Lifted Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in quiet beach town. During the summer months there is an endless parade of very noisy lifted trucks on the road in front of my house. With their chunky tires and loud exhausts they announce themselves way before I might see them. What is the purpose of modifying a truck so that it;

handles badly
gets terrible fuel mileage
poses a serious collision danger to other drivers because of their extreme bumper height
blinds drivers at night because of the elevation of their headlights

It can't be because they are used off-road. Most are cleaner than my car. Never see one with a snow plow on front. Don't look like they are work trucks.

I don't get it.

People like what they like. I am not into lifted trucks, not my thing. I have a one ton I use to pull my travel trailer and I will never lift it.
Too much work, I would have to change gears and get it tuned you are looking at 3000 to 5000 bucks to have it done correctly.
Plus to me it make the truck useless from my application.

I'll be honest never understood why anyone purchased a Saab, but they did. See what I am getting at there?

Two of my buddies have them and when the lift is correct they handle just like stock, but they spent a good amount of money on their lifts.

I hear ya! Not all people buy things that are practical unfortunately. People had comments when I bought a JK Wrangler. I bought it because I wanted it, and in all truth that was the only reason for me buying it. I'm not a fan of motorcycles, but I wouldn't criticize someone for buying one.

Bro trucks. Only modified for appearance purposes because they care too much about what other people think. Similar to Napoleon complex. We have social media to thank for this trend.

Lift kits started as a means to install larger tires for off-road use … I'm old enough to know there was a time you would not see them all over the city … you'd see them at the duck hunting camp coated with mud.

However … during the floods in Houston … these bubba's rescued people including one of my senior engineers
Some could drive deep enough to even launch a shallow draft boat.

Loud exhaust in my area is mostly Harley, KW, 2WD pickups, or hotrods … some of these guys will realize how bad mud tires are on the road … and get something milder next set.

Having said all that … many purchases are testosterone related 🥴

Originally Posted by 4WD
Lift kits started as a means to install larger tires for off-road use … I'm old enough to know there was a time you would not see them all over the city … you'd see them at the duck hunting camp coated with mud.

However … during the floods in Houston … these bubba's rescued people including one of my senior engineers
Some could drive deep enough to even launch a shallow draft boat.

Loud exhaust in my area is mostly Harley, KW, 2WD pickups, or hotrods … some of these guys will realize how bad mud tires are on the road … and get something milder next set.

Having said all that … many purchases are testosterone related 🥴

This right here is a sensible response.

I like tastefully lifted trucks. To me, that means a good quality, 3-6" lift kit, properly installed, and some larger than stock all-terrain tires to go with it. Add in maybe one light bar (for off road use only) and a mild aftermarket muffler that gives the V8 a little more of a rumble, and you have a cool truck.

The crazy lifts, massive rims with skinny tires, straight piped Cummins that sound like Bigfoot [censored], ick.

Get off my lawn..stupid kids !!
mad.gif

IIRC it's called "signaling". Like a peacock, they are displaying their masculinity and ability to accumulate / have access to resources and hopefully attract a mate. The "feathers", in this case is a lifted-truck.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
When I was young, I was interested in modified Vehicles. They look cool, set you apart etc.... Yeah chicks might dig it.

You know who else digs those rides? Thieves and those jealous types that may vandalize your ride because they have nothing better to do.

After a few friends had car thefts, stereo thefts etc. I changed my ways. Flashy rides just mean trouble IMO. I like lower insurance premiums and maintenance costs. A vehicle is an appliance to get you from Point A to B and back again.

Hey it creates jobs, puts money into the economy. I've got better things to spend my money on, but hey that's me.

Thank goodness the bass craze has slowed down. I remember when my kids and nephews got into it. A few years later and every fastener in the cars were loose. lol

We call 'em "bubba buggies". Our condo is right on the beach, and on the roadway side on a Friday or Saturday evening there's a steady stream of them. We're ocean-facing, so we don't get to hear them.

Personally I find them ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Passport1

I live in quiet beach town. During the summer months there is an endless parade of very noisy lifted trucks on the road in front of my house. With their chunky tires and loud exhausts they announce themselves way before I might see them....

I hear a lot of them in my formerly quiet Idaho neighborhood. I am definitely not a fan of diesel (or gas) pickups that have had their muffler removed. I often hear a loud roar in the distance and expect to see an old logging truck pulling 2 trailers, but it is only a lifted diesel pickup pulling a bed full of air.

I don't really get it, but I don't spend my money on it either. If they do, then have at it.

What bothers me the most is the exhaust systems specifically designed for noise. Harley's with straight pipes, no mufflers on sporty cars, no mufflers on turbo vehicles cause the turbo quietens them down according to some. It is noise pollution at the highest level.

Here, lifted trucks are known as RIG ROCKETS. And if you work at a drilling site, you sometimes NEED a lifted truck with mud tires to have any chance of getting to the work site. And getting to the work site means getting paid VERY WELL .

This one is $ 65 000 ...

[Linked Image]

My Colorado is lifted but not too much. I have Nitto Grapplers which have a good but not over the top look. I wouldn't have done this myself but it was like this when I bought it for a good deal. I'm used to it now and have grown to like it. I do have a normal sounding engine.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
IIRC it's called "signaling". Like a peacock, they are displaying their ability to accumulate giant amounts of debt/ have access to resources and hopefully attract a mate. The "feathers", in this case is a lifted-truck.
grin2.gif

Fixed.
grin2.gif

The alignment shop in the next town over hates them. He says the kids buy these, put cheap lift kits on them and they are impossible to get aligned correctly. When faced with bills to replace tires after 12k miles or suspension parts the vehicle owner usually flips out and causes a huge scene with his macho-ness in the waiting room and yells about work being too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back