Linglong Crosswind M/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN

America has some ties with some pretty evil countries-get over that fact. I could care less where a product comes from. REALLY....I could care less.

I looked at a Chinese tire that said MADE IN P.R.C. on the sidewall ... wow, even the tire manufacturer is trying to hide the COO. WHY ?

Because more and more consumers DO CARE.

Cheers.

Where does rubber grow? Asia.

I have a LingLong Crosswind Eco Touring tire on my F150. It's the newest of them all, and thanks to having soft rubber, the nicest, too. No complaints.

Linglongs are okay, the only real issues I've had on my own trucks and several delivery trucks is the wet pavement traction deteriorates big time when they get about half worn. Seems like a lot of siping wears off. I will probably continue using them in some situations, but my 2wd Ranger is getting something else next time. I might consider the MTs for my 4x4 Ranger that gets driven a lot less...mud tires are bad at most things except mud anyway.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by edyvw
The most important thing when it comes to safety is tire, and yet people are willing to gamble head on their shoulders for $100.

I was waiting for this melodramatic comment. It's a standard (and biased) comment that normally appears on a thread like this. Some BITOGers just can't comprehend a good Chinese product...yep just can't fathom it.

Your comments aren't very useful since you didn't tell us if you have driven on a set or two of Ling long or any other of the more than 200+ brands of Chinese tires.

Meanwhile Car and Driver had some interesting comments about Ling long in their own test linked below:

"...Ling Long proves that a complete tire design involves more than just a tread pattern...

Consistently finishing last in all of the performance categories, the Ling Longs' dry autocross performance was so far behind the other tires' that we had to round its score up to zero to keep it from being negative."

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ke-on-the-michelin-ps2-comparison-tests/

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by CKN
Doesn't need a major brand. Just needs to look else where. MileStar makes a highly rated (132/ 4-1/2 stars on a major Internet tire seller site) A/T called the Patagonia.

You are right tho-he should be looking at an A/T tire.

They do have the same named tire in an M/T designation-and it's got 157 /4-1/2 star reviews.

One review-
After installing them on my truck, i took it out for a test drive. For having such large open tread blocks, the tires are surprisingly quietly, not only at 40 MPH, but also at highway speeds of 70 MPH.

This brand (MileStar) is one of the very few good Chinese brands.

Yeah the MileStar Patagonia is supposed to be an awesome tire, a local Jeep club I follow online runs them like crazy.

Milestar is not a Chinese brand. The brand is American owned and the company outsources manufacturing. I believe one of their manufacturers is Cheng Shin Rubber from Taiwan, which is actually a very respected tire company. I was skeptical when I saw Cheng Shin bicycle tires, but most of the shops selling them were saying they were a respectable brand. I think Cheng Shin makes the Maxxis brand that they sell themselves. There's also Nanyang, which is also from Taiwan. And recently I saw some Federal tires.

I think it's important to understand that a lot of the high quality manufacturing that's done in China is by Taiwanese companies. They don't put up with poor quality manufacturing or poor QC.

Originally Posted by Cressida
Originally Posted by CKN
The most important thing when it comes to safety is tire, and yet people are willing to gamble head on their shoulders for $100.

I was waiting for this melodramatic comment. It's a standard (and biased) comment that normally appears on a thread like this. Some BITOGers just can't comprehend a good Chinese product...yep just can't fathom it.

Your comments aren't very useful since you didn't tell us if you have driven on a set or two of Ling long or any other of the more than 200+ brands of Chinese tires.

Meanwhile Car and Driver had some interesting comments about Ling long in their own test linked below:

"...Ling Long proves that a complete tire design involves more than just a tread pattern...

Consistently finishing last in all of the performance categories, the Ling Longs' dry autocross performance was so far behind the other tires' that we had to round its score up to zero to keep it from being negative."

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ke-on-the-michelin-ps2-comparison-tests/

Did they say anything about the Michelin dry rot issue? OR-the Defenders seemingly not living up to their millage claims? BTW-they were testing summer tires-not the type of tires the OP was inquiring about. Is that the best you can do?

Last edited:
Did they say anything about the Michelin dry rot issue? OR-the Defenders seemingly not living up to their millage claims? BTW-they were testing summer tires-not the type of tires the OP was inquiring about. Is that the best you can do?

What dry rot issue? I drive on and off on Michelins for 25 years, and never had that issue.
Mileage? I do not want tire that lasts 60k. Tires that last 60k are Kumho, Ling Long etc. I got brand new Kumho Ecsta LX (something like that) on CPO VW CC and after 12k they looked brand new. However, when braking in wet conditions praying is best way to stop car, because tires definitely won't. By 15k three out of four tires could not be balanced. But hey, tread was looking brand new.
Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Those would flip the car before they let go in wet during cornering. Not to mention that at 3/32 they still cut through water like razor.

Last edited:

What dry rot issue? I drive on and off on Michelins for 25 years, and never had that issue.
Mileage? I do not want tire that lasts 60k. Tires that last 60k are Kumho, Ling Long etc. I got brand new Kumho Ecsta LX (something like that) on CPO VW CC and after 12k they looked brand new. However, when braking in wet conditions praying is best way to stop car, because tires definitely won't. By 15k three out of four tires could not be balanced. But hey, tread was looking brand new.
Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Those would flip the car before they let go in wet during cornering. Not to mention that at 3/32 they still cut through water like razor.

There are PLENTY of posts on BITOG about dry rot in MIchelin tires. Most prevalent for those who reside in the sunbelt, but not exclusively. You must have missed them.

Yep, had three sets of Michelin, none performed to my satisfaction--two sets wore out in 30k, third suffered dry rot after a couple years & about 40k. Three strikes and you're out. Good traction in wet but ultimately short lifespan for the cost. Ultimately I find it easier to slow down in the rain and pocket the savings--I too have been driving for 25 years (almost 600,000 miles) and never had a problem across many sets of tires.

Originally Posted by supton
Yep, had three sets of Michelin, none performed to my satisfaction--two sets wore out in 30k, third suffered dry rot after a couple years & about 40k. Three strikes and you're out. Good traction in wet but ultimately short lifespan for the cost. Ultimately I find it easier to slow down in the rain and pocket the savings--I too have been driving for 25 years (almost 600,000 miles) and never had a problem across many sets of tires.

Anything above that is not a tire, it is plastic.

IDK, I live now at 6800ft, in state with more than 300 sunny days, and worse UV radiation than AZ, NV etc.
Yes, I saw several posts. But maybe I did not have issues bcs I usually wear out tires after 2-3 years, because, well, I drive.

yep, those horrible Michelins. Sorry but the story gets worse with every repetition. Yep, those crappy LTX's, widely acclaimed both here and elsewhere. Quieter, smoother, longer lasting than any other tire we have ever used in decades of driving 4.5 ton vans around multiple counties. Silverados where the tires will practically last as long as we want to keep the truck! Killer wet road manners. My sig car with ridiculously good new Pilot 4s's, so sticky my easy wheelspin is practically gone, and a 30k mile warranty.

Of course all of these vehicles are driven daily and we don't try and get a ton of years out of ours. No problems with rotting, and it should be noted I cannot recall any significant sidewall rot on ANY tire bought across just shy of 50 years of owning cars and trucks.

And like edyvw I greatly prefer traction to long life. Somehow I get both with my choice.

Originally Posted by CKN

There are PLENTY of posts on BITOG about dry rot in MIchelin tires. Most prevalent for those who reside in the sunbelt, but not exclusively. You must have missed them.

More than likely, he guzzled another drum of Kool-Aid and chanted "Michelin is perfect" 20 times.

That is one of the most ludicrous statements ever made on this site.

Chances are for what I use my truck for, I will likely just look for some great all terrains. So far, the 2 that have caught my eye are:
1)Hankook Dynapro A/T
2)Falken wildpeak AT3Ws

Does anyone have any opinions which one is better? Looking at the spec sheet, the hankooks seem very light compared to the others. Any imput?

IDK, I live now at 6800ft, in state with more than 300 sunny days, and worse UV radiation than AZ, NV etc.
Yes, I saw several posts. But maybe I did not have issues bcs I usually wear out tires after 2-3 years, because, well, I drive.

That's nice. You think I don't? The two sets that were done in 30k were on a car that did 25k/year. The one set that dry rotted was done in 3 years and about 40k; they did have tread left, but...

I realize though that you love Michelin and hate Toyota, so I'm not surprised that you'd think I don't drive much, hate driving, hate the concept of cars and have no idea about making compromises that meet my goals in life.

I realize though that you love Michelin and hate Toyota ...

No. edyvw owns a Toyota. He hates SUBARU's ... !

33.gif

That's nice. You think I don't? The two sets that were done in 30k were on a car that did 25k/year. The one set that dry rotted was done in 3 years and about 40k; they did have tread left, but...

I realize though that you love Michelin and hate Toyota, so I'm not surprised that you'd think I don't drive much, hate driving, hate the concept of cars and have no idea about making compromises that meet my goals in life.

IDK, I had numerous Michelin tires that were multiple years on some vehicles, but never had rotten. As for 30k life span, not such concern for me. Like I told you, I do not want tire that lasts 60k as that come with other compromises.

Originally Posted by geeman789

I realize though that you love Michelin and hate Toyota ...

No. edyvw owns a Toyota. He hates SUBARU's ... !

33.gif

I do actually hate Toyota. It is same as Subaru. Like GE microwave compared to Sumsung microwave. It is microwave.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

That is one of the most ludicrous statements ever made on this site.

Long lifespan of tire comes at expense of performance.
When I drive tire for specific time of the year, I want maximum performance of that tire in conditions they should perform in. I put braking, wet braking and handling, etc. before lifespan.
There are other ways to save money, and tires are not smart way to save money.
In the end of the day, no test showed that Linglong is anywhere close to any major brand or even third tier tire brands. So, one will save money at expense of safety?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back