Linglong Crosswind M/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Piston_slap
Originally Posted by HangFire
So, no one here has actually tried them?

We don't have to. We know all that is worthy knowing.
My self, I drive on generic hot-caps. They have walnut size blisters on the sidewalls. Some day I may try Bandag.

It's good to have ambitions and goals.

Originally Posted by Rand
Edvw what advice would you have for all the truck and suv owners?

Must we all buy BMW and Mercedes since they brake better?

surely a 2 seater sports car would brake and handle faster for the 95% of the time they dont need a truck.

I see your arguments, and could agree with some but there is a "level" of performance which when met is "good enough".

Otherwise you might as well buy tires every 12 months since new is better than half worn?

Also different climates call for different tires, I'm not about to put summer tires on a jeep cherokee trailhawk in Ohio.

It gets below freezing 5-6 months out of the year here.

I do run winter tires for the worst of winter, 3-4 months mainly for ice. Which is much different from your conditions.

No, you do not need to buy BMW or Mercedes, but you buy what is best or among best available for vehicle you drive. Linglong is definitely far from that.
I would put summer tires on Jeep Cheeroke in ohio, of course unless you do off roading. Would you put Linglong A/T and go to wilderness with them? As far as I know Ohio summers are pretty warm, so not sure why you would not put summer tire in Ohio?
Then you put winter tires in winter. That is what actually people should do, especially in OH.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by edyvw
Yet again: that is one of the most ludicrous statements ever made on this site. It's nonsense on the level of "boomerang zinger hurricane raccoon laptop asphalt Andromeda horcrux".

Sure it is. Guy who drives Crown Vic and Cadillac is telling us what is ludicrous and what is not.

Are you attempting to stumble upon a POINT?

Point is, your argument is on point as quality of cars you drive.

Originally Posted by 555
Wet braking is where you will regret bad tires. 12 inches or less of a difference in stopping distance can still mean disaster or at the very least an insurance claim. My standard procedure for research, Go to Tire Rack, pick some tires from tests. Then read reviews and click "read all reviews" and then click "lowest consumer rated". Weed out and ignore the ones where people are angry about tires not lasting for 100,00 miles. Then make sure review is not for another tire(several Bridgestone tires have the Potenza moniker, from OE Subaru to high performance summer only models). See if there are patterns emerging in the reviews, squealing etc. See what negatives you can live with. Try to make an informed decision from there.

Exactly. Kumho Ecsta LX. As I said before, once you step on the brake in wet, prayer is always welcomed.
But hey, they looked brand new at 15k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Yet again: that is one of the most ludicrous statements ever made on this site. It's nonsense on the level of "boomerang zinger hurricane raccoon laptop asphalt Andromeda horcrux".

Sure it is. Guy who drives Crown Vic and Cadillac is telling us what is ludicrous and what is not.

Are you attempting to stumble upon a POINT?

Point is, your argument is on point as quality of cars you drive.

In other words: no, you are just trolling.

surely a 2 seater sports car would brake and handle faster for the 95% of the time they dont need a truck.

I see your arguments, and could agree with some but there is a "level" of performance which when met is "good enough".

Otherwise you might as well buy tires every 12 months since new is better than half worn?

Also different climates call for different tires, I'm not about to put summer tires on a jeep cherokee trailhawk in Ohio.

I do run winter tires for the worst of winter, 3-4 months mainly for ice. Which is much different from your conditions.

No, you do not need to buy BMW or Mercedes, but you buy what is best or among best available for vehicle you drive. Linglong is definitely far from that.
I would put summer tires on Jeep Cheeroke in ohio, of course unless you do off roading. Would you put Linglong A/T and go to wilderness with them? As far as I know Ohio summers are pretty warm, so not sure why you would not put summer tire in Ohio?
Then you put winter tires in winter. That is what actually people should do, especially in OH.

So, you must run R-compound summer tires in warm weather and replace them every 5000 miles...right?

I think there are reasonable compromises based on price/performance. But right now I agree that these Chinese brands just aren't worth it until they improve drastically.

There are plenty of bargain brands that I would trust before any of these Chinese brands. Maybe Falken (owned by Sumitomo) or even Primewell.

The cheapest tire for my Honda Pilot is about $ 100 CDN, and, yes it is a Chinese off brand tire. Generals or Falkens are $ 160 - 180 per tire. The equivalent brand name replacement, a Bridgestone, is around $ 200 per tire. Michelins run about $ 230 + per tire.

I get why consumers go cheap ... tires are expensive. But when one does some simple math, and that $ 400 difference in price between the cheapest Chinese tire and a brand name tire is broken down over say, 4 years of average tire life, it works out to $ 100 per YEAR more, or in car payment terms, only $ 1.92 more per week ... !

$ 1.92 A WEEK ... !!!

I'll pass on those LingLongs ...

I wish I got 4 years out of tires--only my truck does that and it's down to 5k/year now. The other two eat tires in a year or so, go figure, at 25k/year that happens.

I wish I could find the link--some time in the past I posted a link from a test on high/mid/low end tires. They tested wet braking performance new, and then shaved to 4/32's (or was it lower?). At the end of the test the cheapo Chinese tire, when new, bested the expensive Michelin's. No doubt the Chinese tire wouldn't have had the lifespan, but still. Wish I could find that link and see what the tread depth was.

I tried summer tires once and they were awful. No idea why but they had lousy wet traction, then I was sweating bullets as fall rolled around. Afterwards I realized that I don't drive hard enough to justify summer tires, not when all seasons work good enough, and can handle some light snow duty too.

Originally Posted by krzyss
Maybe you bought dry summer tires.
There are such animals.

Krzys

Nokian i3, was glad to get rid of those. Lousy traction in wet, they'd slip on wet paint--I know tires will do that, but I never had a problem with other sets (and still don't).

You are in Colorado and obviously are not aware of our customs in Ohio. Some of us run winter tires all year long because we just don't like to go through the hassle of taking them off in the Spring. We run whatever tire we want to on our rigs over here no matter what season it is. That's how we roll in Ohio

Originally Posted by xtell

You are in Colorado and obviously are not aware of our customs in Ohio. Some of us run winter tires all year long because we just don't like to go through the hassle of taking them off in the Spring. We run whatever tire we want to on our rigs over here no matter what season it is. That's how we roll in Ohio

Others must be envy of how you guys roll.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by xtell

Others must be envy of how you guys roll.

Don't know whether it's envy or disgust in how we roll. But, none the less we roll because you can tell just by looking; our State is round on the ends and hi in the middle.

Nuff said,

xtell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back