Long baldwin filter for new GMC 1500 with 6.2 gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new GMC Denali 1500 truck with the 6.2 motor. I would like to use a long baldwin filter. Oil will be M1 5w-30 with OCI at 7500-10k miles.

From what I understand the same filter that fit the 6.0 gas motors will fit the 6.2.

Here is a list of Filters from LS1.com that should fit this motor:

L=long filter
Quote:

AC Delco PF44
AC Delco PF58 (L)
Mobil 1 M1-107
Mobil 1 M1-206 (L)
Fram PH 3506
Fram PH 3675 (L)
Hard Driver HD08 (L)
Purolator L24007 (slightly larger)
Purolator L14006
Purolator L20123 (L)
PureOne PL20123 (L)
Motorcraft FL-331 (L)
NAPA 1045 (L)
WIX 51045 (L)
Amsoil ASF 30 (L)
Deutsch 377

I was looking at the Baldwin B30:

Descriptions : Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Fits : GM Automotive
Replaces : GMC 25010324
Thread : 13/16-16
O.D. : 3 (76.2)
Length : 5 1/8 (130.2)
I.Gskt : G449-B

It matched a few of the above long filters, but not all of them.

How can I be sure that this filter will work on my truck before I buy 6 of them?

TIA!

What you also should do is cross all those numbers at the Wix filter web site and find the one with the lowest micron rating.

A bigger filter will do you no good if it has a higher micron rating that the factory filter- thus letting more dirt through.

Quote:

How can I be sure that this filter will work on my truck before I buy 6 of them?

Gasket and thread. You still have an in block bypass valve...so ..as long as you meet those two requirements ..and have the room ...they'll "work".

Quote:

What you also should do is cross all those numbers at the Wix filter web site and find the one with the lowest micron rating.

A bigger filter will do you no good if it has a higher micron rating that the factory filter- thus letting more dirt through.

Thanks for the great info. Some of the longer filters do have a higher micron rating on the wix site.

Quote:

Quote:

Gasket and thread. You still have an in block bypass valve...so ..as long as you meet those two requirements ..and have the room ...they'll "work".

Looks like the stock filter crosses over to a wix filter with a 22X1.5 MM thread.

Most of the larger filters in the list about cross over to a filter with a 13/16-16 thread. So it appears that most of those will not work. (metic vs standard thread)

A few of your numbers are off somehow. One has a 7/8-14 thread. One is for the transitional Chrysler metric thread 20x1.5mm ..the rest are 13/16-16

Here's a longer M22x1.5 filters that Donaldson has xref'd to Wix

..a hair difference in gasket..bypass is a tick or two higher too. The nominal single pass rating is better, but they don't give the 2/75 numbers. This would appear (unless I'm having some "episode"
shocked.gif
) to work for the Ford Modular crowd too. Same thread ..same gasket
confused.gif
(yes, I may be having an episode - cue suspense music
shocked.gif
)

Part Number: 51592
UPC Number: 765809515925
Principal Application: Cummins, Komatsu, Onan Engines
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.214
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 18-20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 250
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 16

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
15614 2.834 2.462 0.255

interesting...that ACDelco pf44 is the same filter spec'd for my 4 cyl; it's been discontinued and now the pf46 is spec'd for all former pf44 apps but x-referencing either pf44 or pf46 should get you the same competing p/n's

I can get 6 of the AC UPF44 for $56 shipped or maybe I should just get the M1 filter from the store for that price.

Todays thought is to go with the M1-206, its a larger filter and I believe it goes down to 10 micron.

Quote:

I can get 6 of the AC UPF44 for $56 shipped or maybe I should just get the M1 filter from the store for that price.

Todays thought is to go with the M1-206, its a larger filter and I believe it goes down to 10 micron.

Yes ..but a UPF44 has a 13/16-16 thread ..and no bypass valve ..and you have a NEW 6.2 which takes a M22x1.5 thread ...or did I miss something?

confused.gif

yes, AC /gm still has the UPF 44, but not the PF 44. as to what the difference is, I don't know. I think one might be longer, or offer better filtration or something.

Gary, Thanks you are correct.

kokopelli, the UPF is close to the M1 filter, I hear they are both made by champion labs.

Actually the new 6.2L GM products take a different filter than the old GM's with the 6.0L. From the information I've gathered, Baldwin doesn't make a filter for the new 6.2L yet. If you're looking for a high performance oil filter for your truck, the Mobil 1, M1-113 is a great choice.

offtopic.gif
LOL, The_Champ! well, I have Ecore's around that I'll use for my next oil change, so relax. I like them becuase of their low-cost. They seem to do the job just as well as other filters, but sure don't cost as much.
offtopic.gif

Quote:

Actually the new 6.2L GM products take a different filter than the old GM's with the 6.0L. From the information I've gathered, Baldwin doesn't make a filter for the new 6.2L yet. If you're looking for a high performance oil filter for your truck, the Mobil 1, M1-113 is a great choice.

Baldwin
confused.gif

PART NUMBER: B160

Descriptions : Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Contains : Anti-Drainback Valve
20 PSID By-Pass Valve
Fits : Cadillac, GMC Light-Duty Trucks; VM Engines
Replaces : GMC 89017524; VM Engines 4115031
Thread : M22 x 1.5
O.D. : 3 (76.2)
Length : 3 1/2 (88.9)
I.Gskt : G449-B

..but I'll agree that the M1 number for this would be a wise choice. If Baldwin offered this filter in the HPG (high performance glass) ..then it would probably be a wash ..and the choice would probably be M1 due to price.

I'd, naturally, recommend the EAO47 for the finest in available filtration
grin.gif

Gary, you are correct in saying that the B160 has the same threading as the new filters on GM 6.2L, but that is not the correct filter listed by application. That filter would probably work, but it isnt a direct cross from the oem filter.

My mistake on the last post, I looked it up by application instead of crossing Champ to Baldwin. If crossed the B160 is right. Sorry about the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back