple Valley, California
Thread starter
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Did the car run different before and after changing it. I've seen filters look really bad but negligible performance or gas mileage difference. Next time put a K&N in there. The never plug and last for years. most likely longer than your engine will :P
I have not driven it tonight but last time it made a huge difference
 
Messages
8,297
Location
Virginia
Well you do live on the area where Thunderdome was filmed LOL Seriously in your area and others like it in the southwest US... Far, far, far more dust in the air there versus the Eastern US.
 
Messages
12,496
Location
Kendall, FL
Sunlight test is useless and non-scientific. K&N allow sunlight through because the oil is transparent enough to allow it to happen.
 
Messages
656
Location
Richmond, VA area
Originally Posted by wemay
Sunlight test is useless and non-scientific. K&N allow sunlight through because the oil is transparent enough to allow it to happen.
Thank you. K&N leTS suNLIght ThroUGH so IT doesN'T WOrk hahahhaha
 
Messages
10,425
Location
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Might be time to tie some old pantyhose or cheesecloth over your air inlet opening? That actually looks black, like you've been following a chipped "brodozer" diesel pickup around!
 
Top